RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Returned earlier this week from our second major road trip in the EcoD while carrying a light-weight, slide-in, pop-up camper. Stats:
2,237 Miles
117 Gallons of fuel
19.1 MPG overall (seemed like we had a head wind no matter which way we drove.)
Highway speeds usually around 69-71 using cruise.
Fully loaded axle weight as measured at a Colorado State weigh station - Front 3760, Rear 4200
Running Goodyear Wrangler Silent Amour E rated tires at 55-57 PSI while hot.

Great trip with no truck issues. For those considering running with a camper I will say that I would not go any heavier than mine which has a dry weight of about 900lbs.
IMG_2179[1].JPG IMG_2143[1].JPG

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got kind of carried away with the numbers and failed to mention that it was almost all mountainous driving. Our route was:
Colorado national Monument - 1 night
Zion NP - 1N
Joshua Tree NP - 3N
National Forest out side of Prescott - 1N
Grand Canyon NP - 2N
Hot Springs in Colorado - 2N

·
Registered
311 Posts
What make is your slide in, and what floor plan? I like the outside look. I would swap my 5200lb loaded tt for that, and just tow a lightweight trailer behind to carry the extra stuff.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Nice, where are the tie downs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,021 Posts
That's pretty light with that "pop up" design. Kind of nice as running it is lowered and much less drag.

To gross near 8K lbs you have to be carrying 1,000 lbs of gear and people. You are lightweights. Probably a good thing.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What make is your slide in, and what floor plan? I like the outside look. I would swap my 5200lb loaded tt for that, and just tow a lightweight trailer behind to carry the extra stuff.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
It is an Outfitter Mfg. Caribou Lite for 6.5 ft. beds. Yes a small gear trailer would be great many times as we have 2-4 bikes on the back that creates minor issues getting in and of the back but the Thule rack we have is pretty good.

The camper has little storage so you end up shuffling things from the back of the cab to the camper and from the bed of the camper to the seat by the table. A lot more faffing about than with a trailer. On the other hand... we don't ever tow a trailer and go some places you would not want to go with a trailer. Like everything in life there are trade-offs.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Nice, where are the tie downs?

Good eye! The guy I bought the camper from (used) didn't want a bunch of outside tie downs on his truck so he had outfitter put a small door in each corner of the camper down low. He used a 1500 lb ratcheting tie down attached to the D rings in the bed - all accessed from the inside of the camper. This is what I have used on the last two trips but today after spending an hour trying to get them to release and eventually having to cut one free, I am looking at external tie downs

The internal system keeps it clean and seems to keep the camper from moving but it's a real PIA to attach and detach.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Good eye! The guy I bought the camper from (used) didn't want a bunch of outside tie downs on his truck so he had outfitter put a small door in each corner of the cmper down low. He used a 1500 lb ratcheting tie down attached to the D rings in the bed - all accessed from the inside of the camper. This is what I have used on the last two trips but today after spending an hour trying to get them to release and eventually having to cut one free, I am looking at external tie downs

The internal system keeps it clean and seems to keep the camper from moving but it's a real PIA to attach and detach.
Yes, I was hoping you weren't relying on gravity and friction.
That is a great setup. If it were a full camper I would be worried as those are only tacked into bed sheetmetal, but this camper is lightweight with a lot less surface area for wind resistance than a normal camper, you're good.
Wow, that is a great system, maybe inconvenient but you'll never snag tie-downs while driving through brush. And once it's set you don't have to do anything until it comes off.

On past campers using external tie downs, we found the eye bolts would pull apart and snap especially with any level of off road driving in the mix. Because an eye bolt is not a totally enclosed circle. So we replaced those with solid cast iron eyes and used some 2x2 anchor plate to help spread the load instead of just washers. Then to tie to the truck, ditch the straps for some good turn buckles again, the mild steel eye bolts on these would pull apart so some extreme duty cast iron ones were used on all 4 corners too. Once we did that we bounced the camper over and through every trail and never had an eye bolt open up on us again. A turnbuckle would be tremendously easier than a ratchet strap as you mentioned you had to cut one.

·
Super Moderator
3,093 Posts
Have you upgraded the sway bar or added air bags or springs or anything?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you upgraded the sway bar or added air bags or springs or anything?
Factory air suspension and factory sway bar. The only difference would be the Outdoorsman in 2015 came with "heavy Duty" rear shocks.

Both long road trips have been drama free from a ride and handling standpoint. No emergency maneuvers required but I keep a good distance from others. The truck handles strong cross winds and big bumps with ease. Really couldn't ask for a better ride.

·
Super Moderator
4,070 Posts
He used a 1500 lb ratcheting tie down attached to the D rings in the bed - all accessed from the inside of the camper. This is what I have used on the last two trips but today after spending an hour trying to get them to release and eventually having to cut one free, I am looking at external tie downs

Why not use turnbuckle adjusters with hooks to hold it down. It would be a lot easier to attach and disconnect.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I was riding my bike in town yesterday and rode by a Laramie Longhorn 1500 EcoD with a FULL size FULL height slide in camper in the bed and sticking out the back.

The truck was level (must have had air suspension). I checked the campers dry weight sticker on the back. It said 1,560 lbs dry weight with standard equipment. I bet it was easily weighing in at over 2000 lbs with water, battery, gear etc... The even more surprising thing was that the truck had the Goodyear SRA on it. A P rated tire.

I love my truck and like how it performs with my little, very light camper but I would never put that load in it.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have a similar setup and truck (2015, outdoorsman 3.92, etc. but 20" tires)... I did a 4k trip and got almost the exact mileage even with a GDE tune. The tune really hasn't given me any extra mpg's which is disappointing but I'll take the other benefits.

I do have a Four Wheel Camper on my truck but it's about the same weight (maybe a tad lighter) and I have air shocks installed. E rated Michelin's and run about 48psi.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts