RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a 15 with the GDE tune on it since 29k miles on the odometer. I keep getting the notices but have not done anything yet. With the truck running so well, I was nervous to disrupt any part of it at 123k now.

Does anyone know if this scenario would work?

1. buy new ecm and let them do their work to the truck
2. collect check
3 remove ecm and replace with my GDE ecm.

or am I missing something?
There are plenty of folks on here more knowledgeable than I but I think that is a sound plan. Though there will be some hurdles to overcome I think regarding getting the new ecm programmed with your vin.

·
Administrator
8,468 Posts
I have a 15 with the GDE tune on it since 29k miles on the odometer. I keep getting the notices but have not done anything yet. With the truck running so well, I was nervous to disrupt any part of it at 123k now.

Does anyone know if this scenario would work?

1. buy new ecm and let them do their work to the truck
2. collect check
3 remove ecm and replace with my GDE ecm.

or am I missing something?
That's a good plan but you must get your new ECM programmed to your truck before the AEM. update

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have to give a BIG SHOUT OUT to Keith (gtsav2006) for hooking me up with a clone of my ECM. He was REASONABLE (less than getting the hardware yourself), FAST (within 24 hours), and THOROUGH (kept me updated and let me know everything he found). If you want a clone and don't want to bother with the hassle of getting everything and doing it yourself, I'd recommend getting ahold of him.
That's a good plan but you must get your new ECM programmed to your truck before the AEM. update
I guess I'll keep posting this until the word gets out about getting a clone.

I have no affiliation with him, and only met him here when I was looking to get my stock ECM cloned.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong. All this discussion is related to a tune for the older Ecodiesel's - Gen 2 ones. That is a finite number as they no longer make them. Guessing there is still a decent market for owners but soon most will be reaching the end of their useful operation and the market for this tune will dry.

What about the new 2020 and future Ecodiesels? That is the future, an expanding market and demand.
I believe that there are a lot of guys out there that don't want to risk their warranty, so they were holding off, especially with the additional post AEM update and are waiting to tune after warranty expire (which may be to late in some cases). Especially since they risk loosing the tune if they ever bring it to a shop, and it's re-flashed without their permission as i don't think many people bought a second ECM to be tuned (since the tune is not a simple hand held programmer) . Maybe GDE will come out with a "Special" for those who had a tune earlier and lost it, he has a record. At $700 a pop there is still a bit of money on the table for 14-19' Eco's out there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
In my opinion, it's excessive pilot injection used to smooth and quiet the engine. GDE reduces this greatly, thus reducing soot and increasing the diesel sound.
That was my guess as well that it was a business decision made to quiet the engine as much as possible, just wondering if GDE has the same assumption

·
Registered
98 Posts
For me, I can tell the difference in engine noise when the truck goes into regen. GDE kinda gets quieter/smoother when the regen is occurring. The last time I put my stock ECM in to take the truck in for service, my first thought was "it sounds like it is doing a regen." With the stock tune its a lot more difficult to tell a difference in engine noise when the regen starts.

I assume GDE didn't tinker with the injection cycles under regen conditions.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I believe that there are a lot of guys out there that don't want to risk their warranty, so they were holding off, especially with the additional post AEM update and are waiting to tune after warranty expire (which may be to late in some cases). Especially since they risk loosing the tune if they ever bring it to a shop, and it's re-flashed without their permission as i don't think many people bought a second ECM to be tuned (since the tune is not a simple hand held programmer) . Maybe GDE will come out with a "Special" for those who had a tune earlier and lost it, he has a record. At $700 a pop there is still a bit of money on the table for 14-19' Eco's out there.
The Gen2's still sold in the Classic......No?

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
You could hear the engine with either tune on the highway?
I never realized that I could hear it when stock at highway speeds until I got the GDE and noticed how quiet the truck now was at highway speeds. It's one of those things that you don't even realize until something new happens.

·
Registered
12,963 Posts
The Gen2's still sold in the Classic......No?
YES!

Do not think they still make the Gen 2's anymore but some were made in a 2019 model. Not many mind you. The last main run was done in 2018 models. Then it is only my guess that they had some motors and other attendant parts left over, decided to assemble and sell some. A few are still available unsold yet, from what I read.

All the 2020's are the new model and the Gen3 motor - far as I have ever read or heard of.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don’t disagree.... But what about the new GDE tune in combination with a Bulletproof Diesel EGR cooler? I’d like to hear some opinions on that.
When I received the FCA EGR cooler recall I called my dealership to ask not about anything GDE but asked if I purchased the Bulletproof EGR cooler (assuming the factory part is the issue for the "no fix available" just keep an eye on your coolant nonsense) would they install it on my truck then I could deal with FCA regarding reimbursement? They said no. My argument was my truck is my daily driver and I am not comfortable having to chance it burning to the ground while I wait from them (FCA) to supply the part when an aftermarket part is already available. Still, the better made cheaper alternative for both me and FCA, garnered another no. I asked why, answer was, it would void the warranty of the truck. So a better made aftermarket alternative part that does not have any negative effects on the performance of the truck with respects to EPA requirements makes no difference. Such parochial nonsense gives the manufacture leverage to force the buyers of their products to use their more expensive OEM parts to maintain the factory warranty when suitable alternatives that meet or exceed FCA standards are Taboo. I really like my 2016 Limited EcoDiesel. Its current has about 57k+ miles of trouble free operation. It has been GDE tuned since 1500 miles but twice retuned due to the recent AEM and the oil viscosity algorithm change bulletin a couple years ago. Both times the good folks at GDE hooked me up and now that is no longer an option because I erroneously and foolishly didn't keep my factory ECU. Anyone have any ideas where I can find a factory ECU and how do I get it to work on my truck to use as a going to the dealer ECU for their required maintenance because I strongly feel that my GDE tune is the reason my truck performs so well and if I have to give that up I'll just trade this truck in after the dealer returns it to it's former sluggish, fuel stingy, unimpressive average performance truck that the factory tune offers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just installed my newly acquired GDE tuned ECU. Bought it off a member and was extremely easy following the instructions posted here. I cleaned the diffuser tube and the MAP sensor while i was at it.
Truck has 40k miles just for reference for the pics

·
Registered
841 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
It is obvious you run your truck proper, looks pretty good from other pictures I've seen. The tune is awesome. Good luck!
I was thinking the same thing. I've seen far worse with fewer miles.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts