RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if there is a tune available for the 2020 EcoDiesel Ram. Also if so what is the advantage or disadvantage to this? What tuners are people buying in regards to installing these on the vehicles and does this void your warranty at all? Is there a way to put it back to factory so that the dealer does not know that you have a tune into it also?

·
Registered
2020 Limited ED 3.92 33gal
126 Posts
No tunes available, probably until next summer!

Reactions: Matt7417

·
Registered
366 Posts
Contact GDE (Green Diesel Engineering) for the most recent update on their schedule. When it's available it will likely include the transmission tune AND the ability to reprogram back to stock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much people. Just picked the truck up 3 days ago and loving it so far. Glad to find this site. Really enjoying reading all the time.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Side note: My father has a 2017 or 2018 Duramax. He asked a local diesel shop about tuning and they told him not to do it unless he had deep pockets. They claim that GM is watching vehicle modification through the "GPS system" which I assume means OnStar system. As soon as modifications are made, they know it remotely. The tuner said they don't even fool with them anymore unless the owner gets the onboard system disabled first.

I doubt Ram does that, but you never know! They have more reason than anybody to do so, seeing as how the EPA has been all over them like bees on a honey-covered dog for a few years now.

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Side note: My father has a 2017 or 2018 Duramax. He asked a local diesel shop about tuning and they told him not to do it unless he had deep pockets. They claim that GM is watching vehicle modification through the "GPS system" which I assume means OnStar system. As soon as modifications are made, they know it remotely. The tuner said they don't even fool with them anymore unless the owner gets the onboard system disabled first.

I doubt Ram does that, but you never know! They have more reason than anybody to do so, seeing as how the EPA has been all over them like bees on a honey-covered dog for a few years now.
OnStar sure does some nasty things to monitor your verbal communication and maybe operation in the truck. That was the reason I refused to get another Duramax and got my first Cummins back in 2004.

Never heard of anything like that even proposed as possible with the Ecodiesel or Cummins.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Don’t waste your time with a Tune unless you think you need it. Enjoy the truck first, tuning shouldn’t even be on your mind.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I only bought my '17 ecodiesel because tunes were available for it..
Well I guess you guys thought you needed a tune. But this discussion is about a 2020. Which currently shows no need for a tune for any reason.

tuning a brand new Truck or only buying one so you can tune it seems to be ridiculous and a complete waste of money if the truck doesn’t need it.

my 16 ED had 140k bone stock, zeros issues, and probably performed just as good as a tuned truck.

In the end if a person feels he/she needs more or just wants more and a tune helps fix that, then so be it that makes complete sense.

for my 2020 I have no plans to tune, mostly due to the lifetime power train warranty, unless a warranty compliant Tune or delete is developed and actually makes an improvement. Then I’d think about it.

sorry for the long winded post

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well I guess you guys thought you needed a tune. But this discussion is about a 2020. Which currently shows no need for a tune for any reason.

tuning a brand new Truck or only buying one so you can tune it seems to be ridiculous and a complete waste of money if the truck doesn’t need it.

my 16 ED had 140k bone stock, zeros issues, and probably performed just as good as a tuned truck.

In the end if a person feels he/she needs more or just wants more and a tune helps fix that, then so be it that makes complete sense.

for my 2020 I have no plans to tune, mostly due to the lifetime power train warranty, unless a warranty compliant Tune or delete is developed and actually makes an improvement. Then I’d think about it.

sorry for the long winded post
Well I beg to differ on that.

We first read about the horrible throttle response and engine calibration on the 2020 when Diesel Power magazine wrote about it in the fall of 2019. They asked the engineers why the truck fell on its face and the engineers said, "That's just because of how we're dealing with emissions."

Since then, numerous owners of 2020s have found soot-coked EGR tubes just like on the 2nd Gen engines. They've also had EGR issues, CAC hose issues, oil leaks, and blown engines.

My own 2020 has the worst throttle response and driveability of any diesel engine I've ever driven. The software is so bad that it totally kills the ownership experience with this powertrain. A driver who thinks the 2020 EcoDiesel is "good" is a driver who's never driven the competition. This thing is terrible.

With a quality engine tune (and better yet an emissions delete when it becomes available) this engine could be a superstar. But in its current form it's terrible.

Reactions: Eugene

·
Registered
738 Posts
Well I beg to differ on that.

We first read about the horrible throttle response and engine calibration on the 2020 when Diesel Power magazine wrote about it in the fall of 2019. They asked the engineers why the truck fell on its face and the engineers said, "That's just because of how we're dealing with emissions."

Since then, numerous owners of 2020s have found soot-coked EGR tubes just like on the 2nd Gen engines. They've also had EGR issues, CAC hose issues, oil leaks, and blown engines.

My own 2020 has the worst throttle response and driveability of any diesel engine I've ever driven. The software is so bad that it totally kills the ownership experience with this powertrain. A driver who thinks the 2020 EcoDiesel is "good" is a driver who's never driven the competition. This thing is terrible.

With a quality engine tune (and better yet an emissions delete when it becomes available) this engine could be a superstar. But in its current form it's terrible.
You and I are on some of the same forums. I think this goes back to the Jeep Liberty diesel and the LOST group. I’ve seen the oils leaks, had one myself fixed by snugging up the upper oil pan. Had an Exhaust leak that was a pain to find. But EGR issues and blown engines on the gen 3? I have 10K miles on mine and my dealer says I’m the highest mileage 2020 ecodiesel they’re servicing. I’m just not buying the EGR and blown engine comment.

·
Registered
126 Posts
We first read about the horrible throttle response?

Since then, numerous owners of 2020s have found soot-coked EGR tubes just like on the 2nd Gen engines. They've also had EGR issues, CAC hose issues, oil leaks, and blown engines?

You and I are on some of the same forums. I think this goes back to the Jeep Liberty diesel and the LOST group. I’ve seen the oils leaks, had one myself fixed by snugging up the upper oil pan. Had an Exhaust leak that was a pain to find. But EGR issues and blown engines on the gen 3? I have 10K miles on mine and my dealer says I’m the highest mileage 2020 ecodiesel they’re servicing. I’m just not buying the EGR and blown engine comment.
Yeah haven’t heard any aswell, on blown eng or egr, mine has 17k zero issues. Coming up on the second dealer oil change.

little more pep than my 16. And is just as “good”if not better!

·
Vendor
1,255 Posts
Unfortunately, that is true regarding the 2020 engine failures and egr issues. Keep in mind, very little is really changed from the Gen2 engine when you dig into the details.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Jkcamino,
Please elaborate on the lifetime powertrain warranty you mentioned.
Is it one of those dealer offered no-additional-cost ones, or something else?
What is required to keep it in place? Normal maintenance? Normal maintenance at that dealer?

Have you or anyone else had any experience with one of those lifetime warranties actually paying off, when needed?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mine didn’t make it 24 hours and 400 total miles until it went into limp mode and check engine light. EGR valve is stuck open, with 2 other circuit codes.. Today is 1 week in the service shop still waiting on FCA with an answer how to fix. @RamCares

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
Apparently you guys need to join the 3rd Gen EcoDiesel Facebook group. There are EGR issues and blown engines WITH photos on there. The most recent one was a guy with 3,100 miles on his 2020, pulling his camper to the campsite and POOF there went the engine. Metal chunks in the oil pan and all....

I finally got my truck back yesterday. Two weeks in the shop. 5,551 miles on the odometer. So far, engine block seems dry. Time will tell.....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Jkcamino,
Please elaborate on the lifetime powertrain warranty you mentioned.
Is it one of those dealer offered no-additional-cost ones, or something else?
What is required to keep it in place? Normal maintenance? Normal maintenance at that dealer?

Have you or anyone else had any experience with one of those lifetime warranties actually paying off, when needed?
I’ll review my info on the warranty and get back to you. All maintenance for my truck is done at my dealer, good prices, they keep good records and I trust them. plus I get a discount on services.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts