RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
21,000 km. 2014 Ram Eco Diesel. Three weeks without truck. I was told another 5 weeks to get new injectors . Offered $1000 dollars toward rental. Paying $100 per day for truck rental. $may cost $6000 . Any ideas? I am involved with chrysler canada..I e
Really need the truck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I need an injector too! Mine has been gone over a week and I was told January 15th was the earliest I could get one! I am now in the lemon law process. Luckily my state is has a VERY STRONG consumer law stating 30 days out of possession in first 18 months and they must replace or buy back!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wow, thats horrible. Chrysler has always been bad about stocking engine parts from non-Chrysler engine companies. They failed on the 2.8L Liberty from VM, and I guess they are ignoring the 3.0L too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No warranty?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow, thats horrible. Chrysler has always been bad about stocking engine parts from non-Chrysler engine companies. They failed on the 2.8L Liberty from VM, and I guess they are ignoring the 3.0L too.
Not enough spares for responsive warranty repairs has been an issue for them long before FCA ownership, even for domestic parts made in the US. Torque converters from the US, TIPM's made in China, fuel injectors made by Bosch globally, doesn't matter where the parts are made. They have a history of not stocking enough spare parts for responsive warranty (or non-warranty) repairs. Doesn't matter to the customer if all of them do it or not.

When it's a trend with a long term history, it's not a forecast model that couldn't anticipate a shortage or failure mode, it's a business model that has priority on production. It was easier to do business this way before Internet forums, but today it's next to impossible to hide month(s) long warranty repairs waiting on parts.

That's a business model someone within FCA enacted, not a law of physics that can't be changed.

To the OP with the injector issue, I'd suggest an experiment. If you can find the Bosch injector part number, try contacting Bosch directly to see if they have parts in stock. Not to buy it, just to see where the long delay to delivery is originating from.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
When it's a trend with a long term history, it's not a forecast model that couldn't anticipate a shortage or failure mode, it's a business model that has priority on production. It was easier to do business this way before Internet forums, but today it's next to impossible to hide month(s) long warranty repairs waiting on parts.

That's a business model someone within FCA enacted, not a law of physics that can't be changed.

I agree that it is a business model that has a priority on production. To take it a step farther, production equals profits and that's what keeps the stock holders happy. This business model permeates corporate strategy across all product lines. Consider Microsoft, for example, selling the latest version of Windows. You buy it in good faith and expect to get what you bargained for. Instead, you get a beta version that has a lot of bugs. Over time, they issue updates and maybe, after a year, it performs almost like what you expected to get when you purchased it.... and, just in time for a new version.

You are also correct that it's not a law of physics that can't be changed. However, in a sense, the laws of physics do apply. That is, the business plan has so much momentum that it would take an enormous amount of force to stop it; a force not achievable by the consumer.

So, let's enjoy our beta version RAMs and hope that all the bugs get worked out in a reasonable amount of time.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just in time (business) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it's called "just in time" ordering.some organisations do it better than others.ford and GM are just as guilty.there are also issues with centralised parts storage.as an example,just south of me in Red Deer,is a parts storage and central order depot for western Canada. all of western Canada.for every dealer.

dealers don't want to carry excess inventory either...so...you get massive delays in hard to get odd parts,that aren't commonly replaced.welcome to the business of modern automotive production.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
The JIT concept is a good one. Individual service providers don't have to stock a myriad of parts and can order from central warehouses. This concept could actually reduce the retail price of a part, but it would be naïve to think that it actually would. Normally, that would delay getting a part by a day or two, which may be annoying but not unreasonable. However, what we are seeing is a far greater problem. Obviously, the central warehouses do not have adequate stocking levels. This goes beyond JIT and reflects the fact that corporations will do anything to increase their profits, at the expense of the consumer. When the corporations became unregulated the consumer became fair game and the government provides little support. While lemon laws may keep the consumer from being totally cheated out of a large sum of money, it does little to avert the many visits and waiting that most of us will have to endure.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The JIT concept is a good one. Individual service providers don't have to stock a myriad of parts and can order from central warehouses. This concept could actually reduce the retail price of a part, but it would be naïve to think that it actually would. Normally, that would delay getting a part by a day or two, which may be annoying but not unreasonable. However, what we are seeing is a far greater problem. Obviously, the central warehouses do not have adequate stocking levels. This goes beyond JIT and reflects the fact that corporations will do anything to increase their profits, at the expense of the consumer. When the corporations became unregulated the consumer became fair game and the government provides little support. While lemon laws may keep the consumer from being totally cheated out of a large sum of money, it does little to avert the many visits and waiting that most of us will have to endure.
what JIT leads to ,naturally,is a long delay supply chain...what this basically means is that the progression of ordering is advanced to many weeks,and production planning and logistics,reflects directly upon that supply chain.
a sudden rise in orders for a specific component,is seen by the chain,only as a sharp rise in customer demand.this change simply cannot be met rapidly if the orders are small...the rise in demand has to be constant enough and large to be projected,in advance,and sent down the chain.

the problem is not a lack of regulation.far from it...the issue stems from a supply of parts so tightly regulated,controlled and managed,sometimes months in advance,that a handful of customers suddenly needing one specific component,simply doesn't fit into the chain.you see this again an again,for any manufacturer of mass consumed goods.not just cars.every auto company,except perhaps those making small numbers of niche market cars,hand built, have the same issues.they're not trying to screw us over...were simply too small to get noticed rapidly.admitedly,this has to change.

entire careers have been made on the statistics,modeling and regulation of JIT...the business is enormous in itself.we fleas simply can't get noticed by the elephant.
what really has to change is quality control.there doesn't seem to be a system in place to make running changes on the line if serious problems crop up.the business is run by statistical prediction of failure...a handful of failures among 10's of thousands of components is little more than a statistical blip,and again,won't be seen by he system in any rapid way.that has to change too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
well, lemon law scares them and after to talking with someone at RAM directly..........the injector arrived to my dealer within 3 days! WOW! Installed and test drove to find.................that wasn't the issue! FAIL! back to the lemon law process!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts