RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck goes in Monday for the CEL. I haven't had to take a truck in for service for over 10 years. So my question is should I take in all the information I have found, i.e. STAR case number, and any other info know about everyone else's trucks or is that insulting to the service guys? I hate to have them spend a day on it and have them just shrug their shoulders but I don't want to offended them.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
It never hurts to have info on a new truck... but I wouldn't put someone else star number in front of them. BUT..I would tell them that the temp sender on the DPF has been an issue.

Do you know the code your truck has thrown?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
P0171 powertrain system too lean (bank 1)
P2459 Powertrain diesel particulate filter regeneration frequency
P0426 Powertrain catalyst temperature sensor range/ performance (bank 1)
The last 400 miles or so it comes on for About 150 miles then off for about 30 then back on.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
It never hurts to have info on a new truck... but I wouldn't put someone else star number in front of them. BUT..I would tell them that the temp sender on the DPF has been an issue.

Do you know the code your truck has thrown?
This.

Know your facts, offer info as they work through things. There is a good chance they'll find the codes and know what to do all on their own. As stated, don't bring someone else STAR number into things. If there is a broad fix as a result of that deeper investigation, it'll reach the dealer. Until then, your dealer may have no access to someone else issues.

I believe the sweet spot you're trying to hit is at the intersection of Helpful & Informed, several blocks away from Obnoxious Street. ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
P0426 sensor is on back order. Be prepared for a potentially long wait. There is a member that posted on another thread that has been waiting for three weeks. My appointment is Friday. I am showing the same codes. Keep us posted. Thanks.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As long as I can keep driving. I tow the boat to TN next week.

·
Registered
56 Posts
As long as I can keep driving. I tow the boat to TN next week.
I have been driving my truck for two weeks with the CEL light on. Runs great and fuel economy has remained constant. I have noticed frequent regens. As long as the truck continues to regen it should be fine. On our VM 4 engines they eventually go into a limp mode which is proceeded by a red CEL.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I dropped my truck off today. The dealer offered me a free rental car. Dodge is fully aware they have a problem and are trying to resolve it. Dodge does not want to release my truck until they resolve the issue. This does not appear to be a isolated issue.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I picked mine up today they were busy and I had to pick my kids up so they said they would mail me the records. They dis say that they did the recall on the key fob and also two other software updates. I asked if that was the problem with the CEL and they said yes. I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
177 Posts
mycel LIGHT CAME ON TODAY i JUST GOT MY TRUCK LAST NIGHT AND ONLY 59 MILES ON THE ODOMETER P245B THIS SUCKS MAYBE THEY CAN GIVE ME MY OLD CAR BACK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts