RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one do you guys think is better getting a truck under oiled or using a electric rust proofing device. Dealer is pushing the electric device but has not told me the cost of it yet.

D

·
0 Posts
I have done a lot of research on this subject. Attached is a link which does a comparison study between oil spray and electronic rustproofing. Eccles Auto Service - Complete Vehicle Service Centre in Dundas & Hamilton Area :: Do electronic rust protectors work?. I can only speak from my experience, but I have used Krown rustproofing annually on my last vehicle and it still looked new after 14 years of ownership. Not only does the product protect your under carriage, it also lubricates all your components(suspension,etc) and your exhaust system. I just replaced my car with a Ram EcoDiesel as I needed a larger vehicle and intend on having Krown applied annually. If you plan on keeping your vehicle for an extended period of time, rust proofing every year is money well spent. It saves you from having to do bodywork and keeps your vehicle looking new which results in a higher resale value.
Hope this info is of assistance in helping you make your decision.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have done a lot of research on this subject. Attached is a link which does a comparison study between oil spray and electronic rustproofing. Eccles Auto Service - Complete Vehicle Service Centre in Dundas & Hamilton Area :: Do electronic rust protectors work?. I can only speak from my experience, but I have used Krown rustproofing annually on my last vehicle and it still looked new after 14 years of ownership. Not only does the product protect your under carriage, it also lubricates all your components(suspension,etc) and your exhaust system. I just replaced my car with a Ram EcoDiesel as I needed a larger vehicle and intend on having Krown applied annually. If you plan on keeping your vehicle for an extended period of time, rust proofing every year is money well spent. It saves you from having to do bodywork and keeps your vehicle looking new which results in a higher resale value.
Hope this info is of assistance in helping you make your decision.
How much does it cost to apply annually? How intricate is the application, do they get everything, or just the main undercarriage?

·
Registered
396 Posts
What about the oil attracting and holding dust and dirt? I don't know that's why I ask.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I pay about 120 bucks a year, money well spent imo, my 11 year old hemi I just got rid of had very very little rust and I see them driving around here all rotted out.... I use rust check. it does collect a little dust I suppose but minimal in my experience really but yes it does

·
Registered
3 Posts
My first post...yes I'm a lurker!! Lol. I do have an opinion on this topic though.

I had the electric on both of my 2006 GMs. Things kept on loosing the circuit, trouble light on the box was always on. Had to take them in a bunch...finally started to fix fix it myself (circuit was usually the problem). Changed the anode rods every spring. Both cars had rust within 5 years. Not perforated, so warranty did not cover it.

Now, the rocker panels on one car are non existent, the other one's is beginning to rust. The hood on one has rust, and the trunk lids on both rusting. The doors are also rusting at the bottom.

My old 2003 dodge on the other hand is 11 years old, and Krowned every year. Not a single rust spot at all. It is 3 years old than the other two, has many more miles and it in the best shape of them all.

I take car of all three of my vehicles the same

Electric is just a gimmick on cars. May work on boats, but cars...not so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is the material I just bought to coat the underside of my truck. Fluid Film Rust Protection

With previous vehicles, I have used both regular motor oil and linseed oil. I've found that the linseed had better protection qualities than the motor oil. It also tended to last longer by clinging to the material that it was spayed on. I'm trying this new (to me) material because I've read very good reviews about it. Besides, the linseed oil stinks like hell for weeks after the application.

·
Registered
550 Posts
From what I understand the Electric option is snakeoil.

I use Krown every year. Yes you may get some dust/dirt, but that is usually just in the first few days after it has been done. IMO would not look at any other product. It is about $100 per year. NOTE: If you have paint defects/surface rust, no product, including Krown will look after that.

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Heck with all that. Just reading your comments and noting your locations reminds me of why I moved to Florida from Pennsylvania.

You want a nice vehicle with no rust? Buy a Florida car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd move south in a second if I could! Hard to give up a pension for it though. Give me another 14 years - you'll have me visiting for at least six months! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Krown all the way. costs about the same a fill up (here in the land of ridiculous fuel prices anyway). messy for a couple of days but a great product. They dump more salt on the roads here than pavement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts