RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Truck is "Dead in the water", Codes are all fuel related, did my CP4 Pump just fail?

6K views 55 replies 19 participants last post by  biodiesel 
A fuel additive isn't going to help the lift pump. The purpose of a fuel additive is to add lubricity to the fuel, which would improve the life of your CP4 pump. The lift pump just needs to stay cool by keeping the fuel level above the 1/4 mark.

The lift pump, similar to the water pump, is a wear item. The idea behind preventative maintenance is to replace these parts before they are known to fail. This isn't easy to do without taking lots of data. I made my 150,000 - 175,000-mile preventive maintenance recommendation based off a reliability-shaped curve. At 150,000 miles, we begin to see lift pump failures on the EcoDiesel. This tells me that the lift pump has reached full-service life at 150,000 miles and the reliability will decrease as more miles are accrued.
The lift pump in my 2016 GC started whining about a week ago...it will be getting replaced this week, as I have no intention of running it until I need a tow truck.
The vehicle has 91000 miles on it so I am somewhat baffled by the early demise, but at the same time, not all that surprised .

Yup, that would be an early failure. Do you oftentimes run your fuel down below 1/4 tank?
I personally do not, but I bought it used about a year ago, and although I know the original owner, I don’t know his habits .

I also have a 2016 grand Cherokee with a 3.6 in it and oddly enough that pump went out at 60,000 miles.
I did not hear any pump noise with that one so it came as a surprise
I was lucky as it literally stalled as I was pulling into work so I did not need a tow .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.