RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 ecodiesel 1500 81k under warranty
Turbo started making higher pitch and different noise. Dealer is waiting on some parts to do a turbo replacement.
Says it's best to remove cab rather than drop tyranny? Anyone go through this yet.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,062 Posts
I dont know, but if they do drop the transmission have them replace the tone wheel while they are in there!

Maybe a stupid idea, but crawl under the truck and check the flange bolts in the exhaust if a change in sound is the only sign.

·
Super Moderator
3,730 Posts
Not like previous generations these are designed for cab removal. Wiring harnesses have plug in connectors etc. With proper lift and some experience they can literally lift the cab from the truck in 1.5 hours. There have been some false WiTech scan tool readings combined with inexperienced techs where they have replaced good turbos but since it’s all under warranty at least that would not be on you. You might for curiosity keep the old turbo. Should be no side to side shaft play only in out play.

Reactions: TexasJoe and HYDREX

·
Registered
662 Posts
2016 ecodiesel 1500 81k under warranty
Turbo started making higher pitch and different noise. Dealer is waiting on some parts to do a turbo replacement.
Says it's best to remove cab rather than drop tyranny? Anyone go through this yet.
Thanks
Does the different noise sound like a little chirping dog sound? I have a weird sound coming from under the the hood that sounds like a chirping dog, does it off and on, and I am thinking it might be the turbo, any ideas would be appreciated. Also, the transmission shutters from a dead stop once in a while. Took it to a repair shop to get the trans oil changed, he said his machine hooks into the bottom two radiator lines, new fluid in one line and old out the other. Said he could not pump it thru the tranny, first time he has ever ran into that. Again any ideas would be great. FYI 185K miles and first issue I have ever had.
Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
171 Posts
I dont know, but if they do drop the transmission have them replace the tone wheel while they are in there!

Maybe a stupid idea, but crawl under the truck and check the flange bolts in the exhaust if a change in sound is the only sign.
I fully agree -it is definitely not a stupid idea.

I thought I needed a new turbo. Turned out that a gap at the exhaust flange and the two layer titanium gasket whistles and sounds like a turbo issue.

The flange studs can stretch or fail due to the high heat cycling and the discussion starter is right at the milage when this issue occurs. Depending on which stud fails and the direction of the flange gap the def injector could also melt (happened to me.)

SERIOUSLY this is an issue!!! I do not have enough digits to count the number of times I have heard of it on an ecodiesel at about 75K miles. Easy fix - drill out the bolts or heat and press out the studs and add three new ones along with a fresh metal gasket

Look it up on this forum - lots of details available it appears several times.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so dealer got turbo replaced and noise is still there. Lol looks like you guys might be right. I sent him a screen shot of this and told them to start looking at exhaust flanges ect.
Unbelievable.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
171 Posts
Ok so dealer got turbo replaced and noise is still there. Lol looks like you guys might be right. I sent him a screen shot of this and told them to start looking at exhaust flanges ect.
Unbelievable.
Nothing surprises me.

To be fair, I thought it was the turbo as well until the gap and the escaping heat melted the def injector. Crawled underneath and the penny dropped so to speak especially when I brushed up against one of the nuts and it fell off.

That was the second time the melted def injector was repaired. The first time was by the dealership tech who did not ask why the thing melted in the first place and the second time when “I” drilled out the flange studs, added new high strength “Grade 6” bolts and a new def injector and wiring harness segment.

Nothing surprises me……

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
171 Posts
Not sure if this will make a difference or not but surely won't hurt. Wrapped heat tape around the injector just in case of a leak.
View attachment 89846
That is cool… no pun intended.

I have toyed with the idea of bending a piece of sheet metal to act as a shield but have yet to do so. Possibly hanging it off the studs via a drilled out bent tab that is held in place with additional nuts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so upshot was they replaced turbo it wasn't the problem however the sides of it where starting to show significant wear so it needed to be done. Then when the noise was still happening after turbo replacement I sent the info you guys posted regarding Def flange area and sure enough it was smoked. They replaced pump bolts gaskets ect. Turbo was under original warranty emissions under the FCA settlement. GDE since early days for me.
I kept my ECM when I bought from GDE
so I switched it out before this debacle began.
Glad to have everything back together sweet truck again. 2016 ecodiesel bighorn quad cab
W ram boxes. Thanks for all the info 👍

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
171 Posts
Ok so upshot was they replaced turbo it wasn't the problem however the sides of it where starting to show significant wear so it needed to be done. Then when the noise was still happening after turbo replacement I sent the info you guys posted regarding Def flange area and sure enough it was smoked. They replaced pump bolts gaskets ect. Turbo was under original warranty emissions under the FCA settlement. GDE since early days for me.
I kept my ECM when I bought from GDE
so I switched it out before this debacle began.
Glad to have everything back together sweet truck again. 2016 ecodiesel bighorn quad cab
W ram boxes. Thanks for all the info 👍
The flange bolts and the chirp is a very common problem. I am surprised by how many times the issue gets skipped in favour of turbo replacement.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Not sure if this will make a difference or not but surely won't hurt. Wrapped heat tape around the injector just in case of a leak.
That's a smart idea.

Reactions: UHBrandt

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
171 Posts
A new turbo is an upside for the owner!

However, the story is that that old one had some worn blades. I wonder how true that really is when the average duty cycle for the turbo is 250,000 plus miles. Every time a dealership service department passes a false warranty cost to FCA - we all pay in higher new vehicle prices. Everytime the dealership tech “explores and learns” how to fix your vehicle - you pay.

I just hate shoddy, inefficient and wasteful work practices. After sitting in many, many service departments over the decades waiting for repairs and listening to the service reps beguile their customers, my anecdotal estimate is that 1/2 of all the repair work done at dealerships for all vehicles has some element of “rip off.”

The collective “we” just let it happen because “we” don’t know any better. The dealerships just go about their business and everytime someone asks a question that touches on the subject you either get some BS story or a “don’t you worry your pretty little head” type of spin.

Over the last 15 -20 years I have shifted to doing about 75% of my own repair work - and for the remaining 25% going to a trusted mechanic with my own diagnosis in hand and specifically directing the work. I do not write blank checks anymore.

Sorry…. just my Sunday morning rant. I feel better now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts