RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to take the truck to Buffalo today which is like a 20 minute drive... on the way home I noticed smoke in the headlights (steam) the engine temp was only 203 but the truck coolant tank is low and while trying to find the leak it just started spewing coolant onto the ground from some inaccessable place on the front of the engine.... any ideas? no hoses leaking that I could see. im guessing some sort of water pump failure? it looked like it was running down some plastic looking front engine cover and there was evidence it started spraying on the bottom of the hood.

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So the bulk of the coolant poured down over my power steering rack... does that mean it could simply be a hose under the intake? something tells me I wont be so lucky here. I bought this truck deleted and theres no egr system so I assume no egr cooler to fail?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah its definitely not the cap... some coolant is sprouting out from the front center area of the engine and its just raining down from the engine compartment once I filled the expansion tank.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the little bit of coolant in the tank looked dark in color as well... oil level looks good and oil looks clean/clear

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So to gain access to all this I more or less have to yank the intake correct? everything is so buried on this thing. I dont thing its the plastic thermostat housing because its really raining coolant below.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok did some reading and watched some videos, the issue is coming from the water pump area so now I just have to decide on whether I want to tackle myself or take it to a shop... Anyone here have thier water pump replaced yet? What was the ballpark cost? I found a video showing it can be done without intake removal. .. I really am scratching my head on what could be causing such a large leak in the system though.. seems like all hard piped with orings.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Ok did some reading and watched some videos, the issue is coming from the water pump area so now I just have to decide on whether I want to tackle myself or take it to a shop... Anyone here have thier water pump replaced yet? What was the ballpark cost? I found a video showing it can be done without intake removal. .. I really am scratching my head on what could be causing such a large leak in the system though.. seems like all hard piped with orings.
Hi: Augiedoggy... Don't ya just ha8 it when these jobs get brought up?
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
2014 Lonestar EcoDiesel 4X4
2,001 Posts
I had my leaking water pump replaced at 92k miles. Thermostat and housing were replaced as well. If I could do it over I’d do it myself.
I paid about $1,100. They didn’t replace the accessory drive belt and idler pulleys. What they did do was lose a few fasteners, re-use a clamp on the charge air cooler tube that failed, half ass reinstall the degas tank that led to leaking and a few other things I can’t recall right now.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Ok did some reading and watched some videos, the issue is coming from the water pump area so now I just have to decide on whether I want to tackle myself or take it to a shop... Anyone here have thier water pump replaced yet?
Just like @Top, mine also started leaking at 92,000 miles. To be honest, I think the pump was fine, but the o-ring(s) had deteriorated. It only leaked when the engine was cold and temps below 20*F. Once the engine warmed up, it didn't leak. Nonetheless, it was replaced under the 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

I have an excellent dealer with two fulltime EcoDiesel techs, so I would personally have them do the install. I simply don't have the confidence or the experience to tackle the job myself. I also like the idea that all parts and labor are covered for 2 years when the dealer does the work.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
@Augiedoggy, how many miles are on your truck? Also, make sure you replace the coolant by-pass tube. These are known to fail. I bought the part and had the dealer change it out when they did the water pump install.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Augiedoggy, how many miles are on your truck? Also, make sure you replace the coolant by-pass tube. These are known to fail. I bought the part and had the dealer change it out when they did the water pump install.

this may be what actually failed I dont know... Going to possibly tear into it when its not 92 degrees outside... right now im thankful for the good ole reliable company camry...

·
Registered
21 Posts
So I decided to take the truck to Buffalo today which is like a 20 minute drive... on the way home I noticed smoke in the headlights (steam) the engine temp was only 203 but the truck coolant tank is low and while trying to find the leak it just started spewing coolant onto the ground from some inaccessable place on the front of the engine.... any ideas? no hoses leaking that I could see. im guessing some sort of water pump failure? it looked like it was running down some plastic looking front engine cover and there was evidence it started spraying on the bottom of the hood.
If it’s coming from under the intake it is likely the turbo coolant line. Most of the line is metal, but there’s a small section that is rubber and it’s under the intake. I think they are fairly notorious for leaking.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so I found actual metal shavings laying under the water pump pulley... My guess is the water pump self destructed

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
so I found actual metal shavings laying under the water pump pulley... My guess is the water pump self destructed
How many miles on the truck?

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Reactions: MR. TED
1 - 20 of 72 Posts