RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 ED - 15k miles

So my motor dies while driving on 7/5. I can get it to crank, but no fire. The dealer says the whole fuel system is toast ($9,500) and it's not under warranty b/c it has gasoline in the tank. They send me pictures of the lifter pump, which is shredded and full of metal. I begin to lose what sense I had left.

FCA requires diesel fuel system repairs include a picture of the fuel sitting in a styrofoam cup so as to show there is no gasoline in the fuel (gas eats styrofoam, diesel doesn't). My fuel failed the test. So I file an insurance claim even though I KNOW I never put gas in the truck b/c I only fuel up at our own fuel tanks at our trucking company. Well I test our own 10k gallon tanks and they fail the styrofoam test. BUT, we test the fuel at a lab and guess what, it's only diesel....B20 BIODIESEL.....which, come to find out, also eats styrofoam.

So now I'm stuck in insurance/warranty purgatory and I'm left wondering what killed my lifter pump. Sorry for the long post, but I don't want to get stranded again.

TLDR: Why did my lifter pump fail and ruin my fuel system?

·
Administrator
9,675 Posts
That really sucks. If the lift pump failed it would seem to me the fuel filter would collect any debris (if there even was any). The lift pump is mounted in the fuel tank. I wonder if the dealer is referring to the high pressure fuel pump mounted to the front of the engine? In any case, warranty should cover it if you can prove there's no gas in the fuel. Can you get a sample from the truck?

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Make then put that unofficial test which is not an actual test in writing guaranteed thats not an offical test from fca. But before you do that show up randomly and make them pull a fuel sample while you watch and send it off for testing. Lots of dealers try and push cp4 failures on the customer so they make more.

·
Super Moderator
3,730 Posts
What doesn’t make sense is that while bio fuel is dirty it’s also a great lubricant.
How does that make a pump fail?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That really sucks. If the lift pump failed it would seem to me the fuel filter would collect any debris (if there even was any). The lift pump is mounted in the fuel tank. I wonder if the dealer is referring to the high pressure fuel pump mounted to the front of the engine? In any case, warranty should cover it if you can prove there's no gas in the fuel. Can you get a sample from the truck?
It’s the lifter pump. I do have a fuel sample that I can test if we get there. We already tested the fuel tanks and they’re just biodiesel.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I would want to see any test results showing gasoline contamination. If there is gasoline present, then they are right and it would between the insurance company and you,. No gasoline, then it's on Ram.

Reactions: jdpanero

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
HOLEY CRRRAP! $9,500 is new engine territory. Really hope u get this sorted out, but like others have said something doesn't sound right. Did the open the fuel filter to look for metal? That would be the first thing the lift pump metal would hit. I on the HPFP failure bandwagon... (High Pressure Fuel Pump)

·
Registered
419 Posts
As others have said, I can't believe a failed lift pump would warrant a complete fuel system replacement. Anything from the lift pump would go straight to the filter and that is a 3 micron filter, not much will get past it.

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Premium Member
2,785 Posts
It’s the lifter pump. I do have a fuel sample that I can test if we get there. We already tested the fuel tanks and they’re just biodiesel.
Lift pumps don't send metal through your fuel system. the high pressure pump does. Like Brokendown said, Your CP4.2 failed - the main injection pump. You need to pull a fuel sample and have it tested for contamination. Then contact FCA and let them know your dealership is trying to scam you.

·
Registered
400 Posts
So by your own admission, you put B20 in your truck's tank. In that case, this little tidbit in the manual will hamper any chances you have of getting Stellantis/FCA to help you because B20 is really pushing it.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Styrofoam cup test is not very scientific, I call serious BS. Send off a fuel sample to be professionally tested.

There was someone here on the forum that had a fuel pump failure and the service department claimed there was DEF in the fuel tank sample. Their testing method was to pour a fuel sample on top of a dirty metal workbench. If any white residue was left after evaporation they claimed it meant there was DEF in the fuel. He sent in his own sample that determined the fuel was pure diesel.

In most cases it is not Chrysler that denies warranty claims. Service departments make less money on warranty work and some will try to avoid honoring warranty and charge standard rates if they can get by with it. Don't let them get by with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Everyone saying it’s the High Pressure Fuel Pump is correct. Sorry, I have never touched anything on these fuel systems and don’t know the fuel flow diagram between the fuel tank and the combustion chambers. Regardless, I paid and now have the truck back and am currently stuck waiting on calls back and am in insurance/warranty purgatory. I’m 95% sure I’ll get my money, but I still don’t know how or why the pump failed.

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
255 Posts
So by your own admission, you put B20 in your truck's tank. In that case, this little tidbit in the manual will hamper any chances you have of getting Stellantis/FCA to help you because B20 is really pushing it.

View attachment 90040
Not covered if it's GREATER than 20%. If it's 20%, that exclusion doesn't apply.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Not covered if it's GREATER than 20%. If it's 20%, that exclusion doesn't apply.
Unless it wasn't produced by a BQ9000 supplier. That could also be a loophole depending on where the fuel is sourced from. If it sat in the truck for a long period of time they can also use that as a reason. who knows, hopefully they cover it. Thats a big chunk of money to have to spend...

·
Registered
400 Posts
You missed the part where I said "20% is pushing it". Point being, the dealership can snake their way out of that easily if you're living on the ragged edge.

Reactions: MR. TED
1 - 20 of 27 Posts