RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any update on GDE? I kid you not, I got the check in the mail and was online that night to buy the transmission and engine tune>>> "Sold Out" and then the discovery of the EPA visiting them etc.

Would still love to get this tune in my truck, that is after the EGR has been solved and a potential update to the lag I have been experiencing since the original AEM update.

If not GDE, anyone else recommended with the "plug and play" that GDE conveniently offered?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Check out the classified section. GDE tuned ECUs show up from time to time. HD Diesel in Canada supplies ED tunes as well as Sofa King Tuned which is located in Nevada.

Suggest you keep a spare factory tuned ECU for service visits.

·
Registered
790 Posts
SFT 's latest

·
Registered
36 Posts
Interesting little tidbit below from GDE on another site. Hopefully goes as planned and they are back in business soon.

The ecodiesel community will be shocked when our EPA/CARB certified tunes are released in the next 3-4 months. The factory did such a poor job.

·
Registered
680 Posts
The ecodiesel community will be shocked when our EPA/CARB certified tunes are released in the next 3-4 months. The factory did such a poor job.
Is this verifiable as being from GDE? Or is it a third person anecdote?

I ask because EPA/CARB certified tunes will not likely be a reason for FCA to void warranty .... and then I might be interested.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Straight from GDE just on another forum
That's good news. Maybe this EPA crackdown will have beneficial results for everyone. If GDE can produce a tune that improves performance and is approved by EPA/CARB, then those of us who don't sport "I'm a badass" tattoos, don't wear our hats backwards and don't spend our days taking our spotlessly clean, lifted, tuned and deleted smoke rollers thru' yet another car wash can install it without worrying about warranty voiding and we can get the benefit of improved fuel economy :)

(check the smiley before pulling back the hammer)

·
Registered
98 Posts
So say your "stock tune" was a GDE hot tune. Would you be able to save it and upload it at a later date on that unit as well? How many tunes will it hold?
No, this won't work. The actual flash memory cannot be read via the OBD. What the handheld tuners are doing is performing a "virtual read" that just gets the software version. The tuner then pulls a "ori" file from the Alientech database (the makers of the handheld) that matches your software version and then makes modifications to the "ori" file. If you were to tune via handheld and then re-flash to "stock", this would write the "ori" file that was pulled from the database to your ECU.

Your actual GDE tune would never be uploaded to the tool and once you flash anything via the handheld your GDE tune would be gone forever.

I have the MRTuning handheld. The device is the same as the one SFT is using. It can hold 6 custom tunes, plus the ori file.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I ask because EPA/CARB certified tunes will not likely be a reason for FCA to void warranty
can install it without worrying about warranty voiding
Doesn't Canuckistan have something like the Magnusson-Moss Act? Basically says that if something breaks and the dealership doesn't want to warranty it because of a modification they have to prove that the modification is what caused the failure.

·
Registered
853 Posts
There seems to be an escape clause but maybe it's in invisible ink that says something to the effect "any modification to federally mandated equipment voids all factory warranties". If it's not part of the MM Act, then it is at least how many/all manufactures are currently operating. With what I've seen on here and on the VW diesel forums, fastest way to warranty denial is to have removed or altered any part of the emissions systems.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Doesn't Canuckistan have something like the Magnusson-Moss Act? Basically says that if something breaks and the dealership doesn't want to warranty it because of a modification they have to prove that the modification is what caused the failure.
As far as I know, yes. The old standby was oil and filter changes, and there is plenty of case law that supports homeowners doing their own maintenance.

However ..

The warranty provider doesn't have to "disprove" quality of repair as much as the warranty consumer has to "prove" quality, and my pockets aren't deep enough to hire more or better lawyers than FCA keeps on speed dial .....

·
Registered
821 Posts
Is this verifiable as being from GDE? Or is it a third person anecdote?

I ask because EPA/CARB certified tunes will not likely be a reason for FCA to void warranty .... and then I might be interested.
If you modify the software that modifies the operation of the engine, you are risking voided warranty. Any belief to the contrary is just willfull ignorance.

·
Registered
236 Posts
^^^ That flash tool could do a full read, but it takes a while and Alientech would have to change their protocol to perform a complete read instead of the virtual read.
@GDE Glad to see you still on the forums. Any update on the progress of the tunes?

·
Vendor
1,147 Posts
@GDE Glad to see you still on the forums. Any update on the progress of the tunes?
We hope to have CARB/EPA certified engine and trans tunes within 3 months. We are technically mostly done with the development, but need paperwork from CARB to proceed with the emission lab testing. That is the very expensive part. The trans tune will certify without needing any changes. The engine tune has been modified a bit, but most features are unchanged, drive ability and fuel economy improvements are still intact. It will still solve all the issues with factory calibration.

·
Registered
680 Posts
If you modify the software that modifies the operation of the engine, you are risking voided warranty. Any belief to the contrary is just willfull ignorance.
I have no beliefs. I work on evidence and before I actually go ahead with new ventures I tend to have my research done and my evidence in place. However ... speculating about it is just one way of keeping the blinders off and the door open to further possibilities. An EPA/CARB approved tune "might" be perceived as being similar to any other aftermarket part that wouldn't void warranty, such as filters, lubricants, wheel bearings, tires etc.

·
Registered
641 Posts

While a tune is definitely a modification that can risk voiding a warranty, it really depends on ones relationship with the dealer and how much money you have spent there. Dealers that have regular customers that are tuned will turn a blind eye to a tune while some dealers will look for anything to squirm out of warranty in the hope's of making real money inflated repairs from a one time customer. It's very subjective.

Edit: IMO....A GDE tune is a must for the reliability and longevity of these trucks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We hope to have CARB/EPA certified engine and trans tunes within 3 months. We are technically mostly done with the development, but need paperwork from CARB to proceed with the emission lab testing. That is the very expensive part. The trans tune will certify without needing any changes. The engine tune has been modified a bit, but most features are unchanged, drive ability and fuel economy improvements are still intact. It will still solve all the issues with factory calibration.
@GDE will previous hot tune customers have access to the new carb certified tune if they wanted to go that route?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts