RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story, ordered an Outdoorsman, crew cab, 4X4, 5'7"box, 20" black rims, told the dealer wanted the 3.92's (pull a 29' camper). They said no problem, low and behold 2 weeks after ordered they say they can't get the 3.92's in the 5'7" box but the 6'4" box shows it as an option. Told them I wanted the 3.92's so order me a 6'4" truck with the 3.92's not a big deal. Called them today for an update, they have the purchase order for the outdoorsman with the 6'4" box with 3.92's, but when it went to D1 status the option for the 3.92's is gone. So now I have two trucks coming to the dealer and both might not have the 3.92's. Trailer is probably close to 8000lbs fully loaded, I am I to worried about the gears or will the 3.55's do? I have 2 trucks to choose from if I what them.. Anybody else have this much trouble ordering 3.92's?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Long story, ordered an Outdoorsman, crew cab, 4X4, 5'7"box, 20" black rims, told the dealer wanted the 3.92's (pull a 29' camper). They said no problem, low and behold 2 weeks after ordered they say they can't get the 3.92's in the 5'7" box but the 6'4" box shows it as an option. Told them I wanted the 3.92's so order me a 6'4" truck with the 3.92's not a big deal. Called them today for an update, they have the purchase order for the outdoorsman with the 6'4" box with 3.92's, but when it went to D1 status the option for the 3.92's is gone. So now I have two trucks coming to the dealer and both might not have the 3.92's. Trailer is probably close to 8000lbs fully loaded, I am I to worried about the gears or will the 3.55's do? I have 2 trucks to choose from if I what them.. Anybody else have this much trouble ordering 3.92's?
During the first allotment of the ED Outdoorsman in Feb a 3.92 was not available for USA consumers. During last couple of days of Feb it became a option.

I ordered my truck on 3/26 with a 3.92. At that time I was forced to get 20" wheels and bucket seats. I could work around the 20" wheels, but I really wanted the bench seat. Maybe in a couple of years I will replace with a bench seat version. The bench is just better for the way I use the truck.

8000 lbs should be in the tow specs for the Outdoorsman with a 3.92. Not saying it can't be done in a 3.55. 3% of my total towing time per year will be over 8,000 lbs. The most I have towed to date is about 5300 lbs which included a short 1.6 mile 15% grade climb up a twisty narrow road with a posted speed limit of 30 mph. I had plenty of throttle left and felt I could have been towing 10k up that section with something to spare.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ordered the first truck May 15th (5'7" box) then the second truck with 6'4" box first week of june. I will only be towing the trailer about 800km a year. Ill have to wait and see if either truck has the 3.92's. First time trying to buy a Dodge has not been good. Would really like the ED, currently have a Tundra with the 5.7, and 35's. The Outdoorsmans have 20" black wheels, monotone cherry red, buckets, 8.4 uconnect, dealer installed rear air bags, spray in liner, back-up camera, tow package, and hoping 3.92's.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had all the same issues, I could not order with a bench seat. I had to order with 20" tires. (Outdoorsman package) I could not order with 3.92's.

I wanted 3.92's mainly because I drive a lot in traffic, not for towing. Reading on the forum the 3.55's, would do fine in traffic I was ok with them.

However, my tow rating with 3.55's is 7,750lbs. If you are towing the kind of weight you are talking about, I would stick it out for 3.92's.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Yes I've been trying to configure on ramtrucks.com and I am running into the same issue. And if u want the bench u can't get the comfort group (heated wheel and seats). Major pi$$off

Don't tread on me!
MOLON LABE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts