RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, before you go off telling me this thing is a diesel and is going to shake let me explain. This is my first diesel vehicle and have only drivin the HD trucks. When my truck is in low idle it general seems to be running fine with that usual diesel vibration, but every once in a while while idling the whole truck shakes pretty hard for a second or two then goes away. It does it about every minute or so while idling. Is this normal??? Are you guys feeling this at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I get a bit of shake(clatter) when it's cold(start up) but on a hot engine nothing silky smooth....

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
On a cold start up... it's a little clattery. (diesel noise) BUT... it's still smooth. I have 2000 mi, and it's a VERY smooth Diesel.

If you have a real shake... then something may be wrong.

Generally, if a diesel engine has a shake, it's from a cyl not lighting. Since your shake is after it starts... it may be from a defective injector. Knowing that... I would start with verifying that the electrical connectors are all tight. Also... check the oil for fuel dilution.

If it doesn't smooth out when warm... have the dealer check it out.

Reactions: Sasquatchilly

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
No unusual vibration here, either. I would suspect that the air or fuel controls are causing it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
My now older V6 has idle vibration and it's worse with the AC on, try turning it off when you're warm and start the process of elimination.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Something is wrong. The engine is too little to really have much reciprocating mass and induce a good shake. Now I have some big-bore single cylinder motorcycles that will shake your guts out.

Man I love those old things.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies, it hasn't really done the shake thing I was talking about today but it only idled once. This only happens after you first idle silky smooth everywhere else. Only about 200 miles so far. It sorta builds up a little shake in the truck then suddenly stops. Rpm stays the same when it does it. Doesn't sound any different either. You can just feel the truck shake for a second or two then goes away.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think something is wrong, the shake thing happens less now but today i got a very different smell in the cab, kinda like burnt marshmallows. Happened right before i got home, had the A/c off. It also was making a strange noise at idle, seemed to be coming from the beginning of the exhaust system. Today i got the weird vibration while driving in first gear. Just shook for about half a second. No warning lights on, no regen notification, Only about 300 miles so far. Am i being over paranoid? I will probably be bringing it into the dealer to have it checked out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, it hasn't really done the shake thing I was talking about today but it only idled once. This only happens after you first idle silky smooth everywhere else. Only about 200 miles so far. It sorta builds up a little shake in the truck then suddenly stops. Rpm stays the same when it does it. Doesn't sound any different either. You can just feel the truck shake for a second or two then goes away.

Here is a shot in the dark. Its been my experience that the smell and vibration on a diesel can change with a timing advance. This almost sounds like its adjusting its advance depending on its idle or warm up. Also, its my understanding that this engine has multiple injections on a given stroke at different times, not just a single.

I would think that you would surely have a code if anything was really wrong with the injection or timing.

I am still waiting for mine (in paint now), but I took a dealer truck home over night, and it was smooth as glass at all times. Never a shake.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Have you been driving the truck hard? If not maybe it needs some roughing up! Also try switching your diesel fuel or maybe add a cetane additive and see if the problem clears. I wouldn't jump to any mechanical faults yet. It would have thrown an engine code right away. I noticed that if I use just the generic diesel fuel in my area the truck doesn't run good. If you spend a bit more and buy the better diesel you may see a difference. I am using she'll v power performance diesel. Plus I add a cetane additive.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have you been driving the truck hard? If not maybe it needs some roughing up! Also try switching your diesel fuel or maybe add a cetane additive and see if the problem clears. I wouldn't jump to any mechanical faults yet. It would have thrown an engine code right away. I noticed that if I use just the generic diesel fuel in my area the truck doesn't run good. If you spend a bit more and buy the better diesel you may see a difference. I am using she'll v power performance diesel. Plus I add a cetane additive.
Thanks, maybe I'll take it out for a rip today and see if I can break it in a bit more. Could be the poor quality fuel as well. Any suggestions on fuel?

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I was test driving one a few weeks ago I noticed all the issues you are describing, I test drove a few more after that and none of the others did it! Hope you get it all worked out!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's going to the dealer tomorrow morning to get checked out, just to be safe. I'm guessing it's just poor fuel quality but better safe than sorry. I've been researching all afternoon to find the best diesel station in my area!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks, maybe I'll take it out for a rip today and see if I can break it in a bit more. Could be the poor quality fuel as well. Any suggestions on fuel?

Go somewhere that has numerous diesel customers buying fuel. It is fresh. Shell, Exxon, Mobil and BP have high quality diesel fuels. My Brother works for Chrysler in the HR areas supporting mfg. engineering. He asked them and that is what they told him are the best fuels.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok to give you guys an update on this. Brought it into the shop last week. Diesel tech said he's never seen this problem before, and wanted to do research on the issue. The truck never shuddered like it was for me while the d tech was in there. So they sent me on my way without doing a thing. Fuel Tank was 1/2 full so I went to a truck stop and filled up on diesel some fresh diesel. First time I went to a popular gas station that probably doesn't sell much diesel. So I've been running 1/2 and 1/2 now for a week and still did that shaking thing. Dealership called back and said the diesel tech wanted me to bring the truck back in because he wanted to see it again. So I drop it off and they ran a few tests, looked in the DPF for some clues and they are saying they can't find anything wrong. The truck ED never shuttered while idling for them. Anyways truck truck is getting good mpg, seems to be running smooth 99.9% of the time and is not throwing any codes. At this point I am just going to have to believe it was some bad fuel I filled up on. I'm going to burn this tank down below 1/4 before I fill it again at a busy diesel station. See if that takes care if it. Service guy said they are keeping this case open on their service network and if this issue comes up elsewhere in Chrysler it will get flagged and they will see what service was done. So far I am still very happy with this truck. Can't believe how efficient it is while still pulling 420 lbs/ft of torque. It scares me how computerized this engine is tho.
Anyone have a good link to info about diesel fuel additives? I want to avoid this problem in the future. I've seen the word cetane thrown around here but I am new to diesel so I don't know much about it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts