RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As the title mentions I stripped the fuel filter housing drain plug threads reinstalling the brass plug last night. Last time I changed it I did notice that there's not much thread engagement but of course forgot that and over tightened. So obviously the truck won't start now, I'm guessing because it can't build pressure inside that housing. I didn't think the plastic housing was thick enough to tap and securely hold a larger drain plug so I opted to drill it out with a 5/8" bit and put a nut and bolt through it with a rubber washer metal washer on both sides. After cleaning things up this seems to fit very well and I can't imagine it's the source of any leaks and after priming I don't see any fuel anywhere. Well, sure enough, my truck still won't start. I have been following the 3-4x priming recommendations too.

Any thoughts on what could be going on here? I did change the oil/filter, air filter and rotated the tires at the same time. Can't imagine any of those items could have cause this issue.

It's difficult to hear with the pump running/priming but it's almost like I hear an air leak somewhere while it is priming. Unfortunately it's only me so by the time I hit the start button to prime and crawl under the truck it doesn't leave much time for checking anything.

Oh, 99600 miles and of course I'm doing this early for a several hour trip into Maine tomorrow towing a pontoon boat. If only I didn't touch anything...

I look forward to any input on what the issue could be here. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I was able to have someone prime it for me while I was looking at the filter housing. I checked as much of the housing as possible and the 2 fuel lines with soapy water and didn't see any air bubbles. I then moved to the tank while the pump was running and it sounds like there's an air leak. I obviously can't see it though as it seems the fuel pump is inside the tank. I just filled the tank yesterday too so it's full.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
The fuel filter is pressurized on both sides it cant cause a suction leak. Start looking at other stuff you touched like the air filter did you disconnect the maf sensor? Did you pop a z case fuse while changing the oil filter?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Brokedownbutgood. Any specific fuse I should be looking at? I mean it's cranking so if anything I would think fuel or air. I didn't disconnect the MAF but will check it.

Also to note, no codes are being thrown on the dash. I figured after cranking but not starting it would throw something...

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,583 Posts
That air leak you hear is just that, the fuel system bleeds itself of air(closer to the HPFP). Usually after 4-5 key cycles you'll hear the air bleed sound change to the typical fuel pump sounds.
Is there a flash red LED on the speedo? The anti-theft alarm may have kicked in.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Any chance the HPFP took some air and it's done? It seems a little too coincidental that the truck wont start now after replacing the fuel filter. I think you can check for metal chunks easy enough if you are extremely careful..

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just a tip from an old Diesel Mechanic I never drained the filter with one of those chicken shit plastic drain valves after I had one break off and another leak ect. , put a bread bag over the filter to catch diesel spill, spin the filter off and pour out the contents into an ice cream pail, look for water balls in the bottom of the ice cream pail. If you see water which is fairly obvious as balls or a layer in the bottom of your ice cream pail, find another gas station.

·
Registered
421 Posts
What kind of filter? OEM? On my 3500 you have to ensure the front filter is 100% seated for it to trip the fuel check valve and apparently only OEM filters do that. Otherwise you get a crank no start scenario. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Did your ratchet with extension make contact with the + battery terminal when removing the oil filter housing?
I lay an old yoga mat over the fender and cover the battery as well.
Could have taken out a main bus fuse.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all,

As the title mentions I stripped the fuel filter housing drain plug threads reinstalling the brass plug last night. Last time I changed it I did notice that there's not much thread engagement but of course forgot that and over tightened. So obviously the truck won't start now, I'm guessing because it can't build pressure inside that housing. I didn't think the plastic housing was thick enough to tap and securely hold a larger drain plug so I opted to drill it out with a 5/8" bit and put a nut and bolt through it with a rubber washer metal washer on both sides. After cleaning things up this seems to fit very well and I can't imagine it's the source of any leaks and after priming I don't see any fuel anywhere. Well, sure enough, my truck still won't start. I have been following the 3-4x priming recommendations too.

Any thoughts on what could be going on here? I did change the oil/filter, air filter and rotated the tires at the same time. Can't imagine any of those items could have cause this issue.

It's difficult to hear with the pump running/priming but it's almost like I hear an air leak somewhere while it is priming. Unfortunately it's only me so by the time I hit the start button to prime and crawl under the truck it doesn't leave much time for checking anything.

Oh, 99600 miles and of course I'm doing this early for a several hour trip into Maine tomorrow towing a pontoon boat. If only I didn't touch anything...

I look forward to any input on what the issue could be here. Thanks in advance!
I did the same thing. After looking at the threads, it looks like there were only about 3 threads in that plastic container. I guess that’s why they use that little yellow screw for the drain. I never thought about putting a bolt and nut with o rings for seals. Good job. I bought the aluminum tool for taking off the filter can and use plastic bags to catch the fuel to not take a bath.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
I havent changed a fuel filter in a while.... but isnt there a water in fuel sensor or a float of some sort in the filter housing at the bottom? (this may be a memory from a different vehicle) Any chance that nut on the inside is interfering with something?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts