RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, great forum. I have been looking at getting the diesel Ram for a while and after reading posts here decided to get to it. I went to a Ram dealer in town and he was clueless about how to get one. So today I went to Allentown to the biggest dealer in this part of the state. Met with a salesman and same result. No idea of what I was looking for. Showed me rows of nice Ram trucks with the gas motor. So he calls in the manager and after an hour of BS it is determined that I can not order a diesel with 2 wheel drive. The manager told me only 4 wheel drive trucks were being built. He also said that none were available to be ordered by an individual with user selected options. He said all trucks built so far were configured by the factory without any buyer selected options.

After reading all the stories here about trucks ordered, etc. I wonder what the guy was talking about? So I have to ask: Can I order a 2wd Ram 1500 with the diesel? If so, any suggestions on how to find a dealer who knows whats going on?

I don't need the truck immediately so this isn't the end of the world. It just makes me wonder how things could be so confused. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hal

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Just go to a real dealer. Don't take the salesman's word for it. Sit down at the ordering computer, at the dealership... and let it tell you if you can get it or not. As far as I know... you can get a quad, or crew cab in 2wd, with any of the options you want. The standard cab 1500's are built in Mexico... and I don't think they are building the ecodiesel's yet.

With that said.... if you live in PA... why do you want a 2wd? Winters suck without 4wd.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Absolutely you can order a 2wd diesel!! I can't believe the misinformation about these trucks from reading some of your guys stories, it's crazy!! Also you can put whatever options YOU want that are available....

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Here's a list of what can, and can't be ordered. It was from a couple weeks ago, but I think it's still standing.

And here are the ordering changes that are open today:

-Rambox now available on EcoDiesel Longhorn Longbox
-20-inch semi-gloss wheels replace the 20-inch high gloss wheels on black express and outdoorsman
-EcoDiesel outdoorsman must have the 20-inch wheels (WHE/WHN codes)
-Quad cab air suspension with 4x4 is now available (Non-Eco)
-20-inch wheels (WRT) is now available for Longhorn/Limited

What can't be ordered right now?
-EcoDiesel Regular cab
-EcoDiesel 4x2 Crew LongBbox & 4x4 Quad Cab
-EcoDiesel 4x4 Quad with Air Suspension

EcoDiesel may now be available as a sold-only order. I'm not 100% sure on that

(Don't shoot the messenger...)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Welcome, a0m397x! (Looks like a password.)

The runaround seems to be the sad story with some dealers. You might want to do some research before visiting a dealer to save time and frustration. In fact, deal directly with internet sales if you can. You might also want to try a buying service or broker if it gets too frustrating.

A quick inventory search in PA shows an EcoDiesel in stock at Savage 61 Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram in Reading, Ladd-Hanford Dodge Ram Chrysler Jeep Mazda in Lebanon, and Jeff D'Ambrosio Auto Group in Downingtown. I don't know anything else about these dealers but it shows that there are some trucks in your area.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick replys. I want a 2wd crew cab with the short bed. The sales manager must be a real tool. I guess the next area I will have to check is Philadelphia.

To answer the question:

With that said.... if you live in PA... why do you want a 2wd? Winters suck without 4wd

I have 2 4 wheel drive trucks already so I want this one to haul a trailer. I will only be doing that in good weather so 2wd is what I want. Trying to get the lightest truck to do the job.

Thanks again! If anyone has a tip on a dealer in eastern PA who knows what is going on, please let me know.

Hal

·
Registered
346 Posts
Absolutely you can order a 2wd diesel!! I can't believe the misinformation about these trucks from reading some of your guys stories, it's crazy!! Also you can put whatever options YOU want that are available....
Almost whatever options. There are certain "requirements" on the EDs, especially the Outdoorsman, as has been discussed on other threads

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
Still want to remind you to run, don't walk away from that dealer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Test drove a 2 WD CC big horn last night here in Huntsville al. Sales rep that I had been talking to called and told me he had one come in. Didn't tell me what it was as I looking at a Laramie. Was really impressed with it. I had driven a Jeep Grand with the diesel and was sold on it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
After I drove it and went inside to see what kind of price I was looking at the sales rep could not pull up a any type of Ram with the ecodiesel option in the system. He said he would give me a call when he could give me a quote to order. Still haven't heard from him. Asked what he would sell one and told me invoice. I asked about the hold back and boy did he get defensive. Said absolutely no hold back. that wasn't even negotiable.

·
Registered
396 Posts
it looks like it is about 4.5 hours but Diehl Chrysler Jeep Dodge 258 Pittsburgh Rd Butler, PA 16002 gave me a price 3% under invoice but I decided to go to Chardon because I have family there. might worth a try.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Contacted two dealers today and neither could do the ED order.... hoping they open up again soon... this rental car sux!

·
Registered
279 Posts
2 Wheel drive, ? well remember, Allentown is almost in New Jersey !!

At the dealer, Unless you know the salesperson and have trust in them and have dealt with them before, When you go to a dealer, especially for the first time, tell yourself, "the person I am going to deal with is a dumb ass". Keep telling yourself that, until they prove you wrong.

·
Registered
279 Posts
2 dealers nearby here in PA, Nail mentioned Dielh, they are one of them... good outfit, Corina is the owner, and her people treat a customer well. And Mark (aka Egyptian Mark) at Ron Lewis in Cranberry township.

Also there is Soloman in Fayette County, my brother bought his 2012 Ram 2500 there, and Waynesburg Chysler/Dodge.

Dielh is 15 minutes from where I live, and Ron Lewis-Cranberry is less.

Marsman.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I'm going to try a few of the dealers you guys came up with today. I'll report back how I make out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I am out of luck it appears. I called one of the dealers localy that has one and they said they would get back to me. That was 6 hours ago. Then I called a big dealer in Philadelphia. He wouldn't quote a price unless I drove to the dealership and did it in person. That is a 4 hour round trip. Forget that. Finally I called another dealer that is only about 15 miles away. Talked to a great lady and she spent 20 minutes on the phone putting a quote together. She gets to the part with the motor option and she says all the colums are in red, meaning you can't order that combination. She looked into it a bit further and came up with "Due to constraints, no more diesel option for Ram 1500 trucks until June 10th." So I guess thats that.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
They may have just finally ran out of engines. June 10th may be when the next batch gets to the USA.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
...She looked into it a bit further and came up with "Due to constraints, no more diesel option for Ram 1500 trucks until June 10th." So I guess thats that.
Well, dang. If true that puts the brakes on Truck of the Year. :(

·
Registered
396 Posts
I did my entire process through email. I would send Diehl an email with your build and see what they say. The first price there sent me was invoice and I replied that I had a few better offers they then came back at 3% under.
Not saying the "no more orders till June" isn't true but there have been so many rumors and misinformed dealers I'm skeptical.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Finally got my registration approved so I could weigh in on this. I am interested in ordering a tradesman 2x4 quad cab ecodiesel. Ive spoken with 5 different dealers and non can order it, its literally not in their system if they choose quad cab 2x4. You can order it 4x4. And I just found out you can order it 2x4 crew cab. I spoke with dodge multiple times and got them to eventually walk across their building to speak with the ordering department managers to confirm this information. They are gonna get back to me, but at this point they don't know why it changed and if it will be back anytime soon.

So now the decision is quad cab 4x4 vs crew cab 2x4. Crew cab has more incentives and saves money, not sure what to do. Aggrivated I cant get what I want.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts