RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to be a first time travel nurse, and contemplating making the plunge on a a travel trailer right off the bat.

I have No money reserves, but hate the idea of giving away half my stipend and having very little In return. Looking at an assignment with variable hours, so it would be difficult to have roommates.

Looking for a 20-27’ TT. 5K# or less dry. Pulling with my EcoDiesel. Traveling solo.

Already looking at adding airbags, buying a WDH, and making sure brakes and shocks/struts are in good working order. Anything else?

Suggestions? Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
If I was in your shoes id buy used and personally for just 1 person I would stick way to the bottom end of that size range.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Agree buy used , much cheaper and usually barely used / new conditions...
Craig’s List
RV Trader online is a really good source...
Personally I’d try to get it with a slide and try to get one with access to restroom with slide closed , Incase someone needs it quickly while towing ...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two things:

Forest River for a brand of reasonable quality.

Craigslist for a used one.
I’ve looked at some of the Forest River stuff for a bit. I would tend to agree!

If I was in your shoes id buy used and personally for just 1 person I would stick way to the bottom end of that size range.
I’m looking at a couple different ones. Most on the smaller end. Ive got one that I’m looking at from another nurse, but I’m in no hurry.

Agree buy used , much cheaper and usually barely used / new conditions...
Craig’s List
RV Trader online is a really good source...
Personally I’d try to get it with a slide and try to get one with access to restroom with slide closed , Incase someone needs it quickly while towing ...
Haven’t thought about the Bathroom accessible with slide. Good note!!

Found this one of these today for a STEAL: Full Specs for 2020 Gulf Stream Conquest 275FBG RVs | RVUSA.com

10,500. Dealership is closing, and they are liquidating. Thoughts?

·
Registered
701 Posts
If I was in the market for a new TT again I would stay away from the power awnings. The arms just don't seem to be built as strong as the manual. I would take reliability over convenience. I had the rear one break.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
For one person I agree smaller is better...even 20 is plenty if you're planning on using it for family trips (depending on the floor plan).

The only thing that depreciates worse than a new vehicle being driven off the lot is a new RV. And the salesmen don't care if they say "of course it's half ton towable" and you're back in a month after your first trip because it's way too heavy. It's still got a huge loss in value.
Used craigslist/Facebook marketplace and don't be in a hurry. I'm a cheapskate and regularly browse listings for dirt cheap, but even in the 5-10k range are some dang good trailers.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Forest River gets pretty bad reviews in a lot of online forums, seems the quality isn't there. It's manufactured at a plant that makes many different makes of RV's. Seems quantity over quality from what I've seen.

I love my K-Z and would go that route again.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forest River gets pretty bad reviews in a lot of online forums, seems the quality isn't there. It's manufactured at a plant that makes many different makes of RV's. Seems quantity over quality from what I've seen.

I love my K-Z and would go that route again.
Thanks for the input. Will def check them out!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
My recommendation seems to be different from others I would recommend staying away from buying used. Instead shop around and find a dealer with a clearance deal that works for you. Also smaller is not better when living in it full time you well hate a tiny trailer. Find a nice clearance 23-27ft trailer that you like and enjoy it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My recommendation seems to be different from others I would recommend staying away from buying used. Instead shop around and find a dealer with a clearance deal that works for you. Also smaller is not better when living in it full time you well hate a tiny trailer. Find a nice clearance 23-27ft trailer that you like and enjoy it.
Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success. Proverbs 15:22

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
You're on the right track with air bags, a good WDH that provides sway control (not all do), and knowledge on how to set up the load for proper tongue weight and WDH settings.

I saved about 30% off my camper when I bought it new. I spent a lot of time online on RV websites looking at floorplans until I found exactly what I wanted. I then went to rvtrader.com as you can search by make, model, and distance. I found my model 3 hours away at a huge savings. Dealer was fantastic.

RV dealers aren't quite like car dealers when it comes to warranty repair. They won't necessarily work on your RV unless you purchased it from them, so keep that in mind if traveling some distance to make your purchase.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're on the right track with air bags, a good WDH that provides sway control (not all do), and knowledge on how to set up the load for proper tongue weight and WDH settings.

I saved about 30% off my camper when I bought it new. I spent a lot of time online on RV websites looking at floorplans until I found exactly what I wanted. I then went to rvtrader.com as you can search by make, model, and distance. I found my model 3 hours away at a huge savings. Dealer was fantastic.

RV dealers aren't quite like car dealers when it comes to warranty repair. They won't necessarily work on your RV unless you purchased it from them, so keep that in mind if traveling some distance to make your purchase.
Good to know. I’ve seen a couple floor plans that I really like. I’m just glad I decided not to rush and buy one.

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
23 Posts
About to be a first time travel nurse, and contemplating making the plunge on a a travel trailer right off the bat.

I have No money reserves, but hate the idea of giving away half my stipend and having very little In return. Looking at an assignment with variable hours, so it would be difficult to have roommates.

Looking for a 20-27’ TT. 5K# or less dry. Pulling with my EcoDiesel. Traveling solo.

Already looking at adding airbags, buying a WDH, and making sure brakes and shocks/struts are in good working order. Anything else?

Suggestions? Thoughts?
Regarding the used vs new question: On an RV forum, most of the recommendations were to buy something a few years old. They said that many RVs have problems early that are then fixed after a year or two. That said, that Gulfstream looks like a hell of a deal.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Didn't realize that a month had pased since the OP started. I was going to ask where they lived and suggest they look around Goshen, IN as most of the travel trailers are made there. You can find some really good deals on last years models at lots in that area. We saw one a few years back that we really liked for low teens. Too big for the 1500, but it was what finally pushed us to get a new truck.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Didn't realize that a month had pased since the OP started. I was going to ask where they lived and suggest they look around Goshen, IN as most of the travel trailers are made there. You can find some really good deals on last years models at lots in that area. We saw one a few years back that we really liked for low teens. Too big for the 1500, but it was what finally pushed us to get a new truck.
Understand.

That town is "town central" for making RV's in this country. I have a friend that sells them for General RV in Tampa. Gonna have to call him and see how their business is doing.

The trailer the OP was considering at the start was nice but rather large for an Ecodiesel. I know it was pithing specs but still a bog box of air to deal with sidewinds and overall control with any 1500. Many, many do it and are proud of their success. Been there and done that with a heavy half ton GMC I had in the 1990's . It was even a 6.5 diesel. No way did it work well, overheating and having clutch trouble dealing with the weights I was towing. Had to go 2500 Duramax to solve the problem. Did that and it sure did solve it. Of curse, that Duramax was the first year model with all the injector issues and Allison failures along with bad programming.

The lesson I learned was...thank god for Cummins.

Hope the OP catches my quote from him and returns for a conclusion.

·
Registered
367 Posts
My experience is totally inline with Captanimal’s comments. In perfect conditions a 1500 will tow that TT you are looking at. Add hills, wind, full time living stuff (gear, clothes, food, work gear, etc) and you could be setting the stage for trouble.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well after a month you did something by now. What?
It’s still in the works... I tabled it for this first excursion to pay off some bills/stash some cash, and make some decisions.

I’m in Milwaukee WI for the next 13 weeks, working 3 days a week. I could always make some time to go that way and look around.

Understand.

That town is "town central" for making RV's in this country. I have a friend that sells them for General RV in Tampa. Gonna have to call him and see how their business is doing.

The trailer the OP was considering at the start was nice but rather large for an Ecodiesel. I know it was pithing specs but still a bog box of air to deal with sidewinds and overall control with any 1500. Many, many do it and are proud of their success. Been there and done that with a heavy half ton GMC I had in the 1990's . It was even a 6.5 diesel. No way did it work well, overheating and having clutch trouble dealing with the weights I was towing. Had to go 2500 Duramax to solve the problem. Did that and it sure did solve it. Of curse, that Duramax was the first year model with all the injector issues and Allison failures along with bad programming.

The lesson I learned was...thank god for Cummins.

Hope the OP catches my quote from him and returns for a conclusion.
I am still considering it, Cap. I’ve rethought quite a bit, and decided a few things, mainly NO BUNKS! Wasted space for a single fella, who would rather have a bigger bath or kitchen.

My experience is totally inline with Captanimal’s comments. In perfect conditions a 1500 will tow that TT you are looking at. Add hills, wind, full time living stuff (gear, clothes, food, work gear, etc) and you could be setting the stage for trouble.
Yeah, I stepped back, and doing some other considerations. Look for some more posts from me regarding it.

HAPPY EASTER everyone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
511 Posts
My advice will respectfully disagree with most of the posters ahead of me. All RV's will eventually need repairs. If you are mechanically inclined and have decent wood working skills then buy used from any of the sources mentioned. However, if you'll need dealer assistance for repairs then here's what I'd do. Shop for a well established dealer with a good reputation for service after the sale. Then buy what ever brand they have that will meet your needs. It will take a lot longer to find the good dealer than to decide on a trailer.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts