RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel, Blue, Big Horn, Ram Boxes, 4x4, 3.55 gear ratio,
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am looking for your input. Tell me if this is normal or not or if you have an idea what is going on. Any time my truck starts when the coolant temp reads below about 70-65 degrees or lower, and once it revs up into high idle (Yes i have the new GDE Tune) or if i was to take off and drive getting RPMS above low idle the truck will start shaking. The colder it is the worse it is. it will only do it until coolant raises above 70, but wont stop doing it either until it reaches 70 or i press the brack the the tune lowers my rpms but as soon as i revs up again it is back until i reach temp. Now I bought this truck in oct 2019 I believe. It had a brand new engine when I got it. At the time it was warm enough it never did it. Truck went in for service in November i believe and the flashed to AEM without me really knowing all about that issue. After that ofcourse the truck always ran like crap until it warmed up. Me and the dealer blamed it all on that, which i am sure most of my problems at the time where that at the time. Once the weather warmed again it went away. Still unhappy with the AEM update, I eventually purchased the GDE Tune. I was nervous about spending that kinda money, came from a world where tunes were frowned upon. Once installed, I admit I ate crow and the truck was like a new truck again. Gotta hand it to them, they did good. Coming from me that is saying something. After that I did notice once the cold weather returned the shaking came back. Called GDE, they suggested perhaps a glow plug was acting up. I had wondered that too, but have no warning lights or codes for that, shouldn't i if that where the case? Eventually i took it to the dealer again for that and some other issues mentioned the glow plug. Dealer was convinced this was a sign of the plugged up intake manifolds as bulletins have talked about, they screwed around with it forever and I finally got it back in april I believe. Ofcourse by then temps had warmed up and it wasnt doing it anymore. well now it is november in IL and the Temps have dropped. Guess what, it's back. i almost feel like it is getting worse. once the truck warms up over 70 it smooths out runs smoother and you would never know it. I realize diesels need to warm up, but in have been around alot of deisel engines and never seen one shake everything this vigorously. Does everyone elses Eco do this? I have never seen any other coments about this and the other day a coworker had to give me crap about it sounding like crap warming up. and all these guys have diesel trucks too, other brands ofcourse. Any idea guys? Sorry i am long winded. Hope I posted this in the right section. I have a mechanical back ground but I am no mechanic. I am open to ideas. Thanks in Advance.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
i wonder if you have a bad temp sensor somewhere. Perhaps an intake air temp sensor, water temp sensor (not sure if the gauge is driven off the same temp as the ECU).

Glow plugs could definitely be the culprit. Just cause it's drawing power doesn't mean its heating properly. Can you post a video of how it sounds when warming up? mine clatters more when cold for sure. no vibration. you either have a compression issue, Glow plug or fuel delivery. Most likely fuel, second glow plug and least likely compression.

How many miles? Can you dump some injector cleaner in there? run a few tanks with a healthy Diesel Kleen.

·
Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 253,000 KM.
1,779 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong here but how could glow plugs be the issue if they are only on until actual start up?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I have used a couple doses of Hot Shot's Secret Diesel Extreme here recently and in the past as well. I also run Stanadyne Peformance Formula pretty consistently all year round for all its benefits. I have experimented with other products a couple times without really noticing any difference. I also change my fuel filter pretty regularly every other oil change. Although admitedly i did not have time last time and will be trying to get to that soon. but this has always happend even before now as i mentioned above.

I will try to get a video of the truck running. Not sure how well it will show up on camera but I will try.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,305 Posts
For the video, take it from outside where we can hear the engine. I wonder if it's not a bad engine mount/dampener. A diesel will rattle more when cold, so maybe it sounds and feels worse due to a failed dampener. The glow plug is also a good suggestion. Although you don't really need them above 50, they will make a slight difference in starting at the middle temps. I see this more in my VW than in my Ram.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong here but how could glow plugs be the issue if they are only on until actual start up?
Because glow plugs are always hot and aid combustion.

The battery heats them up when the engine is off/cold.

Once running combustion heat keeps them hot..

A hot diesel doesnt need them once hot. A cold, low compression diesel (like our 17:1) engines will run like ass without them until the engine heats up.

This isnt necessarily the problem here just a possibility.

·
Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 253,000 KM.
1,779 Posts

A hot diesel doesnt need them once hot. A cold, low compression diesel (like our 17:1) engines will run like ass without them until the engine heats up.

Ah....thanks for the explanation.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A lot of good suggestions here, thanks guys. I was not able to get a very good video of it the last couple days since we have had a bit of a warmer spell. it would do it only briefly before reaching temp and mellowing out. Perhaps i will get a colder morning here where it will do that for a bit longer. hopefully it will be noticeable in the clip.

As for the block heater, i have one and use it when truely cold out. I shouldn't have to use it in 50, 60 degree weather though. Also i travel for work quite a bit and am not able to always use a block heater at my hotel stays. That is just masking the problem really. i try to use it as often as i can though.

There might be something to the engine mount suggestion ncskibum had. I have found several unfinished issues on the truck from when the engine was replaced. it would not surprise me if an engine mount was loose amplifying a normal or abnormal shudder.

Glow Plugs, how would i test the glow plugs to prove or disprove an issue there? i just assumed if the light never came on for a problem or no code ever showed up they were likely fine. but from what you guys are saying that may not be the case. I also assumed mentioning this to the dealer when it was in that time that they would have checked this. but we all know what happens when you assume. haha.

Fuel Delivery, were are you thinking i should start looking there? This continues to happen despite me changing fuel filters. Fuel does not gel this warm. An injector issue? Run's fine once warm. No fuel leaks. Why would i have fuel pressure issues at cold start and not any other time?

Isn't there some kind sensor in the intake guys talk about getting dirty and needing cleaned? could that cause something like this? I would assume that would have been cleaned/replaced when the intake manifold was replaced. or at the very least would have come new with the new engine. but there are those assumptions again.

I will try to get you guys more info and video soon. i will also try to look at the engine mounts just to rule that out. If you have more suggestions or instructions on how to confirm these other issues I am all ears. Thanks to all for your help.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Not really. A diesel engine fires from compression. The hotter the cylinder the quicker the compression can build to a ignition point. Glow plugs are only used to get the cylinder up to temp. Once it's hot enough, the glow plugs shut off. unless you're at extreme low temps, the glow plugs are only on for a matter of seconds.

·
Registered
135 Posts
A lot of good suggestions here, thanks guys. I was not able to get a very good video of it the last couple days since we have had a bit of a warmer spell. it would do it only briefly before reaching temp and mellowing out. Perhaps i will get a colder morning here where it will do that for a bit longer. hopefully it will be noticeable in the clip.

As for the block heater, i have one and use it when truely cold out. I shouldn't have to use it in 50, 60 degree weather though. Also i travel for work quite a bit and am not able to always use a block heater at my hotel stays. That is just masking the problem really. i try to use it as often as i can though.

There might be something to the engine mount suggestion ncskibum had. I have found several unfinished issues on the truck from when the engine was replaced. it would not surprise me if an engine mount was loose amplifying a normal or abnormal shudder.

Glow Plugs, how would i test the glow plugs to prove or disprove an issue there? i just assumed if the light never came on for a problem or no code ever showed up they were likely fine. but from what you guys are saying that may not be the case. I also assumed mentioning this to the dealer when it was in that time that they would have checked this. but we all know what happens when you assume. haha.

Fuel Delivery, were are you thinking i should start looking there? This continues to happen despite me changing fuel filters. Fuel does not gel this warm. An injector issue? Run's fine once warm. No fuel leaks. Why would i have fuel pressure issues at cold start and not any other time?

Isn't there some kind sensor in the intake guys talk about getting dirty and needing cleaned? could that cause something like this? I would assume that would have been cleaned/replaced when the intake manifold was replaced. or at the very least would have come new with the new engine. but there are those assumptions again.

I will try to get you guys more info and video soon. i will also try to look at the engine mounts just to rule that out. If you have more suggestions or instructions on how to confirm these other issues I am all ears. Thanks to all for your help.
One other possible suggestion is a sticky injector. I recently put an engine in a truck with used injectors, and she bucked like a bronco until I swapped out a couple of the injectors with ones that I knew were good. No trouble codes, so I had to swap them out one at a time until I found the one that was under-performing. Good luck

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One other possible suggestion is a sticky injector. I recently put an engine in a truck with used injectors, and she bucked like a bronco until I swapped out a couple of the injectors with ones that I knew were good. No trouble codes, so I had to swap them out one at a time until I found the one that was under-performing. Good luck
So sounds like I need to find an Injection Pump shop that can test my injectors.

Do you know are the OEM Replacement engines coming with new injectors or do they reuse the old ones? Just curious. Since this one was replaced. Not that it matters in this situation.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think it depends on which one you get. My understanding is that the "new" engines come with all new parts. Remanufactured may be a different story
Also, if the replacement was a long block, all the bolt-ons (turbo, injectors, intake manifold, etc) would have been re-used

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
So sounds like I need to find an Injection Pump shop that can test my injectors.

Do you know are the OEM Replacement engines coming with new injectors or do they reuse the old ones? Just curious. Since this one was replaced. Not that it matters in this situation.
Do you know why the engine was replaced? If the engine was replaced due to a failed hpfp, perhaps the shop did not do a good enough job of cleaning all the crap out of the fuel system. That may have caused a blockage in on of the injectors. As 67_valiant suggested, you might need to replace injectors one at a time until you solve the issue.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Not really. A diesel engine fires from compression. The hotter the cylinder the quicker the compression can build to a ignition point. Glow plugs are only used to get the cylinder up to temp. Once it's hot enough, the glow plugs shut off. unless you're at extreme low temps, the glow plugs are only on for a matter of seconds.
your glow plugs on a non IDI engine still maintain a lot heat even if they are "off". The combustion in the cylinder keeps them hot.They play less of a role when the cylinder is hot but they are definitely still very hot and contribute to detonating the fuel..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts