RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time posting but thought maybe I could get some thoughts/opinions/input from others as the ED isn’t overly popular in my area and there’s not many people for me to talk to here.

First a little background. When we bought my 2015 ED we didn’t intend on much towing but wanted the capability if needed but were mostly looking for more cab space than my 2012 wrangler 4 door since we have 2 kids. Fast forward a few years as I am now on my second year of running a mowing business and taking kids to school, including waiting in car line. Lots more idle time than I had planned on. I’m towing fairly light weight still and definitely well within limits of the truck. I would estimate trailer and mowers combined is maybe 2500 lbs. and it’s even less when we are lugging around four wheelers and dirt bikes.

That being said about a month ago, at 68k miles and some change, my truck went down. Started smoking and then was a crank no start. Had it towed to the dealership since it’s under the extended warranty now thanks to the recall, which I had done in June. Dealer found the turbo was leaking oil. Replaced the turbo and then it failed the smoke test. Traced the leak to the intake where they discovered it was horribly filled with soot. The butterfly flaps won’t even open and close when pried on with a screwdriver. The service manager showed me. It’s unbelievable how dirty it was. I’ll attach pics I took of the intake. Now, my husband and I feel the only way to keep this truck is if we do a total delete. Clearly the recirculating of exhaust is going to kill this engine.

So my questions:

Anyone who has done a total delete with GDE, how many miles are on your truck now? Looking to see if it helps the longevity of the engine to reach 200-300k miles like a diesel engine should.

I’m seeing some people saying they have had problems getting aftermarket tunes just right, is GDE included in that or are these people maybe trying cheaper options and getting what they pay for? They don’t state what tuning they are using so I’m not sure.

To completely remove all the emissions junk, which tune do I need? As of now I’m thinking the off road but just wanting to make sure I’m on the right path. I really want to remove it entirely instead of letting it sit and risking it failing and causing damage still.

Have you done the cam and oil cooler fixed? Thoughts on the necessity of those?

All in all I have figured it’s going to be $5000-6000 to make this truck reliable. I was lucky that with the warranty the dealership had to supply me with a rental and that the service manager knows me and pushed to get me a truck because of my business, but with the truck being so vital to my business I can’t afford a month of down time in the future after warranty. I barely survived driving the pathetic v6 rebel they gave me. I’m in southeastern Ohio and going up a modest hill for our area I was screaming at 4500 rpm and barely able to pull 40 mph with the trailer on. I’m really considering selling off the truck and going to an old school Cummins. Thinking an old 24 valve will be much more reliable and easier and cheaper for us to fix on our own when there is an issue. I just know I’m going to miss the creature comforts of the newer truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
*sigh* I don't usually have this much patience with a newb who can't be bothered to use the search function before asking the same stuff that's been asked dozens of times and answered thoroughly. However, since the search function really sucks on this forum I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and I'll be gentle since you're a lady.
Anyone who has done a total delete with GDE, how many miles are on your truck now? Looking to see if it helps the longevity of the engine to reach 200-300k miles like a diesel engine should.
Although I have a mere 130,000 on my truck now--100,000 of those with the GDE off road tune--we do have one member who uses his truck for work and he went 371,000 miles before he replaced his engine. By his own admission he may have been able to go further had he known the consequences of one small maintenance task which is to make sure that the coolant level in the degas bottle remains at the proper level. He is now on the home stretch of making that million mile mark.
I’m seeing some people saying they have had problems getting aftermarket tunes just right, is GDE included in that or are these people maybe trying cheaper options and getting what they pay for? They don’t state what tuning they are using so I’m not sure.
There are very few players in the game that our trucks play. Most of what applies to the heavy duty trucks doesn't apply to our trucks since our engine was developed for use in the European version of the Cadillac CTS and is presently used in vehicles such as Alfa Romeo and Maserati. That being said, the guys at GDE are the best. My opinion? Perhaps. But it's also a fact that they have the background necessary to do what's best for this particular engine. As far as I know, GDE is the only player who tunes for maximum longevity while the others are more aligned with the search for horsepower. GDE does boost the horsepower/torque a bit, but not to the point of damaging your engine like some of the other players. They also seriously know what they're doing unlike some of the other players.

To completely remove all the emissions junk, which tune do I need? As of now I’m thinking the off road but just wanting to make sure I’m on the right path. I really want to remove it entirely instead of letting it sit and risking it failing and causing damage still.
Yes, the off road tune is the one you need to remove the exhaust components. However, you wouldn't really need to remove them. I haven't. All I've done is knocked the stuffing out of the DPF then put it back in. Everything looks like it hasn't been touched, and that's what I wanted since I was going to Kalifornia a lot at the time and I didn't want them to know that I had done anything. So if you want to save a few $, it just takes some patience to reach one of the bolts then you can stick a rod of some sort into the end and commence to beating the stuffing out. But don't just throw it away! The stuffing is worth quite a bit over at the salvage yard.

Also, there is no real advantage to deleting the exhaust. My reasoning was that I wanted to be even cheaper than necessary and quit buying DEF. Since that time GDE has learned to turn off the DEF function(s) and will do that for you. And my decision has just cost me $3075 because of the AEM which I can't qualify for. Anyhow, GDE has found that there is no real fuel savings by going full delete nor is there any other performance gain. But if you've already decided, then go for it. I know that for me, I had just convinced myself that I needed to "go all the way" even though I didn't.

Also, GDE turns off the EGR so you really don't have to delete that unless you want to. Mine is still intact as is the EGR cooler. If you want to delete it, there are a couple of block off plate kits that are available. This is the kit developed by a friend of one of our forum members. I like it and it will be the one I use if I decide to delete the EGR.

So, as you can see there are actually two areas of delete. I hope that my description helps to dispel the plethora of misinformation that's out there about how you have to delete everything.

Have you done the cam and oil cooler fixed? Thoughts on the necessity of those?
Although some of our members have upgraded their oil cooling, it's really not necessary in most applications. It's certainly nothing to lose sleep over if you can't do it right away. Now, as far as the cam: This problem is so incredibly rare that you should just put it out of your mind unless it actually breaks. It's in a position that it would cost a small fortune to "repair" when a repair so incredibly likely to be unnecessary.

All in all I have figured it’s going to be $5000-6000 to make this truck reliable
That is incredibly wrong. All you really need is the tune which is well under $1000. If you wanted to physically delete the exhaust, then it's probably an additional $400 but unnecessary. If you want to physically delete the EGR it's under $200. I haven't priced an oil cooler, so I really don't know what that would run. On the other hand the cam "fix" would run at least $a couple of thousand, so you should just put that out of your mind unless your truck is the unicorn to which that happens.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
If you go GDE probably should keep the AEM - ECM and swap out if warranty work needed. The basic GDE 'hot tune' is what I added at 50k and now close to 196k. 100% mechanically intact and DEF system remains active...EGR electronically turned off.

Have read on here idling w/ a stock tune not the best given the FI cycles that add soot. Understand the concept however others more knowledgeable should explain the diff. Your best advice is to call GE directly and discuss your specific use and have them explain options and recommendations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you go GDE probably should keep the AEM - ECM and swap out if warranty work needed. The basic GDE 'hot tune' is what I added at 50k and now close to 196k. 100% mechanically intact and DEF system remains active...EGR electronically turned off.

Have read on here idling w/ a stock tune not the best given the FI cycles that add soot. Understand the concept however others more knowledgeable should explain the diff. Your best advice is to call GE directly and discuss your specific use and have them explain options and recommendations.
My fear with leaving it in tact is that it still has the potential to create problems down the road. And just trying to clean things up so you can actually see what is in there instead of the crammed mess it is now. I do think I will call GDE and chat with them as well. That’s one thing I have not yet done as I was still trying to gather personal experiences from individuals first.

·
Registered
446 Posts
personally, I think it's easier just to let the top end of the motor junk up and every 100,000 miles replace the intake manifold and such or just sell the truck after 100k. The tune is like what 25% of the cost of the intake and it's still no guarantee. the old boat anchor 305's and 350's from the 80's looked just as bad all caked up with oil on the intake, the pistons with scum on them, the valves, only difference here is it's powder instead of burnt slimed up oil.

I'm an outlier, probably one of the very few all stock on the forum but have decided to just let her eat and sell it. 5-6k goes a long ways towards a new truck and the trade in is hard to beat plus by then a bunch of other stuff is junked on the truck as well. it's not the 1940's, stuff isn't built to last forever.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
No need to delete, the GDE hot tune runs plenty clean to keep your motor from gunking up again. I tuned when new and currently at 85k my intake is as clean as new.

A delete tune is a guarantee warranty denial once they see the DPF and rest of the emissions are missing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts