RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Salt is a vehicle killer, especially on their frames and chassis. I had a two year old Chevy Silverado that showed much rust on the frame. What do people think of professionally applied undercoatings or the do-it-yourself type, like Waxoyl?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, the undersides of these trucks are an artwork in themselves. People should checkout the labyrinth of exhaust pipework. Pretty impressive.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I had my truck rustproofed by Ziebart. I agree, the undersides are very impressive. Did you happen to notice the injector upstream of the DPF?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I noticed a canister that looks like another muffler, with numerous pipes going to it. Ahh....the good 'ol days of one muffler and call it good.

I had my truck rustproofed by Ziebart. I agree, the undersides are very impressive. Did you happen to notice the injector upstream of the DPF?

·
Registered
131 Posts
shaker,

Have you had the rustproofing from Ziebart done before on any other vehicles? How did they do on your truck...happy with it? I was looking at having this done on mine as well when it shows up for the salty MN mess when winter rolls around.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Even if you get it under coated the frame will have rust because the frame can't be sprayed. I had mine done at the dealer and questioned why the frame was not sprayed. They handed me a guideline for undercoating that dodge provides to dealers to follow. States right on it that spraying any rust inhibiting product on the frame will void warranty coverage on that component. There was a long list of what can't be sprayed. I have 6 family and friends with rams that were sprayed at the dealer and they all look the same as mine. Basically what I am saying is make sure you get this guideline and give it to the company spraying your truck. Some places just spray everything under the truck. I had one company spray all my suspension parts once. If they do that on a ram, all those parts just lost warranty coverage.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'd like to see that guideline.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'd like to see that guideline.
Me too.......

I was thinking about Wax oyl but there are no application centers near me and I've never applied anything like it myself.
Seeing all the rust on the frame/suspension of my previous truck after only 3 winters made me sick.

Reactions: sparks

·
Registered
132 Posts
I always use Krown not sure if that is available in the states but I swear by it. want to double check the warranty stuff though before I use it on the new truck

·
Registered
273 Posts
I always use Krown not sure if that is available in the states but I swear by it. want to double check the warranty stuff though before I use it on the new truck
The Krown spray process is appealing to me as well, but is only available (at least under the Krown brand) in Canada. Do you know if their process voids any Ram warranties in Canada ?

·
Registered
132 Posts
this thread has me wondering, never had a problem at the dealership and this is the first I have ever heard of it being an issue, my new truck is not here yet but I will be asking the dealership when I pick it up

·
Registered
556 Posts
Krown is available in the US - just maybe not in your area (list below if their US locations, off their website).

United States:

Missouri:
St. Louis, Missouri
New York:
Depew, New York
Gloversville, New York
Hamburg, New York
Jamestown, New York
Lake Placid, New York
New York Mills, New York
Plattsburgh, New York
Ransomville, New York
Rochester, New York
Sanborn, New York
Stanley, New York
Ohio:
Salem, Ohio
Versailles, Ohio
Pennsylvania:
Erie, Pennsylvania
West Middlesex, Pennsylvania

Since you have a diesel - you can go on a road trip...lol.

I use Krown on all my vehicles - IMO best product out there. Of course I am a little biased - My Brother In-law has a Krown Franchise. I will ask him (if I remember) this weekend. I know they go through a pretty intensive review of all vehicles when they are released - i.e where the best spots are to spray etc. They really try to minimize overspray, while giving the Vehicle the best protection possible. Remember my Nephew was telling me about training he had to take, before he was allowed to spay a certain model, etc.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Had one of my vehicles rustproofed by Irwin Rustproofing. They made it rust. Seems the product trapped salt wash in pockets in the product and also plugged up drain holes in the doors. Disaster.

Ziebart was expensive but probably is still a standard for quality.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Krown is available in the US - just maybe not in your area (list below if their US locations, off their website).

I use Krown on all my vehicles - IMO best product out there. Of course I am a little biased - My Brother In-law has a Krown Franchise. I will ask him (if I remember) this weekend. I know they go through a pretty intensive review of all vehicles when they are released - i.e where the best spots are to spray etc. They really try to minimize overspray, while giving the Vehicle the best protection possible. Remember my Nephew was telling me about training he had to take, before he was allowed to spay a certain model, etc.
How does this stuff hold up on exposed undercarriage components like frame, axle and suspension components?
I've been looking at getting some sort of treatment for my truck once it arrives.
There's an Ohio location that's only 2.5 hrs from me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was looking into the Ziebart option.... haven't received pricing yet, but guessing it won't be cheap.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I was looking into the Ziebart option.... haven't received pricing yet, but guessing it won't be cheap.
I went to ziebart to get my windows tinted on my car maybe 5 years ago and was treated like shit. Horrible customer service, I vowed to never go back, but if I can't find a better rust proofing option in MN I may have to. What's Z's rustproofing process/ product?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
A co-worker has had three of his cars done at the Bloomington location and was happy with it. That is where I was planning on stopping one of these days and get some more information since it is close to work.

·
Registered
556 Posts
How does this stuff hold up on exposed undercarriage components like frame, axle and suspension components?
I've been looking at getting some sort of treatment for my truck once it arrives.
There's an Ohio location that's only 2.5 hrs from me.
It is a once a year application. In terms of the undercarriage, etc. I would recommend you talk to the dealer you mentioned - Since they apply it, they can advise better on what you can expect.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts