RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sometimes miss the Ecodiesel. I did have 5 1/2 years of mostly good experiences with my Ecodiesel. Sure there was drama with codes, programming, adding suspension features for towing, thoughts on reliability, having a small 1500 truck my wife labeled as "flimsy", overheating issues and towing limitations. Then there was that constant great fuel mileage, no DEF after tuning and the ease of servicing oil and filters. It was easy to climb in and out and offered better visibility for parking and general urban operation.

Now this 2500 Cummins is different. Big and tough characterize it's operation. No need to fiddle with suspension changes. The immediate observation of a beefy frame, suspension, body and motor dominate your impressions. This truck has no relationship to "flimsy". The same can be said for resale and drama. From the beginning to today you build up a confidence that was absent with the Ecodiesel. This thing is a real "truck" you can run solo, haul, tow and expect to do any job you ask. The ride is dramatically more stable solo. Actually think it is better than the 1500 because of size and weight. It fair ignores road irregularities and wind issues from the weather or passing traffic. The thing just runs on the highway with a form of regal aplomb unlike the 1500.

Now I have never been back to the dealer for any warranty adjustment. Sure there are two recalls and no parts available for me yet. Little matter as the major issue is two holes in a separator plate of the transmission the same size compared to a revised one with one hole larger. No issues for me so feel an urgency to push for the parts to show and to get it done. That is quite unlike issues present and past with the Ecodiesel. Newest models don't even have this issue.

Parking in urban environments is a bit more challenging. Most of my life I have avoided urban areas as a plague on life. The truck is a truck - big, high and longer. Visibility can take a bit of familiarity in lots and close quarters, like garages and near other vehicles. For the timid it might be an issue. I am not timid and have decades of larger pickup experience. Cannot speak for you.

Many on this forum literally cringe and worry about resale. Heh? These HD Rams with Cummins put an immediate stop to that. The resale is both high and desirable. Not an issue to me at all but the reliability and longevity is. Again, that seems to be stellar. Same can be said for places to service and repair. This is an American Cummins engine you know. There are untold numbers of people around who have experience with these things.

OK. Here it comes. You love your Ecodiesel for its' fuel economy. So did I . The Cummins manual tells you there IS a break-in period for this motor. It suggests you must tow or operate with some kind of load at some point and wait for 5,000 or more miles to notice the engine breaking in. It took about that for my oil to darken from the EGR operation. Then it started and used a full quart of oil. Now that is apparently stopped or slowing down after my recent towing experiences. The fuel mileage towing my toy hauler is near the same as with my Ecodiesel. Only difference is my towing speeds are now higher, the experience is far more pleasant with the larger truck and there are no - like in NO temperature issues towing. So we go back to the basic solo operation and fuel mileage.

Wife asked that I take her shopping early this morning. I was directed to sit in the truck and wait, not going into the store and contaminating myself. More parking, idling and fussing in an urban environment again. Hate that stuff. On the way back I noticed something on the EVIC. Parked after more idling, loading and unloading. Guess there is something to this Cummins break-in period. Look....

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
All good stuff cap. My take, and now almost 13k miles, 90% towing, is it does that perfectly. But, when I got back in the 300 with its hemi, the refined quiet smooth shifting experience is well, refreshing. I say a really nice combo, and I just may start looking at another 300. This one is 8 years old. Only 90k miles and perfect. I hear they may discontinue it soon. Last of the big sedans.

·
Registered
725 Posts
You've got no miles on it yet. Drive it hard and in another 10K miles you'll probably see it loosen up and deliver MPG's. I have yet to own a new truck, gas or diesel that didn't change materially between 20K miles and 40K miles and start to work like it was happy to be on the road.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You've got no miles on it yet. Drive it hard and in another 10K miles you'll probably see it loosen up and deliver MPG's. I have yet to own a new truck, gas or diesel that didn't change materially between 20K miles and 40K miles and start to work like it was happy to be on the road.
...and here I am thinking 20+ mpg is spectacular for such a big truck. You want more?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Nice review!! there was some getting used to for us as well when we transitioned to the 3500 from our 1500. Overall I think it was still a good move. We are used to parking at the end of the lot, where all the other trucks park. We are used to trailering so the turning radius was never an issue, hell my wife can maneuver a goose neck 5 horse like she was born doing it. We love the open highway cruising ability of the 3500. It rarely ever needs to down shift, it maintains its composure better in heavy wind buffeting and it just effortlessly plugs along like nothing ever really mattered. I bought it with the fancy display between the gauges, thinking I would need to monitor all the parameters while towing... what a waste. She just tows.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That wind buffeting issue is quite a revelation. First pull I did with my toy hauler reminded me of my old 2500 Cummins. Never gave towing a thought with it. Five and-a-half years of towing the same toy hauler with the Ecodiesel was near always a form of "white knuckle" operation. The bouncing, moving, slow-downs, speed-ups to get a run on the next grade, temperature issues and watching things were a given with the 1500.

My tow experience was much like the old 2500 Cummins I had before. What trailer?

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
While I do not tow our TT the majority of the time towing, it does everything else very calmly and controlled with no drama. It has no where near the get up and go the cummins does and when its loaded I feel like you can cut the ecodiesels get up and go in half and multiply the cummins by 2.

Love the truck, it just doesn't fit my needs.

If anyone is thinking of making the jump from the ecodiesel now is probably a good time I think auto dealers are HURTING. I saw a new 2019 GM 3500 SRW 4x4 crew cab Duramax with a sticker of 44k this weekend.

·
Registered
849 Posts
...and here I am thinking 20+ mpg is spectacular for such a big truck. You want more?
Me too! If my ordered HO Cummins gets that I'll be a really happy camper

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While I do not tow our TT the majority of the time towing, it does everything else very calmly and controlled with no drama. It has no where near the get up and go the cummins does and when its loaded I feel like you can cut the ecodiesels get up and go in half and multiply the cummins by 2.

Love the truck, it just doesn't fit my needs.

If anyone is thinking of making the jump from the ecodiesel now is probably a good time I think auto dealers are HURTING. I saw a new 2019 GM 3500 SRW 4x4 crew cab Duramax with a sticker of 44k this weekend.
Good price on the new Duramax. They have good reviews for the engine now. That's even better as a 4 x 4.

Pulled my little trailer with a motorcycle 120 miles this morning. Wife enjoyed the ride and being out of the house. Crossing the Sunshine Skyway Bridge is one of the treats found on American roads. Passed lots of car dealerships the last 10 miles going out and first 10 coming back. They did look quiet as were all the roads we ran.

Most often running 70 mpg or stuck in urban lights, my EVIC now reads 21.5mpg at return. Not too bad as I see it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sometimes miss the Ecodiesel. I did have 5 1/2 years of mostly good experiences with my Ecodiesel. Sure there was drama with codes, programming, adding suspension features for towing, thoughts on reliability, having a small 1500 truck my wife labeled as "flimsy", overheating issues and towing limitations. Then there was that constant great fuel mileage, no DEF after tuning and the ease of servicing oil and filters. It was easy to climb in and out and offered better visibility for parking and general urban operation.
My sentiments pretty well match yours. My ED engine with south back in October/November of 2018 after a run around from Ram as to when an engine would be available and how long I would be without my truck I found a great dealer who took my broken down ED and gave me full trade value towards a new 2500 Cummins. Knock on wood so far the only reason it has been to the dealer was for a few recalls. The only thing I miss about the ED is the mpg as you mentioned but after over a year my Cummins averages in the high teens this includes frequent towing an enclosed trailer for work. Non towing MPG is low 20's. I honestly didn't realize how much I worried about my ED having issues until I no longer had it. Anytime we took a trip in the ED it was always in the back of my mind as to whether or not it was going to leave us stranded. I lucked out and when it did leave us stranded along side the road we were about about 10 miles from home.

Anyway no regrets after over a year and 25k miles since moving to the 2500 Cummins.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'd get about 14-15 with that truck in my environment. Just too cold too much of the time. Summers would be nice.

Too bad. I just had to get an ED and now I'm stuck with ED. Yes. Pun was intended.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
... Non towing MPG is low 20's. I honestly didn't realize how much I worried about my ED having issues until I no longer had it. Anytime we took a trip in the ED it was always in the back of my mind as to whether or not it was going to leave us stranded. I lucked out and when it did leave us stranded along side the road we were about about 10 miles from home.

Anyway no regrets after over a year and 25k miles since moving to the 2500 Cummins.
It is difficult to try and live in your fears. There are no guarantees that any vehicle will not leave you stranded. I will not denigrate my Ecodiesel as it never left me stranded and mostly left me smiling. Unfortunately we did and do read of those with a dissimilar experience. It takes a special person to really put that knowledge out of mind.

Today I am a bit more eager to use my new truck than before. Guessing that is natural. Only thing now is I rarely use it at all with this virus lockdown. We rode motorcycle again in clean air as it is a bit more fun than any "cage", no matter how good the "cage" might be.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd get about 14-15 with that truck in my environment. Just too cold too much of the time. Summers would be nice.

Too bad. I just had to get an ED and now I'm stuck with ED. Yes. Pun was intended.
Nothing wrong with being stuck like that if it works. I would have far more zeros in my bank account had I just kept on. That is one thing I sometimes regret.

As for that 14-15 mpg, only one way to find out.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm enjoying my fully deleted ED, but reading your thread and seeing the comments from here and other locations about not having to stress if the truck will leave me stranded or not sure is making me thing about going to a 2500... I tow about 10k-15k miles a year, and so far my ED has done well. I think mine feels a little more solid as I have 35" tires that have a 3600lb payload each, compared to the 2300lb payload on the stockers. I think it makes my truck feel a little more stable when towing. And being deleted with the trans tune provides a little more power and response for my ED. But nothing like a 2500 and I'm always worrying about throwing a bearing or reluctor wheel...

I had my eyes set on a 2020 ED, but wanted to see how they do reliability wise compared to Gen 2's. So far they seem to be holding up but its too early to tell. If people are seeing low 20's for MPG without towing in their 2500's, I may go that route instead...

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's what many of us are seeing if you drive in a reasonable manner. Friend with a new 2018 does a little bit better than me. I think it is because of his higher (were numerically) rear end ration.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wonder if we will ever be allowed to drive any more?

Total shut down of non-essential movement here starts tonight. My truck has been sitting for days in the garage. Ordered oils on the internet today for both the truck and some motorccyles. I plan on sneaking out to another county next week that bordered to my county just a 1/4 mile away. No shut-down there. Just do not know where I might need to go. Missed turkey hunting in Georgia and Florida already. No shooting trips and no visiting my boat at the marina.

Hoping the next 10K can be done in 2020. Will see.

·
Registered
585 Posts

Total shut down of non-essential movement here starts tonight. My truck has been sitting for days in the garage. Ordered oils on the internet today for both the truck and some motorccyles. I plan on sneaking out to another county next week that bordered to my county just a 1/4 mile away. No shut-down there. Just do not know where I might need to go. Missed turkey hunting in Georgia and Florida already. No shooting trips and no visiting my boat at the marina.

Hoping the next 10K can be done in 2020. Will see.

Wow, total shutdown of non essential travel? That sucks.
Up here in Michigan they are encouraging us to travel to do outdoor activities, like hunt fish hike... as long as we keep out distance.

·
Registered
150 Posts
We've been "shelter in place" for a week now in IL, and I was ordered to work from home a few days before that. Got silver out for an hour trip yesterday and realized it was the first time in 11 days! It hasn't sat that long ever in the 5+ years i've had it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
We're getting close to a shelter in place order. One of the nearby counties just did that and ours and another one yesterday said they were really close. We've been social distancing for 2 weeks now, and kids have been doing school from home for the same amount of time. Its been nuts. Hoping this passes soon. Maybe I'll go test drive a 2500 when it does. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts