RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Here is the latest with my 2014.
Have rhe stage 2 delete and tune and right after I got truck back, noticed the whoosh sound or something like that when I took my foot off the pedal after bit of hard accelerate. Then started to notice a fluttering sound, like when you bend a deck of cards and allow it it hit the finger when they straighten. I couldn't figure the noise until doing 115km/h up a slight grade and took my foot off the pedal and the flutter stopped and the whoosh noise happened.
This didn't happen all the time and I forgot about the flutter. The whoosh was constant and was told its normal.
Now, couple weeks back the flutter returned and such. Still didn't know what, but no affect on performance.
So took trailer out camping and truck towed like a dream. Still has whoosh and flutter bur nothing crazy.
Coming home yesterday noticed flutter much loader and whoosh not really different. 20kms from home, engine started to sound slightly louder, but no more flutter and no more whoosh. Performance has not changed at all. No lights, nothing at all. Going to take it to the shop next week and see.
Anyone have any idea.
Trailer weight was about 6500lbs and egt temp didn't exceed 1300F, and was around 950 to 1000 on the flats.
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage 2 Delete, CCS Tuned, Timbren bump stops, Straight Pipe
253 Posts
What tune are you running? Almost sounds like the overboost/VGT issue I'm having with my CCS tune. I've been complaining for a bit but they are blaming it on a stuck VGT. I'm switching to MRTuning soon.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What tune are you running? Almost sounds like the overboost/VGT issue I'm having with my CCS tune. I've been complaining for a bit but they are blaming it on a stuck VGT. I'm switching to MRTuning soon.
Im running a tune out of Lightspeed. I am curious on that as well. Unfortunately I dont remember hearing any of this prior to the tune going in. I will take it back to the shop here in Calgary and see what they say. I am more concerned now the noises have gone away and the truck sounds louder in the cab to me now.
Ill update what I find out.

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage 2 Delete, CCS Tuned, Timbren bump stops, Straight Pipe
253 Posts
I'm very familiar with Cam at lightspeed. Wonder if both CCS and lightspeed are using a similar tune file from some online source as your issue sounds similar to mine. Are you completely deleted (EGR stage 2 and DPF)?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Hi everyone,

Here is the latest with my 2014.
Have rhe stage 2 delete and tune and right after I got truck back, noticed the whoosh sound or something like that when I took my foot off the pedal after bit of hard accelerate. Then started to notice a fluttering sound, like when you bend a deck of cards and allow it it hit the finger when they straighten. I couldn't figure the noise until doing 115km/h up a slight grade and took my foot off the pedal and the flutter stopped and the whoosh noise happened.
This didn't happen all the time and I forgot about the flutter. The whoosh was constant and was told its normal.
Now, couple weeks back the flutter returned and such. Still didn't know what, but no affect on performance.
So took trailer out camping and truck towed like a dream. Still has whoosh and flutter bur nothing crazy.
Coming home yesterday noticed flutter much loader and whoosh not really different. 20kms from home, engine started to sound slightly louder, but no more flutter and no more whoosh. Performance has not changed at all. No lights, nothing at all. Going to take it to the shop next week and see.
Anyone have any idea.
Trailer weight was about 6500lbs and egt temp didn't exceed 1300F, and was around 950 to 1000 on the flats.
Thanks for any input.
Hi: Calgaryecodiesel... My truck makes the same noises but usually only when very cold, wintery like, and if pushed hard. Once it's warmed up it seems to go away. I'm still running stock at 118,000+ kms.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
447 Posts
My turbo also makes similiar noises when decelerating or winding down after making boost, I assumed it was normal and more noticeable on my truck to to it being deleted and the straight piped exhaust. there are many threads here started by people about the different noises the turbo makes., might want to do a search here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm very familiar with Cam at lightspeed. Wonder if both CCS and lightspeed are using a similar tune file from some online source as your issue sounds similar to mine. Are you completely deleted (EGR stage 2 and DPF)?
He has been great with me. I am starting to wonder the same thing. I am going to run some diagnostics this morning to see what my boost is and see if I can get the sounds to come back. It doesnt seem like I have lost any performance at all, but the noises bother me, and now that they are gone, the truck seems to sound louder, so I am wondering if I have a loose clamp, broken bolt, or something. If I cant find anything, its back to the shop for the experts to take a look, and by shop I am not meaning a stealership haha.
Hi: Calgaryecodiesel... My truck makes the same noises but usually only when very cold, wintery like, and if pushed hard. Once it's warmed up it seems to go away. I'm still running stock at 118,000+ kms.
hi there,
my truck has been making the whooshing or barking noise since I had the tune and delete done, and the flutter in the past couple of months. It doesnt seem to have any difference on outside temp. thats good you are still stock. I was up to 177000 kms, but I blew my tranny at this time last year and then spun the bearing on the main crank in August, so decided it was time to do something to get rid of all that EGR and DEF stuff.
Love the truck again, and love what the delete and tune did for the performance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am completely deleted. I am now curious as well. I am going to go out and run the truck this morning to see what I can hear. The truck is definitely louder sounding now, and I dont seem to have the turbo whoosh or the flutter. So i am also wondering if I threw a hose, or broke a bolt or clamp. I havent noticed any difference in performance, but if I dont notice anything, its back to the shop for the experts to review.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am completely deleted. I am now curious as well. I am going to go out and run the truck this morning to see what I can hear. The truck is definitely louder sounding now, and I dont seem to have the turbo whoosh or the flutter. So i am also wondering if I threw a hose, or broke a bolt or clamp. I havent noticed any difference in performance, but if I dont notice anything, its back to the shop for the experts to review.
hey, so my saga continues, as I said in another post down below, but my flutter noise has gone away and the whooshing, barking etc has also gone away, but tonight pulling onto the deerfoot, got the dreaded ding, and CEL is on. Code that comes up is P22FA which is something to do with a NOX sensor, so just curious if this came up for you as well.

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
It's the tune.

Not sure why folks continue to go with little-known Eco tuners and wonder why they have issues. Surely not a good idea to follow advice on here from those who have been there.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Hi: Calgaryecodiesel... At the moment the only "Woosh and flutter" I have is the noise of the money leaving my wallet. At $2.399/L diesel makes my heart flutter even with a pacemaker!!!

·
Premium Member
2014 RAM Big Horn 4x4 Quad diesel
196 Posts
I’ve had a soft 1/2 second whoosh sound right after an up shift, most noticeable in the mid gears. It started at about 135k miles, and is Hard to hear until pointed out.

Several mechanics have opined it’s the variable turbo vines changing at the shifts.

It has not affected driving or performance. Keeping my fingers crossed it won’t get any worse.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I’ve had a soft 1/2 second whoosh sound right after an up shift, most noticeable in the mid gears. It started at about 135k miles, and is Hard to hear until pointed out.

Several mechanics have opined it’s the variable turbo vines changing at the shifts.

It has not affected driving or performance. Keeping my fingers crossed it won’t get any worse.
Mine does the same thing, as well as when on cruise going downhill it will make surging noises, boost with increase and VGT position changes. I'm fully deleted though as well as the intake has those baffles removed so the noise is more noticeable. It has to be tuning related. Constant turbo surging isn't good or healthy so I'm switching my tuning in coming weeks and hopefully that fixes it.

·
Premium Member
2014 RAM Big Horn 4x4 Quad diesel
196 Posts
Mine does the same thing, as well as when on cruise going downhill it will make surging noises, boost with increase and VGT position changes. I'm fully deleted though as well as the intake has those baffles removed so the noise is more noticeable. It has to be tuning related. Constant turbo surging isn't good or healthy so I'm switching my tuning in coming weeks and hopefully that fixes it.
FYI my 2014 ED has the GDE EPA tune with everything intact.
This started about six months after the GDE tune.
All recalls including the AEM were previously done before I bought the truck.

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
447 Posts
could it be these noises are typical but most dont notice due to the baffles and mufflers normally installed? I know mines deleted with no baffles or swirl valves in the banks intake. I also have straight pipes and my turbo makes everything from the turbo wine to the brief scrapping noise sometimes on deceleration and I assumed it was normal since ive seen multiple threads from new owners and even videos with these sounds. Torque app shows nothing weird with my boost numbers.

·
Registered
253 Posts
could it be these noises are typical but most dont notice due to the baffles and mufflers normally installed? I know mines deleted with no baffles or swirl valves in the banks intake. I also have straight pipes and my turbo makes everything from the turbo wine to the brief scrapping noise sometimes on deceleration and I assumed it was normal since ive seen multiple threads from new owners and even videos with these sounds. Torque app shows nothing weird with my boost numbers.
What's your tune? Have any bizarre boost measurements on cruise going downhill?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts