RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which should i get?? Travel 60 miles a day all highway, will not be towing anything only using for house stuff. I am in NJ so seasonal climate. Looking for something that will last a while, great gas mileage, good in snow (i would get 4x4). I read the diesel would only get about 2-3 mpg more than gas. would be first pickup...thanks for the help!! oh and would be getting the crew cab because of my kids.

·
Registered
366 Posts
which should i get?? Travel 60 miles a day all highway, will not be towing anything only using for house stuff. I am in NJ so seasonal climate. Looking for something that will last a while, great gas mileage, good in snow (i would get 4x4). I read the diesel would only get about 2-3 mpg more than gas. would be first pickup...thanks for the help!! oh and would be getting the crew cab because of my kids.
Depends on the driving style you use regularly. The gasser can rev a lot higher so you can realistically burn more fuel if you drive it like a 4-banger and rev it high. Also depends on options lie rear-end. Once you start looking at heavier vehicles(crew cab full of people + box full of luggage) or towing the diesel can be better because the mileage decreases less with load than the v-6 gas.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If you never plan on towing then get the gasser. You'll never make up the $4,000 in fuel in diesel over the V6

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Either engine would be great for use as a family hauler and for commuting. If initial cost is a consideration the Pentastar V6 is the obvious choice, and it is a fine engine from all reports. If you want the extra features in the Laramie or above trim then the diesel will be the choice (the V6 is not offered). Long-term costs are often debated and depend on region and driving style, but in general the diesel should start returning its extra investment after 3 to 5 years. Even though you do not tow now, if you ever get a travel trailer for example the diesel fuel economy will be much better than with gas.

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
Test rode two V 6 Pentastars. Liked them. On the interstate it was effortless and you never felt the transmission shift. Showed in the mid-20's on the "lie-o-meter" when cruising. Reset it on both tests and got over 20 with a bit of city involved on both rides.

If I did not tow and run hundreds of miles at a time, I would get the gas V 6.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Your choice is a matter of preference in how they drive. I think you do enough mileage to warrant the diesel. I determining your pay-back, don't forget you should get a higher resale value in the end so factoring that in, if you own the truck for more than 5 years you should be okay.
Personally, I love how diesel drives. Love the torque. If you can't decide, I'd wait until you can drive both before you make a decision.

·
Registered
279 Posts
First be careful to interpret the mileage of the gas motor as actual. Truck Trend had a 1 year report and the mileage was not very good.. Of course keep in mind the Truck Trend 1 year, included beating the heck out of the truck, towing, running it hard etc. - Guys on Forum reporting mid to upper 20s MPG.

First advice, while mileage is important, it should NOT be the primary consideration between THESE 2 MOTORS. if you are looking at a 6.4 hemi or a 6.2 in a GM or Ford, sure the bigger gas motors drink gas.
On the flat or relative flat area of Jersey the 3.6 Pentstar motor should do pretty good, esp with the 8 speed....

But keep in mind diesel fuel cost here in PA is roughly 50 cents to 70 cents per gallon more expensive than gas, so fuel is negligible... don't base your decision between the 3.6 gas and 3.0 diesel on fuel mileage. The gas motor would work fine for you, and probably save you up front cost on the purchase. The 3.6 Gas motor would not be a mistake... would I buy it? probably not... but I think it's a good motor with a great transmission and it will work fine.

Now if you never have owned a diesel vehicle, car or truck, you may not know the benefits, or even care about the benefits....The characteristics of a diesel are totally different than a gas motor... diesel fuel is more energy dense (BTU) than gasoline by about 17%. Diesel motors are compression fired, gas motors have spark plugs, and diesel produces mass torque at low RPM. Torque is force to twist, and torque is more valued in towing, but torque also affects every day driving.
When I test drove the Jeep with the 3.0 diesel, same one they are putting in the Ram 1500, the motor performed beautifully, The 3.0 VM diesel produces most of it's torque from 1800-2600 rpms... What this means is the motor never really has to work that hard to produce power, to drive, whether you are towing or not. This is one area that diesel motors are a benefit and this is why they are so preferred for towing. But again, you feel the benefit of the diesel motor every time you drive the car, whether commuting, on highway, any kind of driving.
Other considerations are cost, can you afford the motor upgrade? Does the diesel mean that much to you in order to fork out the cash for the upgrade?
We can not answer that for you.

One last consideration is resale and value. Diesels in 3/4 ton HD trucks hold their value much more than gas motors. I bought a clean used 2008 Chevy Duramax LTZ. I sold it later for the exact same amount that I bought it for. Will that be the case with this truck? even though it's new? and a half ton? I would think the diesel will hold it's value to the extent that you will recoup the cost of the motor upgrade, when you sell the truck.

I would suggest that you go to a Jeep Dealer and drive the Grand Cherokee with the diesel... then drive a Ram 1500 with the 3.6 V6 Gas motor, that will really tell you. Either motor will fit your need and either motor will do the job, and do it well.

For me, if I am forking out 40,000 or more on a new vehicle, I want it to be unique, and different, and functional... For me, I would only get the diesel.... but that's just me.... My family owns a trucking company, I have owned diesel vehicles in the past, I am in transportation in your job, I know diesels. . I have been waiting for 25 years for a good diesel in a half ton truck..... I wish the motor was a little bigger, possible a V8......
But the motor is proven
Mike I don't think you will make a bad choice.... both motors are very good...especially with the excellent 8 speed transmission... it's just what you want, what you can afford, and also what you need. Drive em both, and make a choice...
hope this was of some help.
Marsman

1 - 7 of 7 Posts