RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DEF Delete, EGR Stage 2 Delete, Tuned, Timbren bump stops, Straight Piped, B
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for feedback on everyones opinion on the situation I'm in. Bought the truck as 2nd owner and was already tuned. I believe engine and transmission. Have reached out to the main tuners as well as some local ones to me and no one has any records.

Being that it's tuned now I'm in a difficult spot to get it retuned as I don't beliebe the current tune is as good as it could be. I have no turbo brake for one which I would like for all towing I do.

So far it's looking like It will be an expensive endeavor to get the computers flashed to stock so anyone can begin to touch the tuning. What's my most cost effective option?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,500 Posts
Being your in Canada, probably your best bet is to contact HD Diesel and explain the situation. It should be possible to flash the ECM

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DEF Delete, EGR Stage 2 Delete, Tuned, Timbren bump stops, Straight Piped, B
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did and they recommended I visit a dealer and have them flash both. I'm sure they will charge me for this plus the closest dealer is a good 30min drive on the highway. If I go limp mode I might not make it.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
did you contact GDE , it is business as usual with us Canadian owners ,
you can still get their great tune from before the EPA crackdown from them ,
no need to get the EPA compliant tune when in Canada .
did you try to set your cruise control at 15 MPG ( 25 KPH ) ,
some of the other tunes don't all do that .

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did you contact GDE , it is business as usual with us Canadian owners ,
you can still get their great tune from before the EPA crackdown from them ,
no need to get the EPA compliant tune when in Canada .
did you try to set your cruise control at 15 MPG ( 25 KPH ) ,
some of the other tunes don't all do that .

I may have to try them, however I have a feeling the response is going to be similar. Just tried and cruise only works at 40km/h or greater. Pretty sure the truck has been tuned for a couple years though. When I bought it the DEF was removed and the pipe installed didn't look shiny and new at all.

·
Registered
794 Posts
If you get the GDE Hot Tune, you'll be a happy camper. I got it at 5,000 miles, now at 90,000 miles. Got the DEF delete and display of regen messaging, wish I'd gotten exhaust brake feature, but love the way it drives and mpg's.

·
Registered
964 Posts
IMO your best and cheapest solution is to have the dealer flash the ECU and TCU to your Vin #. That way you will have current stock tuning. Then you will have a good running truck and time to decide what tuning, if any. If you don't have the dealer do it the tuner will have to get it done before they can assign their tune, and probably charge more than the dealer.
If I remember correctly, GDE used to charge $150.00 just for the ECU flash to Vin #.

Edit:
My dealer charged me $60.00 to flash a spare ECU to my truck's VIN #

·
Registered
218 Posts
I may have to try them, however I have a feeling the response is going to be similar. Just tried and cruise only works at 40km/h or greater. Pretty sure the truck has been tuned for a couple years though. When I bought it the DEF was removed and the pipe installed didn't look shiny and new at all.
Can't get to GDE Canda's website from work, but GDE used to be able to setup an ECM when they were bench flashing. If GDE Canada can't do that, then it sounds like your best bet is to get a salvage ECM and get it programmed to your truck. Then you can use the new one to get whatever tune you want. Realistically, there's not a whole bunch of software versions for the 2014-2015 model years like there is with the later models. Someone should be able to get you setup fairly easily.

Getting the dealer to re-flash the transmission is going to be your best bet and shouldn't cause any issues. Only other possibility I can think of is HP Tuners, but you'll be out 400 just for the device and credits. Then you still have to find an appropriate software version from someone.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Rusty , you can " private message " GDE ,
go to post # 11 in here :
click on GDE's Avatar and click " start conversation " , it will be more private ....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spoke to GDE today and they as well want me to get a dealer to reflash both engine and tranny computers then get the tuning done. Looks like only have one option.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Spoke to GDE today and they as well want me to get a dealer to reflash both engine and tranny computers then get the tuning done. Looks like only have one option.
that confirms they don't do ECM swaps anymore , even for us Canucks ....
the " hand held tuner " method is for everyone now I guess......

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it looks like I'll be waiting then as regardless of who I go to it's going be 2K to get retuned. Guess I know what I want for Christmas :)

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
keep your eye open , some " pre-EPA crackdown " tuned GDE ECM come up for sale on the site ,
mostly around $500 to $800 US , the AlfaOBD app is $50 US , a good Dongle to use with Alfa around $75 US,
then using Alfa OBD app ,you can flash your Vin nujber and injector codes to that ECM ,
already down from $2000 to $1000 ,
and then you have a tuned ECM , and a atock ECM for dealer visits ,
that is if you can live without the transmission tune ...
-------------------
or
since you think you already have a tuned ECM , it is even cheaper to
program a stock ECM to match your truck , just make sure you get a 2014 or 2015 ,
because the software in the stock ECM from 2016 or newer expect data sent by the
DEF quality sensor inside the DEF tank , and our 2015s don't have that sensor in the DEF
tank . those come up for sale around $300 US.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The concern I have is something tells me the transmission has been tuned as well, unfortunately not for the better. So I would prefer to get the best tune available for both so I never have to worry about it. Since the DEF and EGR are now gone it would be the last big item on my list of to-do's to make sure I have a reliable EcoD for many years to come.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
EGR and DEF gone , OK , limits your choices for sure....
tricky since tuners now want to start with latest stock tune , and with no EGR and DEF ,
that is not going to be possible .

A GDE tune purchased after june 2016 is compatible with no EGR on the truck ,
previous versions were only compatible with stage 1 EGR delete .

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Might have to get a new computer? Would I need to get new engine and transmission computer?

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
( EDITED : reply was too short and not precise ):eek:
only a " removeable" engine module ( ECM ).
module of the transmission only accessible thru OBDII , ( inside transmission ) ,

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you wanted the expense of tuning and deleting a truck, why did you buy one that was monkeyed with?
You say you think it could be a better tune but isn't it better than stock?
Or perhaps you didn't know it had been deleted.
If I were you I'd drive it.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you wanted the expense of tuning and deleting a truck, why did you buy one that was monkeyed with?
You say you think it could be a better tune but isn't it better than stock?
Or perhaps you didn't know it had been deleted.
If I were you I'd drive it.....
Unfortunately i don't have a choice but to drive it the way it is for now. There's many reasons I want it tuned elsewhere but the biggest reason for me is it currently has no turbo brake. I tow quite frequently even during the snowy winter and having that would be extremely valuable, among others like knowing who tuned it, high idle, etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts