RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I’ve never had a diesel before and I’m noticing that there are no posts about the exhaust note produced by the 3D. Maserati goes to great lengths in their video about the sound from the car AND it is nice. Anyone giving the 3D a little growl? :D

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Youu can't hear it anyways! Lol no seriously you can barley hear it on the hwy, when accelerating around town you just hear the motor a bit

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So even if you change out the muffler for say a Cherry Bomb/MagnaFlow/Flowmaster you don't hear anything? I thought someone said it had a girly sound? Was hoping to give it a little more ballsy sound.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Stock is not only quiet but if you can hear it, a bit "girly" in sound.

Surely you can tear off the muffler and that resonator. Then play around with home-made things or in aftermarket to get the sound you want. I use Reinhart for the sound I like with Harley Davidson.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Unfortunately turbo's tend to kill any fun noises coming out of the tail pipe, so a performance muffler isn't going to make much difference. Maybe an amplified speaker in the back with a recorded exhaust note would be the way to go. :rolleyes:

Tom

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked both Flowmaster and Magnaflow. Neither have anything for the 3D. Yet.

Reinhart make a sweet sound with the V Twin. On the Wing I have Cobra gives it a nice purrrr.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I like the exhaust note that is there! I don't find it "girly" at all, nice droney diesel sound (when u can hear it)

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe just have to kick it up a notch? NOT LOUD! Just a nice tone so you know there is 420 ft lbs of tq there...somewhere...when they deliver the darn thing to me...but that's another thread.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Nevermind...this is the one you're looking for. Gotta be. I think it comes with a 50hp resistor chip and one of them things to run your truck on water or hydrogen as a free gift.

VroomBox.com

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's so cool. Know a guy with a Smart 24 that will want this.

·
Registered
61 Posts
good luck making these louder. pull the muffler off or do whatever. you won't hear any change. The Dpf kills any exhaust noise for the most part. its either quiet or slightly less quiet. the mufflers on newer diesels do virtually nothing. In fact I'm not sure why they are there. You won't hear a change in noise until a full exhaust and dpf/doc delete kit is available on the market. then you'll know what it really sounds like lol

·
Registered
701 Posts
I would have a hard time believing a HP analysis for small changes like air filter. A manufacturer could runs enough runs until they show a small gain, ignoring those that show no gain. I'm sure that successive runs would show a normal amount of of variation, and I'm sure many are selective on the reports they show. Plus, I recommend staying away from any oil based filter that will let more dirt into the engine.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I was driving today and I thought the truck sounded like I was driving a box fan, but hey at my age I've had enough loud. I can't even hear the blinker lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts