RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Updates on cp4

28K views 312 replies 55 participants last post by  Keith Harvey 
#1 ·
If I remember correctly from the recall mail, ram was supposed to be getting things started for cp4 pump recall repairs in June. Its may and it is right around the corner. So has anyone heard any news coming from your dealer about this?

#2 ·
It's two months away. Always has been, probably always will be! It's just like a practical fusion reactor, but on a shorter time scale.

#7 ·
If the parts "roll out" in December the installs will just be starting after that. To build enough parts for every motor should be a long-term project. My guess is those down will be the first to get the new pumps. Then they will start on the optional replacements but always keeping some in reserve for any old pumps that might fail.

Bet it will be a couple of years for the majority of owners will have pumps changed. By then some will be over 10 years old and more will be "off the road".

#13 ·
My dealer told me they are supposed to start receiving 5 HPFPs each month beginning in June. We'll see if those pumps show up. According to GDE, the pumps aren't going to show up until the end of the year. Either GDE is grossly wrong or FCA has been grossly wrong in their timelines. :unsure:

#14 ·
My dad’s dealer ordered his recall last month. They have no idea when it will arrive but was able to now order. Went and inquired at my dealer and I’m still on ice. Will post update when/if his ever actually arrives. His truck is a 2015.

#22 ·
There is a company mentioned on the Everything Ecodiesel facebook page that says they build a bulletproof cp4.2 for the Ecodiesel. They claim pinning the plunger to prevent rotation is one of the many beneficial mods. I'm no mechanic but I'm pretty sure that's what they claim.

#24 ·
I agree. I'm in no hurry to get the recall completed and don't plan to put myself on the list until the middle of next year. Then the actual scheduled work could be an additional 6+ months once I'm actually on the waitlist.

Reactions: diesel85
#33 ·
Sorry to the OP for this taking over the thread, did not intend on that! I was going to make a separate post but thought this was a good one to post it on instead!

All of what you have said is exactly what I said to the dealer as well! Should be no question, they confirmed its under warranty there is no question there! But he claims nothing he can do, he has to go by what his "rep" says.

Hoping Ram Cares can help too, I know they helped back with my AEM check when I didn't get the whole settlement i was entitled to. They are great! But still crickets, trying to be patient. But what an early birthday present this is turning out to be. Tomorrow is my birthday, I was hoping to have good news from the dealer not this bad news.

#36 ·
Interestingly, the HPFP is covered under the AEM warranty, which @15EcoRam1500 has.

#38 ·
True. However, there was no mention of that being a concern.

#57 ·
From what I've been told and read on the Internet from hours and hours of research, there are minimal problems with the Gen 3 EcoD. So the 2020-2023 EcoD's are the best, especially paired with the 8HP75 (2nd Generation) transmission.

Other than the CP4 problem (which is being addressed), I foresee a lot of Gen 3 EcoD's racking up some very high mileage later on in their lives. Kudos to Stella for owning up, unlike Ford for example on their Powerstroke.

Again makes me (and a lot of others) unhappy Stella dropped the EcoD out of the 1500. I'm sure VM Motori wasn't too keen on it either... kind of got side shafted with all of the time spent on engineering, especially when they see someone like GM making a half ton diesel and planning on keeping it for the long run. When I was shopping around for a new truck, and I was hanging around the GM dealers, it was the general consensus that GM plans on keeping the mini-Duramax until 2030. Again, they could be pushing smoke, but like the demise of the EcoD, it was all of a sudden. Then again, I just read yesterday that there is a possibility of a 1500 with a diesel/electric traction motor system, which is very interesting. So who knows, a diesel 1500 might be in the cards in a few years.

#62 ·
My patience is getting pretty thin for something that should have been fixed years ago. Ordered a truck in early Oct last year....delay after delay (production and delivery)...then THE DAY BEFORE picking up the truck at dealership...a phone call about this recall (this was mid April) saying they could not release the truck. Was told probably June...maybe July for the part when the call came. At that point...heck, it's been since Oct, whatever...I'll live.

Now I've been told it will be mid/late August before the pump will be available to them to replace the factory pump and release the truck off the lot......I'll be shocked if it happens since every single timeframe has been blown past on this order. It's been a joy to watch the depreciation of my trade as well since it was supposed to be traded in Jan/Feb originally. Good times.

#63 ·
Ordered a truck in early Oct last year....delay after delay (production and delivery)...then THE DAY BEFORE picking up the truck at dealership...a phone call about this recall (this was mid April) saying they could not release the truck.
I read this morning that someone who's been waiting to buy a Jeep Gladiator was finally given the green light to do so. Apparently, Jeep finally replaced the CP4 pump and the truck was released for sale. Maybe your turn is coming soon!

#66 ·
So I asked my resources and they gave me the info I was hankering for, however I am not at liberty to publicly state any formal dates.

All I can say for a date is: "End of second quarter of 2023". Recall parts will be distributed on a first come, first serve basis, and to recommend owners wait for the recall mailing to hit their mailboxes before calling your local service center to initiate the process.

From that, and maybe a little bit of Google power, you can figure out the time frame. But don't be thinking you are getting that fancy new HPFP in your EcoD right away. ;)

#68 ·
The planned release date is August 1st … at least that’s the date that I was told … but I’ve been getting lied to by FCA for close to 30 years now so take it for what it’s worth
Given that there are three recalls for the CP4, I wonder if they will be shipping the new pumps for all versions of the ED or if they will start with the oldest trucks first and work forward. That would make some sense as the oldest pumps seem likely to be the first to fail. Coincidentally, I just received my notice for the 01A AND for the 63A recall for the Trailer Reverse Steering Control Module, which I have never used. I also had not heard of that recall before. That recall has not been mentioned by number on this forum, so I am probably not the only one.

Reactions: diesel85
#71 ·
You should've waited another month or so.

Read up:

08/15/2023: FCA US will notify dealers and begin notifying owners with the Final Owner letter in phases, starting with the Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Gladiator, on or about 10/24/2023.
FCA US will notify dealers and begin notifying owners with the Final Owner letter of the Ram 1500 on or about 11/21/2023.