RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel with a little over 104K miles on it. I bought it in 2016 with roughly 71K miles on it. I recently had my turbo replaced and truck is in the shop again, about to need the intake replaced as well. I have had the "service electronic throttle" light come on twice each time the dealer claiming those two being the issue for the ETC light to come on. But ETC aside, are these 2 supposed to be replaced this early in life, is it typical for the ram ecodiesel to need these replaced so early on in the vehicles life? just trying to find out if it's a common occurrence for the ram 1500 ecodiesel and I bought a lemon, or if this are out of the blue issue and not a lemon.

·
Registered
13,018 Posts
As you were told in that other thread, but maybe not directly - very possible that dealership is a scam. They are just throwing parts at a problem they did not diagnose and may NOT know how to diagnose. Stop paying thoes idiots big money for incompetence.

Find and haul it to another dealer that would be more competent. Based on their work so far, that should be easy to find. Just tell other dealers what you have already done and get their opinions.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Or being as you’re out of warranty take it to a shop that cares, dealers are rarely more than parts changers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree that maybe you should check out another repair shop. However, I do not agree that all dealerships are crooks and incompetent. Are you asking questions, THE RIGHT QUESTIONS?
Make them prove to you that what they recommend is the correct repair and why! If it doesnt get fixed right then raise hell with the service manager. I have not dealt with an FCA dealer yet because
this is my first FCA anything. I know for a fact that GM dealerships, THE GOOD ONES, stand behind their repairs and will take the time to explain everything, IF YOU ASK and dont act like a POS.
There are good dealerships and good aftermarket shops, you just have to find them.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The issues are usually caused by carbon building up on turbo boost sensor. And that causes a lot of misdiagnosis. Removing sensors and cleaning will help so will removing defuser tube and cleaning out the carbon will help.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I agree with the above posters. EGR soot is most likely your culprit. The only moving parts in the intake manifold are the swirl valves and I bet they are caked in carbon from the EGR system. After your repairs I would seriously consider a tune to get the EGR turned off.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
So I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel with a little over 104K miles on it. I bought it in 2016 with roughly 71K miles on it. I recently had my turbo replaced and truck is in the shop again, about to need the intake replaced as well. I have had the "service electronic throttle" light come on twice each time the dealer claiming those two being the issue for the ETC light to come on. But ETC aside, are these 2 supposed to be replaced this early in life, is it typical for the ram ecodiesel to need these replaced so early on in the vehicles life? just trying to find out if it's a common occurrence for the ram 1500 ecodiesel and I bought a lemon, or if this are out of the blue issue and not a lemon.

My question would be why a turbo charger and an intake manifold?

Possibility of a stuck EGR valve and you have a melted hole in your intake manifold
Possible turbo charger under boost code as well as EGR recirculation flow issues

1 - 9 of 9 Posts