RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the 2016's uconnect system is upgradable to Apple car play or android auto?

Also, the payload on the long box crew 4x4 is only 1230ish lbs... How can I increase this? Stiffer springs in the back?

Cheers

·
Registered
390 Posts
I think the consensus is that it will not be upgradeable.The latest Uconnects can be updated with security patches and minor refreshes through your dealer or via thumb drive, but the Apple/Android upgrade is a major system change, maybe requiring some slightly different hardware. We might not know for sure though until later in the year. I might end up using an aftermarket solution for mirroring my phone to the Uconnect. It is a good option that solves several issues.
As for the payload capacity, thats a tricky question. The weak link in the chain can be different from one model to the next, depending on tire types, suspension tweaks,axle ratios, brakes, drivetrains, etc etc.
Not recommending overloading, but obviously the engineers have a built in industry-agreed-to standard cushion for margin which my guess is substantial due to the stupid things some people are capable of. As long as you are not doing it regularly, a few hundred pounds extra from time to time probably wont hurt anything. Unfortunately, common sense is harder to come by nowadays.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tommy.

I wonder why the payload is so approx. 200lbs less than the hemi in the same configuration. Is the eco diesel motor that much heavier to begin with?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yes, though only 3.0 liters, it is about 100 pounds heavier than the Hemi if I remember correctly (plus about 8 gallons of DEF)
Plus the long bed crew cab is the heaviest and biggest you can get, so...smallest relative payload, which remember also has to account for anything else in the truck, including passengers.
Ive always thought it ironic you buy a bigger truck and bed, but you can haul fewer pounds with it
In the end though, almost nobody ever weighs their loads. Just use common sense, load up what you need, and drive appropriately.
Personally, Im getting a 1200 pound capacity Cargo Ease bedslide for my truck that weighs over 100 pounds itself. It will probably break from overloading long before the truck does, lol
Only thing I worry about with overloads is stopping distance. Give an extra couple car lengths.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts