RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just for a 2015 ED and yesterday it started making a weird noise when around 3000 rpm. Doesn’t do it every time just whenever I have to lay on the gas some. I have two videos below to try to help but it’s a little faint on video but louder in person. Any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just for a 2015 ED and yesterday it started making a weird noise when around 3000 rpm. Doesn’t do it every time just whenever I have to lay on the gas some. I have two videos below to try to help but it’s a little faint on video but louder in person. Any ideas what it could be?

I cant find a way to upload my videos on here other than the link. Anyone know an easier way? Thank you

·
Registered
493 Posts
don't know an easier way to upload videos, some use youtube. It was hard to tell from the videos, but if the noise is a high pitched whistle it is likely the flange between the DPF and SCR. This is a fairly common failure

The DPF and SCR, in the exhaust system, are joined together by a flange which is held by 3 studs with nuts (picture below). This is located under the truck right below the front passenger. The studs/nuts tend to rust and break allowing the flange to separate. the exhaust then escapes through the gap causing the whistle. there is also a metal gasket between the 2 halves of the flange. depending on which bolt breaks the exhaust may hit the DEF injector wiring and melt the wiring which will cause a check engine light.

Since your truck is a 2015 it is likely out of warranty, but you may have the AEM warranty or other possible warranties/coverages to get it fixed by the dealer. If you know you don't have any warranty left the easiest fix is to drill out the studs and replace them with stainless steel bolts and nuts. Typically only one fails, but the other 2 won't be far behind so you're best off replacing all 3 at once. and don't forget about the gasket.

Hand Arm Human body Automotive tire Water

Reactions: Ecosparky

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
don't know an easier way to upload videos, some use youtube. It was hard to tell from the videos, but if the noise is a high pitched whistle it is likely the flange between the DPF and SCR. This is a fairly common failure

The DPF and SCR, in the exhaust system, are joined together by a flange which is held by 3 studs with nuts (picture below). This is located under the truck right below the front passenger. The studs/nuts tend to rust and break allowing the flange to separate. the exhaust then escapes through the gap causing the whistle. there is also a metal gasket between the 2 halves of the flange. depending on which bolt breaks the exhaust may hit the DEF injector wiring and melt the wiring which will cause a check engine light.

Since your truck is a 2015 it is likely out of warranty, but you may have the AEM warranty or other possible warranties/coverages to get it fixed by the dealer. If you know you don't have any warranty left the easiest fix is to drill out the studs and replace them with stainless steel bolts and nuts. Typically only one fails, but the other 2 won't be far behind so you're best off replacing all 3 at once. and don't forget about the gasket.

View attachment 90460
Ok thank you I’ll look at that! The noise is coming from right in front of the driver side under the hood and sounds almost like an elk whistle…. Don’t know any better way to describe it

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,358 Posts
The noise is coming from right in front of the driver side under the hood and sounds almost like an elk whistle
Check the tubing coming from the turbo going to the intercooler for leaks. Also check the intercooler for cracks at the seems, if I remember correctly this has been reported once before.

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Limited 4WD
1 Posts
Ok thank you I’ll look at that! The noise is coming from right in front of the driver side under the hood and sounds almost like an elk whistle…. Don’t know any better way to describe it
I have the exact same issue, dealer said it was normal for a diesel……??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts