RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received an email from FCA letting me know an update is coming. Does anyone know what the update contains?

·
Registered
107 Posts
There was an update available for me, but I could never get it to load on the truck. After downloading it a few times to make sure I didn't have issues with the file, I called customer service and they asked the brand of the flash drive I was using. Apparently there are some flash drives that are not compatible with the system. They advised that Lexar, Scan Disk and PNY have issues. The directions for the download include 2 files. I could never get the files to download with the proper extensions, even after half dozen tries. Customer service could not figure out what the issue is, so after wasting several hours I will never get back, I will stay with what I currently have.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This one is different, it's an "over the air" update so no flash drive is needed. With that said, they are having issues with it because there is an automated message on the customer care phone line with special instructions if it's screwed up.

I never heard of an issue with different brands of flash drives especially since USB is a standard protocol that every manufacturer has to follow. Though they do say between 4 and 16gb. If it's larger it may not work. Also, the flash drive has to be formatted before each use, and has to be FAT32. FAT32 cut's the usable size of the drive by half, so if you need 4gb of useable memory you'll have to buy an 8gb stick and formatting to FAT32 will make it 4gb

·
Administrator
8,255 Posts
Also, the flash drive has to be formatted before each use, and has to be FAT32. FAT32 cut's the usable size of the drive by half, so if you need 4gb of useable memory you'll have to buy an 8gb stick and formatting to FAT32 will make it 4gb
I've never experienced anywhere near this loss in file size with FAT 32. There is some overhead, but no where near half the USB stick capacity.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I got a message on my screen about the download. pressed the button they asked and it downloaded. took about 10 min. I have not noticed one thing different then prior to the new download. Anybody know what it supposedly fixes ?

·
Super Moderator
3,811 Posts
Also, the flash drive has to be formatted before each use, and has to be FAT32. FAT32 cut's the usable size of the drive by half, so if you need 4gb of useable memory you'll have to buy an 8gb stick and formatting to FAT32 will make it 4gb
This is completely false, the drive does not have to be formatted every time, the drive just needs to be empty. Formatting a drive in FAT32 does NOT cut the useable size of the drive in half. I have formatted many drives in FAT32 and yet to "lose" any more than the difference between the manufacturer GB (1000 Mb) and what the computer considers a GB (1024 Mb). I have a 128GB USB drive I use for music in the truck that's formatted to FAT32 which shows a formatted capacity of about 115GB, which is about the same if it was formatted in NTFS or exFAT.

You either need to use a command line prompt or a format program to format a flash drive larger than 32GB to FAT32 in Windows. Also you can't store larger than 4GB files on a drive formatted FAT32.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Supposedly there's an informational window that pops up after the update with details of the "fix".

It seems weird that there's no information on what the update does. It makes me skeptical and the fact that it's mandatory doesn't help.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I got the email yesterday also. When I got home from work and shut the truck off, the update screen showed up, so I pressed update and shut the door and went into the house. A couple hours later went to go somewhere and it said the update was complete when I started the truck. Also said my radio favorites might need to be redone. All of my FM favorites were there along with the XM ones, just my AM favorites needed to be reset. Other than that, looks and feels the same.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I got the email yesterday also. When I got home from work and shut the truck off, the update screen showed up, so I pressed update and shut the door and went into the house. A couple hours later went to go somewhere and it said the update was complete when I started the truck. Also said my radio favorites might need to be redone. All of my FM favorites were there along with the XM ones, just my AM favorites needed to be reset. Other than that, looks and feels the same.
Mike - if you can, try clicking around to see if you can find the screen that shows you all of what's new in the update.

Here's the Uconnect instructions from their web page:

> Select the Apps icon from the lower menu bar, then select Settings from the list of icons.
> Press System Information, then scroll down and select What’s New.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've never experienced anywhere near this loss in file size with FAT 32. There is some overhead, but no where near half the USB stick capacity.
This is completely false, the drive does not have to be formatted every time, the drive just needs to be empty. Formatting a drive in FAT32 does NOT cut the useable size of the drive in half. I have formatted many drives in FAT32 and yet to "lose" any more than the difference between the manufacturer GB (1000 Mb) and what the computer considers a GB (1024 Mb). I have a 128GB USB drive I use for music in the truck that's formatted to FAT32 which shows a formatted capacity of about 115GB, which is about the same if it was formatted in NTFS or exFAT.

You either need to use a command line prompt or a format program to format a flash drive larger than 32GB to FAT32 in Windows. Also you can't store larger than 4GB files on a drive formatted FAT32.
So apparently I was mistaken about the FAT32 formatting, and I stand corrected. It was my personal experience with a 64gb flash drive that when formatted to FAT32 ended up only 32gb. I didn't realize at the time that the windows formatting tool was the issue

·
Super Moderator
3,811 Posts
It was my personal experience with a 64gb flash drive that when formatted to FAT32 ended up only 32gb. I didn't realize at the time that the windows formatting tool was the issue
For most people, the easiest way to format anything larger than 32G in Windows to FAT32 is use this portable app:
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm
This is a portable app, nothing is actually installed your computer and you just run the .exe file.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Go here, type in your VIN:

https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update.html

It'll tell you if you have the most current version or not, and you can download the newest version on a USB stick and print out the directions to install. Takes about 30-40 min and lots of patience (just leave it be, even if it looks like it's stuck or frozen, let it continue, play a game so you don't keep looking at the screen thinking " ah crap, it's stuck.." it'll finish when it's finished. I've done two updates on my own, no issues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I received a notice yesterday that an up was to take place within 24 hours & to schedule a time. I scheduled a time for 10 pm mtn time last night & this morning the same message came up.
Has anyone else had his experience?

·
Registered
488 Posts
I received a notice yesterday that an up was to take place within 24 hours & to schedule a time. I scheduled a time for 10 pm mtn time last night & this morning the same message came up.
Has anyone else had his experience?
I believe the truck needs to be on and in park. I think that is what the message told me.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts