RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On page 149 of the RAM 1500 user guide there is a table showing the various amounts of idle time before turning off the engine. Does everyone follow this guide for their vehicles? I almost missed it when reviewing the manual. :confused:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I try to follow it but it would be soooo much simpler with a gauge:mad:

I was thinking about this - How hard could it have been to add a subroutine when you try to shut off the engine that starts when you put it in park - even if you turned off and removed the key- A screen would pop-up on the EVIC stating that the turbo was cooling down - and the engine just idled till it was cool enough then shut off

·
Registered
505 Posts
If the turbo cool down is that important we need something besides a chart on page 149. That's way too subjective.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If i was towing or just pulled off the highway to refuel or something then i would let it sit and idle for a few minutes, otherwise ill just shut it off.

It should also be pretty simple to add a subroutine to bypass the power relays and the flux capaciters to enable a turbo timer like feature.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I have been driving turbo-equipped cars since high school - not exclusively, mind you, but on and off. I can only think of a single car (Mustang GT SVO) that I ever let "cool down". Normally, I'm simply not driving hard enough to warrant a cool down period. None of my TDIs ever needed it, and one of them I did drive quite hard for 100,000 kms (62,000 miles). Obviously, not 60k miles in one run, but you get the idea. ("Hey hon, going out for milk, need anything in Argentina?")

A cool down for a normal daily driven turbo-equipped motor would be far to much a tax on drivers for turbo equipped engines to become popular like they are today. I think Chrysler is erring on the side of caution and they know some people will overload and over work their trucks. Then, if something breaks, Chrysler can point to page 149 and say "We told ya so..." :(

·
Registered
827 Posts
I monitored EGTs on my last tow (6.5hrs, rolling hills, 7400lbs, 24' enclosed trailer). EGTs dropped very rapidly when I reduced throttle. I don't think that I could get off the freeway to a gas station fast enough that EGT cooldown would be a concern.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
If i was towing or just pulled off the highway to refuel or something then i would let it sit and idle for a few minutes, otherwise ill just shut it off.

Yep....

When I get home with a trailer... I let it idle as I unhook. But, on a normal trip... rolling into my neighborhood is enough cool-down on it's own. (few hundred yards of just off idle) So... I pull in the driveway, and shut down. Besides... the synth oil can take the heat.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I do follow partly. My final leg of my drives are easy going, and I'm conscious not to rev or go under load, then I let idle about a min after this. The goal I believe is to let turbo bearings cool. Not sure EGT sensor would indicate directly the bearing temp. Also, if drive hard under load, I have used the unconnect phone app to shut off after I have left.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I've had a turbo charged engine of some sort for the last 20+ years. (85 Saab 900 turbo, 92 Eagle Talon Tsi, 2000 Jetta TDI, 04 Volvo XC90 T6, 08 Grand Cherokee CRD, 14 ED). I have never blown a turbo....ever.

I was told, with the Saab, to let the car idle for 15 seconds, to get frest oil to the turbo bearings before I go anywhere, and let it idle down for at least 30 seconds before shutting off, to prevent the turbo bearings from Coking. Was also told to use a good synthetic oil too! 432k km on it, when I sold it.

I have done that every since with all my turbo engines. You get used too it. Hell, my wife even practices it.

I know a lot of people who have blown their turbos, everything from Jetta TDIs, to F350's, with low miles on the clock. The lowest was 60k km. When I asked them if they idled it down before they shut it off, they looked at me with confusion.

Agreed, if you idle your last block home, not driven hard, you should be ok, turbo has cooled down enough to shut down. If you driver it hard, let it idle down for a bit to cool off.

Just my 2cents

Here is a decent link.
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f35/coking-egr-turbo-no-boost-238438/

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
458 Posts
I was thinking about this - How hard could it have been to add a subroutine when you try to shut off the engine that starts when you put it in park - even if you turned off and removed the key- A screen would pop-up on the EVIC stating that the turbo was cooling down - and the engine just idled till it was cool enough then shut off
Easy enough, considering the starting cycle is pretty much fully automatic for the keyless models and will run for 30 seconds before automatically disengaging. The same for shutdown could easily be done. I'm guessing there's some sort of possible liability issue with that (lets face it, people are stupid, lawyers like money).

I can only think of a single car (Mustang GT SVO) that I ever let "cool down".(
Well, which one was it, turbo GT or SVO :)p sorry, had to...86 SVO owner here till late last year).

·
Registered
60 Posts
The cooling fan will run at various speeds if you shut down the engine with EGTs and/or coolant that is too hot.
This will protect the turbo and the engine when it's necessary to.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was thinking the same thing about using the uconnect app if really in a hurry...
I do follow partly. My final leg of my drives are easy going, and I'm conscious not to rev or go under load, then I let idle about a min after this. The goal I believe is to let turbo bearings cool. Not sure EGT sensor would indicate directly the bearing temp. Also, if drive hard under load, I have used the unconnect phone app to shut off after I have left.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I know this thread is from 2016 but the issue is always there.

Geno's garage I believe used to sell and they still might a timer module of some sort that would keep the engine running for a prescribed amount of time before allowing the engine to shut down. You could program it for so many minutes and you did not have to stay with the truck, you did everything as normal lock up the truck and the timer would handle the cool down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts