RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please post any info you have about custom tuning or tuning box options for these trucks. I will try to move all data and links to this post for quick reference.

Confirmed tuning boxes:
Diesel Tuning Chip for Ram 1500 3.0 EcoDiesel V6 243PS / 179kW / 240bhp - 276hp/467lbft
Chiptuning for Dodge Ram 1500 ? RaceChip Chiptuning - 291hp/500lbft
Dodge 2014 Ram Ecodiesel 3.0 CRD V6 (237 HP) | Products | STEINBAUER Performance - Power Enhancement for Diesel and Turbo-gas Engines/Motors | STEINBAUER Performance - 285hp/507lbft

Possible tuning boxes:
Bluespark Automotive Performance Diesel Chips | Improve Power and MPG with our Tuning Boxes - ?/?

Possible Flash Devices:
?

Possible Custom Tuners:
?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm leery on anything built and produced in Europe, because chances are the chips aren't programmed for our exact engine variant. The Ecodiesels are found in sedans in Europe. They don't even have access to our full-size truck unless they import it so if we don't have it they don't. I'll wait for a nice North American company with an actual Ram1500 for their programming/support. I do like how they're turning 500lbs though...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm leery on anything built and produced in Europe, because chances are the chips aren't programmed for our exact engine variant. The Ecodiesels are found in sedans in Europe. They don't even have access to our full-size truck unless they import it so if we don't have it they don't. I'll wait for a nice North American company with an actual Ram1500 for their programming/support. I do like how they're turning 500lbs though...
I agree. I would love to see something solid from one of the big US based companies. The options I have listed as confirmed, are specifically for the ram1500 according to the links provided. So, they either have access to US models for r&d or are confident that they can produce something 'close enough,' which IMO is how all box tuners operate.

With that said, I just wanted to put this out there so maybe we can gather feedback on all tuners. Since 2010, tuning options for Chrysler produced diesels have left A LOT to be desired. So, I am willing to explore all options. I am hoping that cummins was behind the locked down ecms.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I would WAIT before tuning. I am hoping that Keith at Green Diesel Engineering - Jeep Performance ECU Chip Tuner will be working on something for the trucks. His tunes are a must have in the 2.8l Jeep community. If I could get a truck now, I would be willing to be somewhat of a guinea pig for him.

From what I found out, you want something that reflashes the computer. These "boxes" that trick the computer by giving false information about the sensors could damage the engine.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I found out, you want something that reflashes the computer. These "boxes" that trick the computer by giving false information about the sensors could damage the engine.
Flashing the ecu is my preference as well. I am just hoping that we dont end up with the same issues on this truck that plagues the gen4 2500 cummins trucks - a locked down ecu coupled with read/write routine issues (some would debate this) on the tuners side.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Im also keen on waiting for a tuner that doesn't void my warranty. I expect to outdrive my warranty halfway through year 3, so thats when I'll really tune it. Re-flashes are the way to go because you can get updated tunes from custom tuners through E-mail. Not many boxes out there that let you contact a real person and have them adjust your tune from 1000+ miles away.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im also keen on waiting for a tuner that doesn't void my warranty. I expect to outdrive my warranty halfway through year 3, so thats when I'll really tune it. Re-flashes are the way to go because you can get updated tunes from custom tuners through E-mail. Not many boxes out there that let you contact a real person and have them adjust your tune from 1000+ miles away.
That wont happen. Any tuning device will cause the truck to operate outside of the oem parameters and will void your power train warranty. The trick is for the tuning box/ecu to be undetectable by the dealership/chrysler. This is where box tuners become attractive - you just unplug them and they leave no trace.

In the case of the 6.7 cummins tuners that I mentioned earlier, the way that they read/write to the ecu leaves evidence that they have been used. This is detectable by chrysler/cummins and there are several documented cases of people getting burnt because of them.

Hopefully, we can have the best of both worlds with this ecu - a flash device capable of custom tuning that leaves no trace....(mmm, efi live?)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I read that Gale Banks is/was working on a 600 horsepower racing version of this engine. I would think we would be seeing tuning options coming from those folks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm not overly mechanically inclined but I can't fathom how a little 3L 6 cylinder engine could possibly push 600 horse. Now, If you ment torque then... Maybe... But I'm definitely at a loss with your last comment Parco

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
366 Posts
I read that Gale Banks is/was working on a 600 horsepower racing version of this engine. I would think we would be seeing tuning options coming from those folks.
It's definitely 600 HP, but they claimed it and I have yet to see it backed up. It's a ridiculously well-built motor, here's the link to the article on Banks' research

Havent's seen footage on the dyno, but they posted pics of the engine all ripped apart and the way they discuss the parts it seems like a really tough motor.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm not overly mechanically inclined but I can't fathom how a little 3L 6 cylinder engine could possibly push 600 horse. Now, If you ment torque then... Maybe... But I'm definitely at a loss with your last comment Parco

Diesel fuel has a lot of potential energy, and many of the parts on the engine that serve emissions purposes or sound-dampening (basically everything in the exhaust for example) will usually limit horsepower. With a race-purpose engine, none of that matters anymore. Once you remove the emissions equipment, you can run more fuel through it(which the engine is naturally able to do but its dialed back).

The fuel pump system is designed in a way that it can have more pumps added, but even if you don't you can run bigger injectors.

The factory turbo has variable-geometry so it can put out more boost than it's tuned to do from factory, but if you get a ball-bearing turbo with less resistance and more output you can gain tons more boost. Boost, in a 1.6L-2.0L Honda (which is smaller but has incredible volumetric efficiency of its intake/exhaust) adds about 50% of the base horsepower for every 7.5 lbs of boost. Ecodiesel engines use a more energetic fuel, tougher components and are designed with a potential oil/cooling capacity that is almost overkill for factory. You can nearly double the output of a Cummins with mostly just fuel/boost work and they're much closer to the potential output than the Ecodiesel. I think doubling the output of the Ecodiesel (480 horse) is a reasonable goal with shelf parts from Banks so a race-spec could turn 600 horse.

Here's a link to a performance package for the Ford Ecoboost that achieves gains(in your driveway) of about 30% with only exhaust, intake, charge pipe, throttle body(we have direct injection so ignore that), and new fuel map. They also offer an intercooler that gets another almost 5% gain. That's with no change to any actual mechanical components at all, so if Banks is changing turbos, injectors, and pumps...sky is the limit!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks Ego for the information, like I said I'm not overly mechanically inclined. Regardless what those racing guys do, I'm hopeful for some type of "invisible" tuner to boost our power ratings.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It will be very interesting to see the limits of this engine. DOHC in a diesel is a neat idea, would be crazy to see these motors make power to 6k rpm.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
It would be nice to see maybe 30-40hp and 40-50lbs and not lose and reliability or longevity..... sign me up for that, in my mind a tuner that tries to pull 100hp+ more out of this engine without and internal mods is just going to cut way down on the longevity of the motor...

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I test drove the quad cab 6'4" box one that glen erin dodge got in this week and the thing already goes like hot stink......i wasvery surprised how well it worked, smooth and just kept pulling and pulling as it went through the gears.....is a hemi faster? No question it i

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think in most cases it becomes how much can the drive train handle. My Duramax was easily boosted to over +150hp from stock (I cant remember the torque) but the transmission could only handle +100hp before it would slip. I always ran mine at +60hp. We need to find the point that the drivetrain gives out and then back it down 15%-25%. for me anyways.
if you are coming from a gas motor and are not use to real gains you will be surprised how much 50hp more is.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I totally agree.....one thing to consider is how much bigger of an engine the duramax is as well compared to tje little 3.0 l

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
People start putting 100+ hp gains to this little motor with just a strait chip or programmer, we are going to see some breakdowns reported i think.....i dunno just my 2cents

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Everyone here is talking HP and Torque. The big thing that the 2.8 VM tunes do is eliminate the EGR electronically in the ECU. That, my friends, is what I want in a tune. I can live with the DPF, SCR, and DEF. The EGR is what wrecks a diesel engine.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
396 Posts
Everyone here is talking HP and Torque. The big thing that the 2.8 VM tunes do is eliminate the EGR electronically in the ECU. That, my friends, is what I want in a tune. I can live with the DPF, SCR, and DEF. The EGR is what wrecks a diesel engine.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
I agree that would be one of the first things I would like to see done. My i was able to simply unplug and block mine on my Duramax. some in 05' through a code. i was lucky and mine did not.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts