RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there I was half asleep and making my way into work in my brand new Laramie ED when the truck dies. I'm driving away and the check engine light comes on as well as the oil pressure light and the engine just dies. I managed to get it over to the side of the road and contacted the Roadside assistance. To say the least I was pretty upset. There's 600km on the vehicle and I took possession 6 days ago.

Dealer hooks it up to the diagnostic system and looks like the Powertrain Control Module blew. Six days and I have a rental car. I understand that things happen but I'm pretty upset over this. The part is backordered so it could be well over a week before it even comes into the shop.

Lets add in that they put a damaged fender flare on as well as the glue on the rest are lifting... guess 50g's doesn't go as far as it use to eh?

In a bit of a self pitty mode... don't mind me.

Matt
:(

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Ouch, that sucks!

Why would a module fail so quickly? Perhaps the supply line is stretched too thin.

sign0013.gif

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
So there I was half asleep and making my way into work in my brand new Laramie ED when the truck dies. I'm driving away and the check engine light comes on as well as the oil pressure light and the engine just dies. I managed to get it over to the side of the road and contacted the Roadside assistance. To say the least I was pretty upset. There's 600km on the vehicle and I took possession 6 days ago.

Dealer hooks it up to the diagnostic system and looks like the Powertrain Control Module blew. Six days and I have a rental car. I understand that things happen but I'm pretty upset over this. The part is backordered so it could be well over a week before it even comes into the shop.

Lets add in that they put a damaged fender flare on as well as the glue on the rest are lifting... guess 50g's doesn't go as far as it use to eh?

In a bit of a self pitty mode... don't mind me.

Matt
:(
That sucks, plain and simple.

Do you happen to have Amp Research powered side steps installed? A few RAM owners have had failed PCMs due, apparently, to the install of these. Not caused by the Amp product per se, but due to where the installers have tapped into wiring to get power.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Wow that's a really crappy way to start the day... hopefully they can track down the issue and scrounge up a new PCM quickly.

·
Registered
391 Posts
wow. very sorry to hear about that. hopefully they take care of it asap.

bigfoot - really? that is interesting to hear. as i am planing on putting them on my truck. Were they tapping into the wrong wire to get the trigger for the door or what?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Even on motorcycles (my BMW F800GSA) are very particular about adding on power usage items. "IF" this were the cause, wouldn't surprise me, see this all the time on bikes with a "CANBUS" type system.

·
Registered
274 Posts
wow. very sorry to hear about that. hopefully they take care of it asap.

bigfoot - really? that is interesting to hear. as i am planing on putting them on my truck. Were they tapping into the wrong wire to get the trigger for the door or what?
Amp Research is releasing a new version of the PowerSteps for the Ram 1500 very soon that eliminates the need to tap into the doors wiring. Simply a Plug N Play setup that uses the OBDII port for door signals. I'm waiting for it myself so that i avoid altogether the possible PCM damage others have run into during installation. Rolling Smoke Diesel has stated they will be carrying the new model soon and we get a 10% forum member discount!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Amp Research is releasing a new version of the PowerSteps for the Ram 1500 very soon that eliminates the need to tap into the doors wiring. Simply a Plug N Play setup that uses the OBDII port for door signals. I'm waiting for it myself so that i avoid altogether the possible PCM damage others have run into during installation. Rolling Smoke Diesel has stated they will be carrying the new model soon and we get a 10% forum member discount!
That is exactly what i am waiting for! not in a real hurry for them and plug and play sounds pretty nice. My last set i had to tap in on my 06 2500 and it wasnt bad. But id much rather just plug it in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No Sportsguy... I don't have the powered side steps. I'm just really pissed. I've owned a foreign vehicle for the last 10 years with 0 problems. I go back to a domestic and within 6 days it's in the shop. Not sure what that says about quality control but in my opinion it's not good.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I feel your pain. These issue unfortunately are going to happen especially with new engine and stuff. I am trying to get me a Laramie with no luck because dealers around me only have Big Horn models. I am planning on these issues happening but hopefully they fix you up and that is last problem you have.. And you have a nice diesel good powered half ton that gets great mileage. I think as long as there isn't anyting constant they cant fix and have issues constantly these will be very great trucks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. I'm going down to the dealership to speak to the service manager. They haven't been fantastic with me and didn't return my calls today. I'm less than impressed with the way I've been handled. It almost feels like they're running away from the embarrassment that is this truck. There are a significant amount of cosmetic issues too. Fender flares, rear seat is curling from factory, hood has black pocks into the clear coat... not what I expected for 50 grand. I want to love the truck but this experience is making it hard.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Thanks everyone. I'm going down to the dealership to speak to the service manager. They haven't been fantastic with me and didn't return my calls today. I'm less than impressed with the way I've been handled. It almost feels like they're running away from the embarrassment that is this truck. There are a significant amount of cosmetic issues too. Fender flares, rear seat is curling from factory, hood has black pocks into the clear coat... not what I expected for 50 grand. I want to love the truck but this experience is making it hard.
The dealer is so important in how our experience turns out. Unfortunately they seem to vary a lot. Let's hope that Ram steps in to help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have an appointment today with the service manager. His words: "off the record... I've done some digging and I'm the person who can authorize a new vehicle for you". Let's see if he can own up to his off the record words. It sounds to me right now that they're taking this serious especially because it failed at highway speeds and there could have been a serious injury in relation to the vehicle just shutting down 6 days after I took possession. Fingers crossed they're going to make this right.

·
Registered
231 Posts
i bet they do. they will take it back put you in a new and fix that one and sell as demo down the road when it is for sure right. Everyone wins. Then you get you a new truck and hopefully no issues or big issues with it and have many good years and great mileage with it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well it's been called into Chrysler Canada for review. We'll hear back next week. I'm still doubtful of a complete replacement but we'll see. Because it happened at highway speeds I seem to have some sympathy.

Lets see...

·
Registered
940 Posts
Man I feel for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update to my saga.

So, today I learned that a new PCM came into the dealership and was installed. Was told by the service manager that the part was not recognized by the vehicle and wouldn't work. Well, now I'm officially upset as the truck as been off the road longer than it's been on the road now. Please keep in mind I had it for 6 days and put only 600km on it. Insane. The truck was towed from the dealership in Abbotsford BC to where I bought it at Coquitlam BC. They say they have a level 3 technician there who will be able to wave his magic wand and fix all my problems. They're not even considering a replacement at this point as they say the problem can be fixed even though I stalled out at 120 kilometres per hour on the highway with no airbags. Sound familiar? Yup... identical to the GM ignition switch failures... just a different part. GM recognized the death of 13 people in this case. Not a comforting thought.

I'm not sure where to go but I need to put pressure on these folks. I'm not comfortable with this vehicle anymore. To all my Canadian friends... would you please consider writing Chrysler Canada on my behalf and supporting me? Fighting the big machine is proving difficult and I'm just not sure where else to go.

Thanks for reading.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts