RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just told by my contact at Ram that the exact code that's holding up production is "J2E", which is apparently related to instrumentation or electronics(based on the "J" part of the code). It's not able to be identified for some reason??? Not the rims. Not the gears. Not the Outdoorsman package. He told me that the only thing I can hope to try is to tell the dealership what I know and to "escalate" a call with Ram customer service. I had already spoken to my dealership today so I didn't tell them about the J2E code yet but I did escalate a call with C.S. when they confirmed what I'd been told from the guy I know at Ram. Customer Service said they'd respond today or tomorrow. The sales manager at Capital Dodge said he'd talk to his regional rep again, because the rep told him "there's no reason it shouldn't be built". I'm tired of being told by my dealer that the information I have is wrong and that theirs is right. Although it's been coming weeks ahead of the dealer's info, everything the guy at Ram said has been true, including lots of the dates he provides. I was outright told by my dealer they want me to have my truck even more than I do because they want me to leave them alone, but they hold out information until I have to beg for it. The information I get when I beg then makes me a liar(because if I'm not telling the truth, what am I telling???) I certainly don't have time to order another 2014 truck and wait a month or two for it to show up, I want a vehicle. I need to hear something positive, VERY positive by April 7th.

I also found out my mom's hubby is divorcing her so I'm in the market for a bigger house I didn't want(because she has no credit). I'm at the point where this truck is no longer my dream vehicle, but it's at the perfect stage where it could show up all shiny and wonderful to make everything better. If it cant, I think I've been more than patient and I'll buy a cheaper(but arguably more fun) vehicle. When my house sells, I'll maybe put 20k down and get one in 2015. I bought a TEMPORARY CAR when I wrote off my lifetime project car and my life (as fucked up and mushy as it sounds)is really empty without a vehicle I take pride in. I got the "car" ('04 base model civic coupe) for $800 and it needed nothing for safety, but I thought then I'd have an Ecodiesel Ram in October/November. That was June. A full year of driving a car in worse shape(and more miles) than the first truck I owned when I was 16 is embarrassing, even if you're not egotistical...and let's be honest, I'm clearly egotistical.

I'm looking at getting a 2015 WRX STI(already on the lot) and paying it off fast so I can buy a truck in 2018(once all the companies' diesels are out there and I can get an Ecodiesel off a lot if it's still "THE ONE"). I can't back out of my deal until April 7th as per ram policy(3 months from date I place my order at the dealer, ordering opened the next day on the 8th??) which is a date they gave me today. I told myself I wouldn't wait past May to drive my new vehicle and it's not looking good for that anymore. I'm a broken man. It's almost to the point where I might as well get something else that's available right away because the wait is crazy and it's not even SCHEDULED to be over. When I apply for credit for a mortgage(my house is paid off), I'm worried that I can't apply for a car loan after(because of all the points you lose on credit inquiries). I'm in a tightening spot. The 550-lbs trailer I've been wanting to buy can be hauled by a Smart-Car so a WRX can probably tow it sideways down a dirt road...

This here gonna be morbid:
It's like suffering with a horrible terminal disease, and knowing death will bring that sweet release. You can wait for a transplant(knowing it may never come), or you can go to Vegas, max out all your credit and die strung out on crack nestled in the bosom of 5 hookers using your own gun, on your own terms. The car I smashed was a custom-built 4-door turbo, and the WRX is that car on crack. My suffering is my fault(I smashed the car) but I'm almost willing to do anything to end it.

Ball is in your court Ram, don't let me down!

P.S. I'll lose the $700 downpayment on the truck cap probably but everything else I can return at no cost to myself. Seat covers I'll pay to ship back.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sounds harsh man, is the J2E code for your ram only or for all outdoorsman? Just the outdoorsman setup you have? If it's an issue with your truck why doesn't ram build you a new one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sounds harsh man, is the J2E code for your ram only or for all outdoorsman? Just the outdoorsman setup you have? If it's an issue with your truck why doesn't ram build you a new one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know any other details yet, those are the questions I asked Customer Service and expect to hear back. Dr. Honda has a truck VIN for a truck he'd ordered but was able to change. The first truck is stuck in Limbo with mine, but doesn't seem to have any similar features that may correspond with the mysterious code other than Auto-Start and the J2E code is apparently not an option it's equipment. No idea why my truck is prevented by that piece, when theoretically if its not an option it should be affecting a lot more trucks!? I asked lots of questions Im waiting on answers.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Sorry to hear that.
Ram has screwed up something and if they are paying attention will respond quickly with a resolution.
Not good to mistreat a Ram forum moderator!
Hope it works out well.
If not, it's just a truck.
You'll find another.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Dude i hate to say it but your dealer is a disgrace.....thats just horrible i would complain to the new car dealer of ontario council and ask for compansation...... i have never bought new before and shopped around to 5 or 6 dealers and the one i finally chose i did so because they were basically the best price AND they were no sleaze no bullshit, everything was above board....they called me the next day to give me my VON after i ordered and 10days after to tell me im in D1.....that is how a dealer should be in my opiniom

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I would just tell that dealer to shove it and reorder with a reputable dealer i had a buddy order a outdoorsman friday and he got his VON thismorning

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would just tell that dealer to shove it and reorder with a reputable dealer i had a buddy order a outdoorsman friday and he got his VON thismorning
As per policy I have to wait until April 7th apparently. It's not a big deal, because I have an official deadline in my mind, which feels like some closure is on the way. I'm sort of praying that my complaints work and something gets done, because I'll actually get better mileage towing my little trailer with the truck than the Subaru. I have my VON and actually a full VIN which is why I can't back out yet they said. I'm okay with waiting until April 7th to back out and buy the Subaru, but I won't buy anything but an Outdoorsman(because I hate chrome) and I certainly won't wait longer than I have for a 2014 when there's a 2015 WRX STI on a lot still wrapped in plastic in the color I like. If Customer Service doesn't have good news I'll go to the Dealer Principal(who has a much better rep than the behaviour of his reps would indicate) and make a stink. I'm done waiting I'm ready to start driving.

IF they give me great news before the 7th, I would consider waiting!

·
Registered
396 Posts
What would be special about the J2E code that is not in other trucks? I have read some displays are different. Some have the pic of the truck with the doors open, some just have a red light for doors open. Some show load in bed some do not. From what I read there is no clear way to tell what you get.
I'm sure you gave the info you have I'm just trying to figure out in my head what would be so special about this code.
Is there anything on the lots that is even close to what you wanted?

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
The whole thing is a shame. It does sound like you are emotionally attached to a truck order. Heh man...it's just a pickup truck. That should not be a major part of ones' quality of life. It would be sad if it is as there's oh so much more to live for and with.

Shake off the emotional rut you sound like you dug for yourself. Make it happen and laugh about it on the way.

·
Registered
279 Posts
E/D, I am going to give you the same advice, that you gave to me, when I posted should buy now, or hold off until end of second quarter to see if my job's OK.

Your advice was, if it does not feel right, "follow your heart" so follow what you, in your heart, knows what is best for you.

You have a hell of a lot of other things going on, besides buying a truck. And really, in the end, it's a vehicle...

What I found when I got my 2008 Duramax, I loved that truck, my family enjoyed it... but over time, it sat more and more in the driveway.... I found having a truck.. and sure it was cool as heck... but I did not need the 3/4 ton truck, or fuel payments..... One fall day, I looked out the window, and basically saw $35,000 sitting there....... so I sold it 1 year after I bought it, for about the same price as I bought it for.....

When the time is right, you will enjoy the vehicle more.. and if the time is not right, get your WRX or just wait..... (or do what Capt or me would do, buy a motorcycle !! LOL)

It's hard for me to wait, especially seeing the pictures of the new trucks, I got the cash to go and buy one right now.. but it would not be what's best for me or my family...
I have to make sure my job's safe ..... So as much as I want to get one now, especially because I could pay for it... I am not going to do it....
I will wait until July, probably July, after our second quarter earnings are published....

And I see guys blaming your dealer.. I have seen a few good dealers, or dealers with good people, but many dealers are poor, and have dumb ass people working for them... I know more about the trucks than they do, and that's pathetic..... Just Saturday I went to my local dealer, and the dumb ass sales guy tried to tell me there was no such thing as an "Outdoorsman"....

Follow your heart, and don't beat yourself up about it..... sure it's a disappointment.. but that door will open down the road, when the time is right.

Keep a sense of humor along the way, and do what you know is right.

Marsman / Terry .

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Well.......

That really sux, and I'm sorry to hear it. I told SPP to stop tracking my #2 truck... but I think it has the same issue.

I'm not sure of the rules... but in the USA there Isn't any binding rules about the length of time we have to wait. Regardless of the date, you have been patient, and even if they figure out the issue... they aren't going to build, and deliver a truck in 2 weeks. I would go to the rep, and find a truck that is just coming in for dealer stock. The only issue is, in the USA we haven't really been able to order the outdoorsman.... so a doubt you will find one coming in as stock.

If you really don't want the diesel... then just go get the WRX now. they are fun cars too. My wife has a turbo Forester, and it's a good time.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am in Canada too, I ordered mine the first or second week in January, it was built and has been sitting at the factory for 2 1/2 weeks now, it has gone through all the inspections and I can't get a good answer as to why it hasn't moved yet. It is getting frustraiting to say the least. I use my truck every day for work (over 80000 km/year or 48000miles/year) and every day I drive my 2012 I lose resale value. my dealer didn't require me to put a down payment and haven't signed any paperwork ( I can walk if I want) but I have been more than happy with my current truck. I have had 5 other trucks from the other 2 makers and my current Ram is the best by far of all of them.
As much as I don't have time to wait, I am going to. If this motor is as good, or half as good as advertised and the truck around it is as good as my 2012 I stand a chance of saving alot of money. I wish you the best of luck with your situation

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am in Canada too, I ordered mine the first or second week in January, it was built and has been sitting at the factory for 2 1/2 weeks now, it has gone through all the inspections and I can't get a good answer as to why it hasn't moved yet. It is getting frustraiting to say the least. I use my truck every day for work (over 80000 km/year or 48000miles/year) and every day I drive my 2012 I lose resale value. my dealer didn't require me to put a down payment and haven't signed any paperwork ( I can walk if I want) but I have been more than happy with my current truck. I have had 5 other trucks from the other 2 makers and my current Ram is the best by far of all of them.
As much as I don't have time to wait, I am going to. If this motor is as good, or half as good as advertised and the truck around it is as good as my 2012 I stand a chance of saving alot of money. I wish you the best of luck with your situation
I was told that for all Canadian Ecodiesels there's an April 1st mass release date and that all units would arrive at appropriate holding locations so as to allow client pick up starting on the 1st. That's from the sales manager at the dealership who claims to be friends with the regional rep. They're holding units so that they all release in full trucks and don't trickle out, but I was also told they're doing it to establish some sort of fairness. I dunno who to believe but I hope that helps you.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sorry to read about your troubles EgoDiesel.

To be quit honest I was having a hard time believing that your Outdoorsman could arrive when promised. It is not that I didn't believe you, it is it has been very difficult to get a Outdoorsman in the US with a bench seat and 17" wheels. As of today, you could get a QC outdoorsman with a bench seat, but you had to pay the upgrade for the 20" wheels. You can still not get a Outdoorsman in CC with a bench seat and 17" wheels.

I spoke to a fella named Nick over the weekend who works at Chrysler Media relations. He had his people chase the issues down and today he sent me a mail that basically said it will be after June 10th before I can order a CC with a bench seat and 17" wheels. So that in theory puts us into the 2015 model year. He also said that no dealers will be getting ED on lots before customer orders. He said they are still overwhelmed with the volume of the customer orders that come in daily. In addition to the ED he says the Gassers sales remain brisk. They share a lot of common parts outside of the power train.

I am going to need a new truck before August, so I am going to order either a big horn made up as close to the Outdoorsman as possible or the Outdoorsman with the bucket seats and the force 20" wheel upgrade. You are also forced to order 20" wheels now on the big horn, but you get them at no additional cost. Can you believe that? Where as in the outdoorsman you have to pay the upgraded price. I will personally appeal to Chrysler on that.

Again. Sorry to hear your troubles. But man, their is a huge disconnect between corporate and its partner dealers. I suppose the auto industry is the only business that can survive with such poor customer relationships.

I think the Tesla model of direct sales is something to be copied.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well.......

That really sux, and I'm sorry to hear it. I told SPP to stop tracking my #2 truck... but I think it has the same issue.

I'm not sure of the rules... but in the USA there Isn't any binding rules about the length of time we have to wait. Regardless of the date, you have been patient, and even if they figure out the issue... they aren't going to build, and deliver a truck in 2 weeks. I would go to the rep, and find a truck that is just coming in for dealer stock. The only issue is, in the USA we haven't really been able to order the outdoorsman.... so a doubt you will find one coming in as stock.

If you really don't want the diesel... then just go get the WRX now. they are fun cars too. My wife has a turbo Forester, and it's a good time.
Its not that I don't want it, its that I need to pull the trigger on my backup plan before or at the same time as I go shopping a mortgage or it looks bad on your credit. Not catastrophically bad, but less ideal. I need a car that's reliable for my job and my disposable car is prone to not starting in the cold. I need 4x4 to keep my current client load next winter because I have to literally get a run at one client's driveway or walk a mile++ in for help once I get stuck(no cell service and only plow once it stops snowwing). I have one client(my main money-maker) who lives on such a steep hill that it cant be climbed without 4x4 in freezing rain AND theres an intersection with the highway at the top so if you catch a red you have to blow it or back down the hill. I really just need 4x4 and a brand new vehicle. The only reason the Ecodiesel applies to me is because the fuel economy is good enough and the Outdoorsman has the look I'd want. All the other reasons I have for owning a truck only come into the picture with the Ecodiesel so as much as I joke about a Hemi I really don't need that. If the exact truck I want isn't available, I'll get the car that is and get the truck in a couple years.

Ive been working 150+ hour pay periods since November(excluding January where I took 3 weeks off) and I damn well want to buy something and see it in the driveway!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Woodsman- My truck has been sitting at the factory since Feb. 28th. Was suppose to arrive at the dealer on 3/24 or 3/25... didn't happen. Dealership says they got the invoice from the factory, which means the truck should be here any day. Not holding my breath any longer. I am on the west side of Michigan so its not that far to haul it. Very frustrating to know its built but they can't get it to me in a timely manner. EcoDiesel, I don't know what to tell you.... I feel for you. The WRX is a great car and fun to drive, especially the new STI.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This sucks! You should have been driving it by now. I ordered 3 weeks after you and mine was just built today (Big Horn). (Thank you again for your help over PM!)

I guess you have to really decide if you want it or not. You shouldn't take it personally. Worst case scenario order another Outdoorsman through another dealer.

If you go with STI, you will have to wait for it anyways. So I think, do choose the vehicle that is the best suited for you. Do not let some bad luck or bad dealer make you not change your mind. =)

I drive 2011 LGT now and its def not enough for my needs living outside of the big city. :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
I wouldn't think one inquiry would make a difference in your ability to get a good mortgage rate. Not here in the US anyways. i obviously have no idea you credit situation but mine is about as high as you can get. with that said in the last 3 months i got a signature loan for $15k to buy another rental property, bought $5k of furniture on one of those 0% 42 months things that can look real bad on a credit report and just secured my loan through my credit union yesterday for the best rate available.
i say all this not to gloat but to say looking into financing a new truck should not make or break buying a new home.

Reactions: EgoDiesel

·
Registered
196 Posts
Lots of good advice here. Probably most of us have emotional attachment to our vehicles, but CaptainAnimal is right, that there are plenty of other important things in life and really cool vehicles will always come along. Good luck with all that is going on in your life right now.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Good things come to those who wait.

Hang in there.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts