RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2018 SLT+ Crewcab Ecodiesel
100 Posts
I think if you just unplug any injector from a smooth running engine you’ll have an idea if that’s the issue. Then if it shakes like you described, you’ll have to find the offending injector.

·
Registered
2016 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel, Blue, Big Horn, Ram Boxes, 4x4, 3.55 gear ratio,
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Do you know why the engine was replaced? If the engine was replaced due to a failed hpfp, perhaps the shop did not do a good enough job of cleaning all the crap out of the fuel system. That may have caused a blockage in on of the injectors. As 67_valiant suggested, you might need to replace injectors one at a time until you solve the issue.
The engine was replaced supposedly because of a failed rear main seal that dumped all the oil out and locked up the engine going down the highway. The dealer was not very forthcoming with info about this, in fact they tried to hide it from me. But that is a discussion for another day. It was traded into them like that. I do believe the answer they finally gave me was mostly true as it would explain all the seemingly fresh film of engine oil coating the underside of the truck they apparently forgot to wash off and didn't expect me to crawl under and check things out.

I would assume all the fuel system components were swapped over to this engine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well i should probably test and verify some of our cheaper options before i start replacing injectors. Have we all ruled out glow plugs? If not i figure it is atleast worth testing for. How do i test the glow plugs?

Once i get that out of the way, injectors. So you are saying i can just unplug the injectors one at a time when it is running rough and if nothing changes that is probably it. If it gets worse it probably was not that injector. did i understand that right? that is not gonna cause issues with the computer? Someone mentioned using Alpha OBD tool. I like the sound of this, i will have to look into that. has anyone here ever used it to monitor injectors before? Sounds like i can watch what each injector is doing and in turn find my culprit if that truely is the problem.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
TractorMan… I’ve dealt with quite a few sticking injectors …. And gummed up /sticking injection pumps….

Here’s my remedy, My injection shop explained to me … Your using Stanadyne injection cleaner Good stuff….My Other choice SeaFoam …

I double dose the fuel tank recommendation, I get my diesel up to full operating temperatures,I remove the fuel filter and fill it 100 percent with Stanadyne diesel cleaner, Yes your truck will be running on slightly pure Diesel cleaner for Several minutes , Then go and immediately drive your truck for at least an hour, These injector cleaners work MUCH better with heat to break down the sticky waxy build up causing the injector issues ….

I’ve been doing this procedure for over 30 years, Including Common Rail diesels …

Are you slightly loosing Coolant? A slight head gasket / Cracked head leak will cause identical symptoms…

·
Registered
2017 Laramie eco HD Diesel Supply tuned and stage 2 deleted at 30k.
178 Posts
My first thought is a faulty injector. I’m using the logic of a misfire in gas engines. It throws the crank off balance if one cylinder isn’t doing its job and these are small flywheels. With increased temp it balances out. You would think it would throw a code. Everything else including a rancid fart in the cab triggers one.

·
Registered
2017 Laramie eco HD Diesel Supply tuned and stage 2 deleted at 30k.
178 Posts
TractorMan… I’ve dealt with quite a few sticking injectors …. And gummed up /sticking injection pumps….

Here’s my remedy, My injection shop explained to me … Your using Stanadyne injection cleaner Good stuff….My Other choice SeaFoam …

I double dose the fuel tank recommendation, I get my diesel up to full operating temperatures,I remove the fuel filter and fill it 100 percent with Stanadyne diesel cleaner, Yes your truck will be running on slightly pure Diesel cleaner for Several minutes , Then go and immediately drive your truck for at least an hour, These injector cleaners work MUCH better with heat to break down the sticky waxy build up causing the injector issues ….

I’ve been doing this procedure for over 30 years, Including Common Rail diesels …

Are you slightly loosing Coolant? A slight head gasket / Cracked head leak will cause identical symptoms…
This, coolant loss?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
I think i know what you are getting at here. I forgot my dealer originally suspected that was a culprit too. I was slowly loosing coolant for a while and they informed me it was due to the notorious oil cooler failure. so they replaced that too in the spring when the truck was there. That is another reason why they had it so long. Apparently that was not the issue causing the shaking.

Thanks for the suggestion about the injector cleaner. I might give that a shot. Is that much cleaner at once gonna affect my emissions systems? I am NOT deleted.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts