RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual says to leave engine running for 4to5 minutes after heavy hauling to cool down turbo. Anybody know more about this. Ordered my Laramie ltd jan 28 still no truck. Starting to get pissed.

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
Since, like many Canadians, you did not get your truck it's not a problem yet.

Actually, it's not a problem even after you do get your pickup. Most all turbos need to be cooled so what they use for coolant can "cool" the bearings. Shut down anything that super hot and the coolant (water, oil) just sits there and percolates. My take on this is other manufacturers don't even bother to alert the operators of their equipment on that issue. Ram/Chrysler is doing it and should be praised for it. Sad so many are uninformed on the issue but don't blame Ram. Praise Ram for cleaning up the "unwashed".

It's not anything special because it's the Garrett turbo on this V.M. Moteri engine.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Pete what dealer did you order from in mississauga?? I ordered from ontario chy. On march 12th (limited) and picked up on the 15!? I would be pissed to! Did u get a vin or any explanation at least yet??

·
Registered
693 Posts
Re. turbo cooling. As long as you don't push the envelope you shouldn't have to deliberately cool the turbo down. Consider a worse case scenario where someone is pushing the engine very hard climbing up a steep grade at 90-100% throttle. Then the shoulder widens for one of those scenic overlooks so they pull off and immediately shut the engine down. Call it 15secs from WOT (wide open throttle) to key-off. That's probably a bad idea. A more normal scenario would be to go up the hard grade and pull off at an exit for fuel. Time from WOT to key-off prob 2-3min. In that scenario you'd be fine. Cooling is proportional to temperature differences. That means while the turbo is hot as heck, it cools rapidly. As it cools down a bit, the rate of additional cooling slows down. So if a person can give the turbo a single min off of WOT a lot of the cooling will get done. The amount of cooling that occurs in the 2nd min is a lot less, and in the 3rd min still less yet.

Scenarios that are not WOT won't get the turbo all that hot so just go key-off and get the girl into your house before she changes her mind.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Get a turbo timer and be done with it. The easy way is one that has the alarm remote start built in they have options for timers from 0-10min depending on the models.

The other option is it install a EGT probe and have a timer hooked up to it that keeps the truck running until a preset temp. This is the set up I have. I have it set to 390* and the truck runs until the EGTs reach that temp. I prefer this set up because if I'm tooling around town I don't need the truck running for 5min but if I towed 10k pounds and get to my shop, which is right off the highway so there is no traffic to give time to cool, I don't want the timer with a preset time to shutoff way to early.

My turbo time hooks up to my edge insight CTS which I already have an EGT probe hooked up, which every diesel should have, so it was a $120 option that took 3min to hook up.

·
Registered
274 Posts
@ranger. The distance from the highway to my house is short enough that even taking my time at the stop sign my EGTs are still 5-600* by the time I get to my driveway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pete what dealer did you order from in mississauga?? I ordered from ontario chy. On march 12th (limited) and picked up on the 15!? I would be pissed to! Did u get a vin or any explanation at least yet??
Ont Chy. My buddy ordered 12 days after me and his truck came 2 wks ago. Apparently my truck was shipped yesterday at7am ,so I'm hopping it comes today.

·
Registered
693 Posts
@ranger. The distance from the highway to my house is short enough that even taking my time at the stop sign my EGTs are still 5-600* by the time I get to my driveway.
That's pretty hot, so point well taken. Maybe our examples tho are coming from the bigger diesels in bigger trucks. I would imagine the 3.0l EGTs would drop faster because there's less mass in engine, exhaust manifold and turbo housing. Smaller things cool faster because they have a higher ratio of surface area vs. volume. Also, an anecdote re. an big diesel pulling 10000lbs isn't necessarily comparable because the 1500 wouldn't normally be asked to work so hard.

Anyone know if the fancy info center in the gauge cluster will give a readout of EGT? Later edit. I just read thru the manual and the answer seems to be no. Bummer. Surely there's an exhaust temp sensor so the data is in the OBDII stream. Torque BHP will fix that right enough.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm surprised more people don't own turbo timers actually. It was really popular back in the 90s with a lot of the turbo cars. I don't wait the full 4-5 minutes, but I'm pretty good about letting it idle for at least 30 secs to a minute.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My F250s rated for 17,000 pounds so 10 is much. I still see upwards of 500° being unloaded.

If anything the EGT's would be higher on the 1500 because the smaller engines working harder to move similar weight, 6K, 3.0l versus 8k 6.0l. And also that Dps is way more restrictive than anything on the older HD trucks. There is a Pyro meter on the truck I would assume it's needed to determine DPF cleaning, there is one on the new Fords. But it will be behind the turbo towards the DPF.

As to why turbo timers and Pyro meters don't come stock? I don't know it's pretty silly even stock towing moderate loads as in 2 to 3000 pounds i'll see you DTs get well above 1,000* without trying. I'll have to install one on the 1500 in the manifold see what kind of temperatures really gets. RAM leads the industry and a lot of firsts that most people get his aftermarket i.e. air suspension maybe they'll be the first to put a Pyro meter engage on the 1 tons from the factory and that will trickle down.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have always been around heavy equipment and from a young age have been told to Idle back for a few minutes before shutting off the engine, so like Captain I think Ram is doing a good thing but putting out cool down time numbers.
On the wait for your truck I too share in your pissed-of -ness. I ordered in Jan. it has been built for what seems like ever and still no truck. My dealer is being good and are just as cranky as me as they have sold over 20 and none have showed up yet. As far as I know there in none in Nova Scotia yet. If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't believe they even built these mythical trucks.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I'm curious about the 4-5 mins instructions. Everything I've heard is modern turbo designs and motor oils essentially eliminate real-world worry of coking oil. It's been that way for some time now. I would think 2 mins max would get it done which happens by the time you slow down, take the off ramp, and park it. I've owned 2 dmax's and I never worried about it, never had a problem, and never heard of a problem.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just towed a 3K trailer 10minutes got off the highway went through 2 stop lights and back the trailer into the shop, EGTs were at 520* when I pulled the key out. Turbo timer kept it running until it hit 390*

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm curious about the 4-5 mins instructions. Everything I've heard is modern turbo designs and motor oils essentially eliminate real-world worry of coking oil. It's been that way for some time now. I would think 2 mins max would get it done which happens by the time you slow down, take the off ramp, and park it. I've owned 2 dmax's and I never worried about it, never had a problem, and never heard of a problem.
In my owners manual under the 3.0 diesel instructions,there is a table with times from less then a minute to 5 minutes depending on how hard the engine has been worked up to shutting it down.less then a minute is for no load. and light stop and go driving.From there the time advised increases depending on how much load was being placed on the engine.The 5 minutes is for extreme conditions like pulling a heavy trailer uphill.I apply these times to a gas engine anyways if it's been working hard,rather then just shutting it down as this is how I was taught too.Most of the time I can ease into where I need to be so I don't have to sit and idle much anyways.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have run and seen all kinds of different engines used in an underground coal mine. Very seldom do most people wait at all to shut down down any equipment or trucks at my job. Most of the engines show no signs of ill effects from never getting to idle and cool down. When my eco gets here I will make an effort to cool it just like I do on my cummins but I seldom actually let it idle for a few minutes unless I have been pulling something so I don't think this issue is anything to worry about. Try to let it cool when you can but don't worry too much if you pull in somewhere and just shut it down.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Ont Chy. My buddy ordered 12 days after me and his truck came 2 wks ago. Apparently my truck was shipped yesterday at7am ,so I'm hopping it comes today.
I hope so Pete. My shipping took two weeks. Well worth the wait though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What timer do you have how was the install I have a scan gauge not edge but I would guess I can use the scan gauge because it has the turbo temp thanks for your help

·
Registered
481 Posts
This is a good, I have been a Boosted car fan for many years, and all my engines I own are turbocharged. I have used Cheap turbos, all sorts of sizes of Garrets, to Aftermarket Quality brands from japan, and more.
My little 4cyl track car has taught me over the years that with stock turbos fitted for the engine is fine to shut off when driving normally. Like how others have stated, after some aggressive driving and pushing the car to its limits or just being worked its good to let it cool for about a minute. My track car revs to 8,500 rpm safely and reliably and the turbo keeps on making power, but the issue people who build boosted cars worry about is coking. If you really want some peace of mind, you could like other have stated add a turbo timer whether it be manual or remote.Turbos have come a long way since their initial conception.

So based on my background in motorsports here is the breakdown and I hope this helps, but first it would be nice if someone can confirm if our turbos are oil and water (but im pretty sure they are, havent checked but when I get time I'll try):

Turbos are cooled either by water, oil or air
but most modern turbos are cooled by oil and water

I do not know if our ED are water oil or oil air but I bet its water and oil since its a new truck and engine
Basically you dont want the center of the turbo to heat soak from the heat in the exhaust manifold and head after shutting the engine off right after some heavy driving. Constant high temp Heat soak will obviously damage the turbo.

Oil flows through the turbo to cool when the engine is running and the oil exit line feeds into the oil pan, which is below the turbo. This is so the oil can empty out with gravity when engine is off and not sit inside the turbo and "coke".

Water cooling is also a crucial part in getting rid of heat and heat soak, Water is pumped through the system as the engine is runs because of the water pump, however the main purpose of water cooling is after the engine is shut off and even thought the water pump isn't running, the water will naturally cool the inner turbo parts. So let me explain how this works, If the turbo has a well built water inlet and outlet in the turbo for the water, the water in the turbo after shutdown will conduct the heat from the turbo and as it passes through it will rise (think of boiling water) and because cooler water normally resides at the bottom it will bring/give off its heat as it passes through the cool water. As it cools down while rising it will then fall back through the system or the turbo and repeat. This is the main purpose of water cooled turbos.

hope that makes sense haha. Turbos are amazing, and I love them, they make driving cars fun.

So to recap, you can just shut off the engine and dont worry if doing normal driving. However if you are doing some heavy driving and temps rise and you have been working the motor, make sure to allow at least a minute of cool down time. Also try to let the car cool in idle on a flat surface. If you read and understood what I typed its not as efficient if parked on a steep incline especially after heavy use. Not saying avoid all hill parking at all cost but only after heavy driving.

;)

here is an example of coking in turbos around the shaft or seal when it heat soaks, it breaks the oil down and because its trapped it cokes and for obvious reasons this is not good and will not prolong turbo life.
adfdasf.PNG
picture if from garrets site itself, very useful reads there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So folks, I drive up a steep grade every day to get home, 5 miles mostly up hill with a few breaks in between, but the final one mile is all up hill, not to mention I park on an uphill slope. From what I read, give the motor at least a minute before turning it off, yes? Has anyone fitted a turbo timer to the ED's?-Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts