RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if this has been posted or not. I was at my local dealor yesterday and they told me that USAA offers a $1,000 off rebate on top of the rebates that you normall get as long as you are a member. I hope this helps someone out. All you have to do is login to your USAA account and go to the car buying option, build your car and wammo 1k off coupon code. It made me excited saving roughly another $20 per month after financing. This offer is good until the 15th of Jan 2015 on all 2014 year models.

looking at my rebates
Great Lakes BC Retail Consumer Cash 42CE1[1] $1,500
Great Lakes Chrysler Capital 2014 Bonus Cash GLCE5[2] $500
Great Lakes 2014 Bonus Cash GLCEA[3] $1,000
Military- $500
USAA- $1,000
total right now for me is $4,500

I am wondering if there are other discounts out there that arent easily found.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
USAF in Michigan

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am not sure if this has been posted or not. I was at my local dealor yesterday and they told me that USAA offers a $1,000 off rebate on top of the rebates that you normall get as long as you are a member. I hope this helps someone out. All you have to do is login to your USAA account and go to the car buying option, build your car and wammo 1k off coupon code. It made me excited saving roughly another $20 per month after financing. This offer is good until the 15th of Jan 2015 on all 2014 year models.

looking at my rebates
Military- $500
USAA- $1,000

I have USAA and tried this..The bad thing is you have to finance thru USAA so you wont be able to get the 500 off thru Chrysler Capital and it has to be the exact options that you pick thru the car buying service. I still ended up with 4500 in rebates with an ECOdiesel on the lot.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

looking at my rebates
Military- $500
USAA- $1,000

If you are in there direct mailing list you get $500 off. Ask them to check their database. If you aren't have them check for your spouse.

As far as the USAA discount goes, I am a member but the dealer I'm trying to buy thru says they don't participate in their car buying service. Does that mean you are using the service or are you just getting some kind of coupon on the USAA site?

Thank you

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have USAA and tried this..The bad thing is you have to finance thru USAA so you wont be able to get the 500 off thru Chrysler Capital and it has to be the exact options that you pick thru the car buying service. I still ended up with 4500 in rebates with an ECOdiesel on the lot.
I don't believe that's accurate. You can get the $1K off USAA discount without financing through USAA bank. The discount is for USAA membership and is not tied to financing through them. My dealer quoted me both discounts ($1,000 for USAA and $500 for financing through Chrysler Capital).

In my case, I opted not to use Chrysler Capital for two reasons (1) I'm more comfortable with USAA since I bank with them anyway, and it's only a $500 difference on the price of a $50K truck and (2) USAA is giving me 0.5% off the interest rate on the car loan if I finance through them and use the buying service (total 1.49% for 60 months). Amortized over the life of the loan, the 0.50% off the interest rate is actually more than the $500.

Well, I should say, "am opting not to use", since I've not yet picked up the truck. It should arrive this week -- the train has reached its final destination and we're awaiting truck transport to the dealer....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does that mean you are using the service or are you just getting some kind of coupon on the USAA site?Thank you
Here's what my coupon reads:

"Valid on any 2014 model 1500 vehicle at any franchised U.S. Ram Dealer."

It's my impression that the $1K off comes from Chrysler/Fiat and is rebated to the dealer -- any dealer should give you this discount, but you'll need to get coupon from USAA. Call them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its not really a car buying service. Once logged into USAA, and you build the truck of your dreams... USAAs site will have you print out the coupon there in it has a code that gives you the discount. USAA also directs you to a dealer that they selected. It should be good enough to take to a dealer that does not participate because if they dont work with you they loose the deal.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Looks like USAA service is powered by Truecar. Dealers have to pay them a fee to get buyers directed to their dealership. The closest to me I've found is 123mi away. I'll be surprised if they honor it knowing that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't think the USAA discount ($1K) comes out of the dealer's pocket. Why wouldn't they honor it? Besides, the fine print says, "Any Franchised U.S. Ram Dealer", if they didn't honor it, call Chrysler.

The way the USAA buying service works (I bought my wife's car with it and used it while shopping for my truck) is that you log into the USAA website and run through their TrueCar enabled options. After you've built your "ideal car/truck", the website shows you the price from the cheapest dealer in that area. In my case, there are four dealers that offer USAA pricing. When you click "See Dealer Pricing", USAA forwards your email address and telephone number to each of the participating dealers in your area (you will get phone calls -- in my case, I had a phone call less than 5 minutes after I clicked the button). At this point, the web site will also show you the name of the dealers and the price offered by each one. If your "ideal vehicle" doesn't match anything in stock (and it probably won't), each dealer's inventory is searched for near matches. You'll get a page for each vehicle, your ideal vehicle and near matches on the dealer lot, with a price for each. Since I had four Ram dealers in my area, I ended up with over 30 pages in my "packet".

The two most important parts of this package are the offer code (available on the first page), and then the "Guaranteed Savings". You'll get a different Guaranteed Savings from each dealer (if you have more than one). In my case, the lowest price comes from the dealer in Georgetown, TX. At the time I negotiated the price on my truck, they were "guaranteeing" $8600 off MSRP on a Laramie Limited 4x4 Ecodiesel. The guarantee is only valid for "in stock" vehicles, so in my case, the dealer was not obligated to honor the guarantee. What I did is I showed the print out to a different dealer, one who already had a very similar car ordered (dealer-ordered and in transit to the dealership). I explained to the salesman that what he needed to do was to convince me not to drive up to Georgetown with my certificate and have them dealer trade for the same (or similar) truck. I'm a terrible negotiator, but they respected my ability to drive 30 minutes and get the price, so they matched it, well almost, $8,500 off if I used Chrysler Credit, $8K off otherwise. I took the deal.

Finally, when I do pay for the truck, I have to provide my USAA offer code to qualify for the $1K discount.

Here's the TL;DR version.
1. Use the USAA buying service if you're a member, you've got nothing to lose, it's free. You'll get some information if nothing else.
2. Type in any zip code you want. If you've already found a truck in a different area (or different state), type in the zip. USAA will give you their "guaranteed savings" from the nearest participating dealer to that zip code. You're not limited to shopping in your home town.
3. Take the guaranteed savings to your dealer. Same dealer, different dealer, that's up to you. Show them the price and ask them if they'll beat it.

Repeat steps 1-3 as often as you like. I did it three times in the space of a week -- once for 4x2 Limited with a Hemi in Austin, again for the same truck options in San Antonio (actually, in that case I selected precisely the options that matched a truck that I knew was on the lot of a dealer in San Antonio), and then finally for the 4x4 Limited Ecodiesel that I want to buy (again, specced out with precisely the options that matched a truck that I knew was already in transit to the dealer -- I did this while sitting in the salesperson's cubicle/office, and said, "this is the price I want for the truck that matches the window sticker you just showed me").

4. When you pay for the truck, the dealer will need your USAA offer code.

I'm sure there are great negotiators out there who end up getting a better price than I will and never touch truecar or USAA's buying service. But assuming my truck finally gets here this next week and I end up getting my Limited Ecodiesel for $8K off MSRP, I'm good with that.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I don't think the USAA discount ($1K) comes out of the dealer's pocket. Why wouldn't they honor it? Besides, the fine print says, "Any Franchised U.S. Ram Dealer", if they didn't honor it, call Chrysler.

The way the USAA buying service works (I bought my wife's car with it and used it while shopping for my truck) is that you log into the USAA website and run through their TrueCar enabled options. After you've built your "ideal car/truck", the website shows you the price from the cheapest dealer in that area. In my case, there are four dealers that offer USAA pricing. When you click "See Dealer Pricing", USAA forwards your email address and telephone number to each of the participating dealers in your area (you will get phone calls -- in my case, I had a phone call less than 5 minutes after I clicked the button). At this point, the web site will also show you the name of the dealers and the price offered by each one. If your "ideal vehicle" doesn't match anything in stock (and it probably won't), each dealer's inventory is searched for near matches. You'll get a page for each vehicle, your ideal vehicle and near matches on the dealer lot, with a price for each. Since I had four Ram dealers in my area, I ended up with over 30 pages in my "packet".

The two most important parts of this package are the offer code (available on the first page), and then the "Guaranteed Savings". You'll get a different Guaranteed Savings from each dealer (if you have more than one). In my case, the lowest price comes from the dealer in Georgetown, TX. At the time I negotiated the price on my truck, they were "guaranteeing" $8600 off MSRP on a Laramie Limited 4x4 Ecodiesel. The guarantee is only valid for "in stock" vehicles, so in my case, the dealer was not obligated to honor the guarantee. What I did is I showed the print out to a different dealer, one who already had a very similar car ordered (dealer-ordered and in transit to the dealership). I explained to the salesman that what he needed to do was to convince me not to drive up to Georgetown with my certificate and have them dealer trade for the same (or similar) truck. I'm a terrible negotiator, but they respected my ability to drive 30 minutes and get the price, so they matched it, well almost, $8,500 off if I used Chrysler Credit, $8K off otherwise. I took the deal.

Finally, when I do pay for the truck, I have to provide my USAA offer code to qualify for the $1K discount.

Here's the TL;DR version.
1. Use the USAA buying service if you're a member, you've got nothing to lose, it's free. You'll get some information if nothing else.
2. Type in any zip code you want. If you've already found a truck in a different area (or different state), type in the zip. USAA will give you their "guaranteed savings" from the nearest participating dealer to that zip code. You're not limited to shopping in your home town.
3. Take the guaranteed savings to your dealer. Same dealer, different dealer, that's up to you. Show them the price and ask them if they'll beat it.

Repeat steps 1-3 as often as you like. I did it three times in the space of a week -- once for 4x2 Limited with a Hemi in Austin, again for the same truck options in San Antonio (actually, in that case I selected precisely the options that matched a truck that I knew was on the lot of a dealer in San Antonio), and then finally for the 4x4 Limited Ecodiesel that I want to buy (again, specced out with precisely the options that matched a truck that I knew was already in transit to the dealer -- I did this while sitting in the salesperson's cubicle/office, and said, "this is the price I want for the truck that matches the window sticker you just showed me").

4. When you pay for the truck, the dealer will need your USAA offer code.

I'm sure there are great negotiators out there who end up getting a better price than I will and never touch truecar or USAA's buying service. But assuming my truck finally gets here this next week and I end up getting my Limited Ecodiesel for $8K off MSRP, I'm good with that.
Wow! Thank you for the great summary and taking the time!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Meema, take another look at the fine print to be sure, but I believe the $1k bonus is not valid with the $500 military bonus. Still good for $500 more off at the end of the day, but don't want you to be surprised (unless they have changed it since June).

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm doing some shopping now and found TrueCar.com....When I put in the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel with Laramie package it comes out at $48K +/-. The TrueCar price is telling me I can walk in and by for $41k. Seems like one heck of a good deal, but I have not walked into a dealer with my certificate in had yet. This price appears to be below dealer invoice from what I can see. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im not sure what most people are paying vs. invoice, but if you want haggle free shopping, I recommend becoming a Chrysler Affiliate member. You can get pretty much any (sans SRTS) for 1% below invoice at any dealership. That is how I purchased my Grand Cherokee, and he deal turned out better than USAA or Truecar at the time.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Im not sure what most people are paying vs. invoice, but if you want haggle free shopping, I recommend becoming a Chrysler Affiliate member. You can get pretty much any (sans SRTS) for 1% below invoice at any dealership. That is how I purchased my Grand Cherokee, and he deal turned out better than USAA or Truecar at the time.
And how does one become an affiliate?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts