RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to disable the EGR on my 2016 any thoughts on which would work out best unplugging the EGR wiring or disconnect and plug the EGR vacum line ? Pro's or Con's anybody ?
Thanks for any thoughts

·
Administrator
9,907 Posts
I don't think either method will actually disable the EGR. Wait for the experts to chime in for a better explanation.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any experts out there that know the EGR system ? I want to shut down the exhaust feeding into my intake before I end up with an expensive repair bill. The 2020 model takes the EGR gas after it goes through the DPF so it has been filtered sounds like a lot better system.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found a little info now, turns out the vacuum line does not control the EGR valve it is part of the system but does not control the EGR valve. Looks like unplugging the electrical harness is the only way to shut off the EGR valve I assume the valve would close and stay closed.

·
Administrator
9,907 Posts
I do remember the vacuum line only controls the bypass. Some have unplugged the electrical harness and cleared the CEL codes from time to time. I do recall there was more to it but can't remember the details.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is supposed to increase DEF consumption, kind of a small price to pay for peace of mind. I had the old Canadian version GDE tune in my 2014, I say Canadian because the requirements are not quite as demanding as U.S. With the older GDE version I could hit 36.5 MPG( Imperial Gallons ) On straight flat freeway. My DEF lasted from oil change to oil change, the EGR valve never moved closed 100% of the time. Unfortunately the truck and ECU were destroyed and the newer GDE versions don't shut off the EGR valve entirely.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great tune but I just went through a wreck, car rental,new tires, the insurance even kneed me in the N#ts they charged me $130.00 fee to cancel my insurance, total bloodsucking by everybody and anybody. No tune for me but I will be happy to shut down the EGR.

·
Registered
122 Posts
So I've posted this a few times before, but all you have to do is make sure your truck has been turned off and then unplug the electrical connector to your egr.

This will shut it off. You will get a soft cel that will prevent you from remote starting your vehicle. The cel can be erased but will continue to appear every 2nd or 3rd time you start your vehicle. I just leave mine on.

You def consumption will increase as a result. But your oil stays clean until around 5k miles and you dont have all that crap going into your intake.

Did mine at around 30k miles. I now have 155k miles with no adverse effects, that I know of. Pulled the egr diffuser tube at around 80k and was clean with no soot. So for me it has worked. I also have a 2016.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I've posted this a few times before, but all you have to do is make sure your truck has been turned off and then unplug the electrical connector to your egr.

This will shut it off. You will get a soft cel that will prevent you from remote starting your vehicle. The cel can be erased but will continue to appear every 2nd or 3rd time you start your vehicle. I just leave mine on.

You def consumption will increase as a result. But your oil stays clean until around 5k miles and you dont have all that crap going into your intake.

Did mine at around 30k miles. I now have 155k miles with no adverse effects, that I know of. Pulled the egr diffuser tube at around 80k and was clean with no soot. So for me it has worked. I also have a 2016.

Hope this helps.
Is it possible to get a picture of where this plug is? I like your idea and can live without remote start

1 - 11 of 11 Posts