RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On NHTSA there is a post dated September 10, 2020, that says AEM owners will not receive a new reluctor wheel, only the flash for camshaft read.

Then on September 11, 2020, FCA's site New Safety Recall Advanced Communication W68 says "FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall to replace the tone wheel." " This recall is estimated to launch in 1st Quarter of 2021."

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCMN-20V475-1316.pdf

I have an appointment for October 7 to hopefully get the flash. I'll report.

·
Administrator
9,250 Posts
According to RamCares " W68 is only for people who opted out of V08 and the eco-diesel settlement as a whole."

Here's the thread:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
On NHTSA there is a post dated September 10, 2020, that says AEM owners will not receive a new reluctor wheel, only the flash for camshaft read.

Then on September 11, 2020, FCA's site New Safety Recall Advanced Communication W68 says "FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall to replace the tone wheel." " This recall is estimated to launch in 1st Quarter of 2021."

Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly but I would much rather have the reluctor wheel replaced than the flash......
or are you saying you already had the AEM?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already had the AEM, so according to the first link (Sept.10) I am eligible for the flash only. I intend to get that, so I'm not stranded somewhere while I wait for the reluctor to be replaced in 2021. The second link says nothing about the AEM, and just says that recall is estimated to launch in first quarter 2021. Based on that second link (Sept.11), I am then hoping to get the reluctor replaced. Maybe wishful thinking, but that's the plan.

·
Registered
174 Posts
No manufactor is going to spend more then they have to. They spend lots of time comming up with the cheapest repair.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I read that second .pdf as all 14-16 ecodiesels will have the tone wheel replaced. Also important to note the stop sale order put in place - I wonder how this will affect 14-16 owners looking to trade in...

Do we have members here with 17+ model years who experienced a tone ring failure?

·
Administrator
9,250 Posts
I took it as:

"FCA US LLC (FCA US) has announced a safety recall on certain 2014 through 2016 Model Year (DS) Ram 1500 Pickup and 2014 through 2016 Model Year (WK) Jeep® Grand Cherokee vehicles equipped with a 3.0L diesel engine."

Check your VIN for recalls. It's either there or it's not.

·
Registered
48 Posts

The flash for W58 is not available yet, you will get a letter in the mail once it is.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

·
Registered
524 Posts
So the recall says ...2014-2018 Ram 1500 pickup trucks manufactured between June 13, 2014, and March 7, 2018. So if the truck was made before 6/13/2014 did they use a different tone wheel ? Out of different material ?

·
Registered
524 Posts
The flash for W58 is not available yet, you will get a letter in the mail once it is.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
So the recall says ...2014-2018 Ram 1500 pickup trucks manufactured between June 13, 2014, and March 7, 2018. So if the truck was made before 6/13/2014 did they use a different tone wheel ? Out of different material ? And will the "Flash" make the failure appear "non existent" like it never happened or will a code appear and will the tone wheel still have to be replaced ? Please respond...

·
Registered
870 Posts
If you google what is involved with replacing this part, it's a lot of work (pull the transmission). I wonder what FCA will do if they have to do a lot of vehicles? It seems like a huge expense for a relatively inexpensive part. If they just do a reflash and eliminate the sensor that'd be easy and maybe if a few engines need to be replaced that'd be cheaper than pulling the transmission on a lot of vehicles. I'm sure some accountant is running the numbers! :).

Here's a youtube video I found:

·
Registered
628 Posts
If you google what is involved with replacing this part, it's a lot of work (pull the transmission). I wonder what FCA will do if they have to do a lot of vehicles? It seems like a huge expense for a relatively inexpensive part. If they just do a reflash and eliminate the sensor that'd be easy and maybe if a few engines need to be replaced that'd be cheaper than pulling the transmission on a lot of vehicles. I'm sure some accountant is running the numbers! :).

Here's a youtube video I found:
It sounds like they will physically be replacing very little rings as must trucks wont qualify for replacement.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The NHTSA announcement said the "Planned Notification Date" for W58 (the re-flash to include cam sensor) is Oct. 2, so I made an appointment for Oct. 7. Dealer said don't bother coming in. They don't have it and don't know when they'll get it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
The NHTSA announcement said the "Planned Notification Date" for W58 (the re-flash to include cam sensor) is Oct. 2, so I made an appointment for Oct. 7. Dealer said don't bother coming in. They don't have it and don't know when they'll get it.
Notification date is when they would start officially notifying people by mail of the recall, correct? I wouldn't expect a dealer to have have it available yet..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's my experience with a failed tone wheel on my 2015 Ecodiesel.

Accelerating onto the Interstate my truck dies.

Tow it to the dealer.

Dealer confirms with a borescope the tone wheel is damaged. They completed open recalls W58 and finally got the software to finish V08, but wouldn't do W68 b/c my VIN wasn't part of the recall.

I explained to my Service Writer, his boss, the Customer Service person at FCA and his boss that my vehicle failed in the exact way it's described in W68.. All four of these folks hid behind the list of VIN that they negotiated with NHTSA back in the summer of 2020, which doesn't cover all the trucks built in 14-16. Nobody would acknowledge the failure in my truck, only repeat the VIN safety net they negotiated for themselves. Finally FCA Customer Service Boss agreed to cover the parts (around $300), but stuck me with the 7 hours of labor to replace the tone wheel and another hour of "diagnostic" labor ($1280 in labor alone). When I asked her why W58, which is a fix for when W68 happens, is an active recall for my VIN if there's no danger of W68 actually happening to my vehicle. For that she had no answer, that's when she finally offered the parts. I should've taken the parts and done the parts swap myself, but I was so enraged at these circular conversations that I foolishly agreed to have the dealer do the repair. I also asked her directly if my participation in the Class Action Lawsuit had anything to do with my VIN not being on the list, she said absolutely not. I also asked her if the V08 (AEM) recall kicked me out of the W68 VIN list, she said no to that too. I mention that b/c I recall reading speculation about this from other folks on the forum and wanted to put this out there.

I tried to get someone to explain to me why there were faulty tone wheels sporadically installed on these engines for three years, but not all the engines had the faulty ones and how they knew which ones were faulty. I see from NHTSA documents that the faulty tone wheels were manufactured in France by Hutchinson so maybe other engines had wheels from a different factory or something, but nobody at FCA would even talk to me about how the determination process was done to get to these "affected" VIN.

The arrogance and self assuredness of these employees is the part I find most disgusting, I'd donate the $1280 to charity if I could get FCA to cover the labor to replace the faulty part. it's not even about the money for me anymore. My trucks got 230,000 miles so I don't expect everything to be a recall or warranty for the entire life of the truck, but they could've made hundreds of thousands in sales off of my family in future years, but instead they chose to cheat me out of $1280 in labor and satisfy themselves.

Bottom line: Not a pro operation.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since I had the privilege of starting this thread, I thought I'd mention that I have an appointment at 8am on Monday to have the W58 performed on our 2016 with 62,000 miles on it. It's been in the garage for about 5 months--still running, but not willing to drive it without either a W58 or a W68.
I'll report back.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Here's my experience with a failed tone wheel on my 2015 Ecodiesel.

Accelerating onto the Interstate my truck dies.

Tow it to the dealer.

Dealer confirms with a borescope the tone wheel is damaged. They completed open recalls W58 and finally got the software to finish V08, but wouldn't do W68 b/c my VIN wasn't part of the recall.

I explained to my Service Writer, his boss, the Customer Service person at FCA and his boss that my vehicle failed in the exact way it's described in W68.. All four of these folks hid behind the list of VIN that they negotiated with NHTSA back in the summer of 2020, which doesn't cover all the trucks built in 14-16. Nobody would acknowledge the failure in my truck, only repeat the VIN safety net they negotiated for themselves. Finally FCA Customer Service Boss agreed to cover the parts (around $300), but stuck me with the 7 hours of labor to replace the tone wheel and another hour of "diagnostic" labor ($1280 in labor alone). When I asked her why W58, which is a fix for when W68 happens, is an active recall for my VIN if there's no danger of W68 actually happening to my vehicle. For that she had no answer, that's when she finally offered the parts. I should've taken the parts and done the parts swap myself, but I was so enraged at these circular conversations that I foolishly agreed to have the dealer do the repair. I also asked her directly if my participation in the Class Action Lawsuit had anything to do with my VIN not being on the list, she said absolutely not. I also asked her if the V08 (AEM) recall kicked me out of the W68 VIN list, she said no to that too. I mention that b/c I recall reading speculation about this from other folks on the forum and wanted to put this out there.

I tried to get someone to explain to me why there were faulty tone wheels sporadically installed on these engines for three years, but not all the engines had the faulty ones and how they knew which ones were faulty. I see from NHTSA documents that the faulty tone wheels were manufactured in France by Hutchinson so maybe other engines had wheels from a different factory or something, but nobody at FCA would even talk to me about how the determination process was done to get to these "affected" VIN.

The arrogance and self assuredness of these employees is the part I find most disgusting, I'd donate the $1280 to charity if I could get FCA to cover the labor to replace the faulty part. it's not even about the money for me anymore. My trucks got 230,000 miles so I don't expect everything to be a recall or warranty for the entire life of the truck, but they could've made hundreds of thousands in sales off of my family in future years, but instead they chose to cheat me out of $1280 in labor and satisfy themselves.

Bottom line: Not a pro operation.
Reading your post it seems there is some confusion.

If I understand all of this correctly you should only have to pay for the part.

W68 only applies to those who opted out of the AEM flash. They are not eligible for the W58 so they get the W68. So, if you had the AEM flash your Vin would not show up for the W68.

If you had the AEM flash you get the W58 (when available). The AEM flash gave you a 4 year extended warranty that covers the sensor and labor. So you should only have to pay for the wheel.

Reactions: justind

·
Registered
3 Posts
Reading your post it seems there is some confusion.

If I understand all of this correctly you should only have to pay for the part.

W68 only applies to those who opted out of the AEM flash. They are not eligible for the W58 so they get the W68. So, if you had the AEM flash your Vin would not show up for the W68.

If you had the AEM flash you get the W58 (when available). The AEM flash gave you a 4 year extended warranty that covers the sensor and labor. So you should only have to pay for the wheel.
I agree you may be right. Do you know what the labor hrs are for just the sensor vs. the tone wheel? By looking at a schematic of the sensor and tone wheel, there may not be much labor in changing out the sensor only, but the tone wheel is where the dropping of the transmission occurs and therefore most of the labor. I've paid my bill, and I'm sure the pittance they'd offer me, if that is the case, isn't worth having to go back under the big top for the rest of the clown show.
Probably just gonna reregister it as a farm truck and pull the new EGR they put on it in Sept, retune it and kill some ozone.
Appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I agree you may be right. Do you know what the labor hrs are for just the sensor vs. the tone wheel? By looking at a schematic of the sensor and tone wheel, there may not be much labor in changing out the sensor only, but the tone wheel is where the dropping of the transmission occurs and therefore most of the labor. I've paid my bill, and I'm sure the pittance they'd offer me, if that is the case, isn't worth having to go back under the big top for the rest of the clown show.
Probably just gonna reregister it as a farm truck and pull the new EGR they put on it in Sept, retune it and kill some ozone.
Appreciate your thoughts.
I have no idea what the various labor hours might be. If what 97hmcs said is correct it's not an issue.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts