RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2017 Ram EcoDiesel Big Horn and I was wondering what my options are for tuning it, since the EPA started cracking down I would almost prefer a full ECM swap so I don't have to worry about my extended warranty

·
Registered
169 Posts
Order another ecu and have it as a spare and contact ccstuning.com they will hook you up. May even have a ecu for you.

·
Registered
169 Posts
In these desperate times I'm pretty sure they will be doing alot more denials too. It's like hey we build a diesel that burns but you can't delete it for your own safety

·
Registered
169 Posts
They’re more worried about being sued by the government, the owners, and everyone in between!
I get that. Just seems Goofy. Like I've said lots before if I could get a new vehicle much cheaper by not buying into the warranty scam I definately would.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
You know Chrysler can see the miles on the PCM, and on the truck as a whole, yes? If they choose, it’s easy to tell, and makes denial simple!
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the fear-mongering but it's really not necessary. Truth is the warranties are not getting denied when the tune is properly transparent. I'm a testament to this.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
You know Chrysler can see the miles on the PCM, and on the truck as a whole, yes? If they choose, it’s easy to tell, and makes denial simple!
quote invisible because quote from a '' ignored '' member ..
mileage is stored not only in ECM , when swapping ECMs , the other module sync
the mileage and ECM shows proper mileage , fear mongering without knowing enough ....reveales your ignorance , added to ignore list , adios.

·
Registered
137 Posts
quote invisible because quote from a '' ignored '' member ..
mileage is stored not only in ECM , when swapping ECMs , the other module sync
the mileage and ECM shows proper mileage , fear mongering without knowing enough ....reveales your ignorance , added to ignore list , adios.
Trust me - WiTech 2.0 PCM data shows current PCM mileage, vehicle mileage, and several more attributes - including part numbers for various aspects of the programming. They may not choose to act on it, but I promise you, they can tell!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the fear-mongering but it's really not necessary. Truth is the warranties are not getting denied when the tune is properly transparent. I'm a testament to this.
I saw them goodwill a Cummins that was clearly “dusted” from the aftermarket filter that was never serviced, in the name of customer satisfaction. I’m simply providing warning, that if I can clearly see it as a tech, in the data on my end, I am quite certain as I only get a portion of what the server sees, that they can easily tell!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I never said not to tune it, mind you. I honestly believe GDE may understand more about how the system works than the factory guys at any given time.
Just wanted to provide information that we can look at the data, we can see vehicle miles, the miles the current PCM has logged is indicated separately.
I am not saying that FCA will deny coverage. I do know that if they perceive they are losing money, this is an area where they may choose to target to reduce future warranty spend. Companies in the industry follow trends set by other companies, and as I hold certification from Ford and Chrysler, I have already seen Ford start using that as a basis to deny claims.

So I was simply trying to provide what could be useful feedback, and a fair warning, from someone who spends most of his days doing warranty work!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Several options exist, but all aren't created equal. Personally, I'd search for a GDE tuned ecu and go that route. It's a proven tune with plenty of benefits.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I never said not to tune it, mind you. I honestly believe GDE may understand more about how the system works than the factory guys at any given time.
Just wanted to provide information that we can look at the data, we can see vehicle miles, the miles the current PCM has logged is indicated separately.
I am not saying that FCA will deny coverage. I do know that if they perceive they are losing money, this is an area where they may choose to target to reduce future warranty spend. Companies in the industry follow trends set by other companies, and as I hold certification from Ford and Chrysler, I have already seen Ford start using that as a basis to deny claims.

So I was simply trying to provide what could be useful feedback, and a fair warning, from someone who spends most of his days doing warranty work!
Just curious, have you tried to program a used ECU to work in a truck that it did not come in. And if so how hard was it. I am currently in the search of a spare ECU you to work in my truck for warranty repairs. I have did a lot of research on this site which has been very helpful but I have not tried the process yet.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just curious, have you tried to program a used ECU to work in a truck that it did not come in. And if so how hard was it. I am currently in the search of a spare ECU you to work in my truck for warranty repairs. I have did a lot of research on this site which has been very helpful but I have not tried the process yet.
If it came out of a similar vehicle, meaning same engine/trans/bcm, it usually works like normal. We occasionally do a used PCM for aftermarket warranty or insurance. I’ve never done an EcoDiesel, but the Hemi options, you can enter a new VIN, alsign the PIN with the WCM, and it will show you the PCM mileage, and the original VIN number, as well as part numbers/etc.

·
Registered
126 Posts

If it came out of a similar vehicle, meaning same engine/trans/bcm, it usually works like normal. We occasionally do a used PCM for aftermarket warranty or insurance. I’ve never done an EcoDiesel, but the Hemi options, you can enter a new VIN, alsign the PIN with the WCM, and it will show you the PCM mileage, and the original VIN number, as well as part numbers/etc.
So are you saying that the dealer can tell if you switched ECM’s or not ?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes!
As a tech, I can look at the data and easily tell! Again, I can see the original programmed VIN for the PCM, I can see how many miles the PCM has operated, separately from the vehicle total mileage, I can see at least 2 software revisions depending on the vehicle, and many of them will tell me how many times the computer has been flashed, and when the most recent flash occurred.

Mind you, we get “relevant” data and tests that the factory chooses to allow us to see. They get WAY more information than what we can see back to their server. We get from the server ONLY what they want us to use.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Welcome to the forum, thanks for all your valuable information that we could not get any where else. Personally I took my truck to the dealer and got the AEM update. The truck drove like it was running on one cylinder. The mileage went from 25 hwy to 19 hwy. I was BLESSED to get a GDE tune before the big bad EPA shut them down. I plan to get a use ECU and try to use Alpha OBD11 to program it to work in my truck so I will have a ECM to replace in my truck for warranty work. If they catch me well I guest they got me. I REFUSE to drive the truck untuned.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Jerome , you are OK , they don't pull finger prints from the module ....
OK I'll be serious ,,,
if FCA was to ask a dealer to send them an image of the tune contained inside customer's ECM ,
it was reported that they '' could '' look for the '' flash count '' which is the number of times the tune was
modified in the module , getting the GDE tune did not put you at risk for that, because GDE set the post
count at 1 when programming te ECM , the ECM will look to be genuine , you should be a lot more concerned
about the dealer re-writing the Mopar over the GDE tune , your GDE tune would be lost to you if you are in the USA .
*** people who use handheld tuners modify the flash count each time they switch data back and forth inside the module ,
Is that what you read about , when you came up with your question ??
**** swapping back to stock ECM for dealer visits is impossible to detect by dealer .
Of course if the dealer is an ass , and is looking to deny your warranty work , all the tech has to do is
take your truck for a ride , try to set the cruise control at 15 MPH , if it grabs he knows you have a tune
because the stock tune only allows the cruise to grab at ,or above ,25 MPH .
swapping ECM to put back the stock one for dealer visits is the best way to go .
look into the thread to change VIN and injector codes , looks pretty easy ,
just make sure you get a ECM from the proper compatible years ,,, 2014 / 2015 '''' NEED '''' a 2014 / 2015 module .

references :
Official Alfaobd thread
and PDF file in post # 461 in here :
Programming new ECM to ED with AlphaOBD

1 - 19 of 19 Posts