RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got both done Monday. It drives very close to before initial AEM. A little hesitation when cold. Buying fuel at the same place for for 2.03/2.05 and making two, 250 mile round trips a week and showing a 24.5 mpg. The way I drive. Here's the question, When I installed the factory ECU, couple days before service. The DEF showed more than a 1/4 tank increase. it went from just below a 1/4 to over a half. Today to do a sanity check I put in a full 2 1/2 gal and its now reading full. Had an oil change done and reset it before taking in. Not going to swap back until I do a couple round trips to see the mileage difference. The coolant tank looks darker and there is a new little sticker.

·
Registered
396 Posts
New sticker you say?!?!?

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Registered
37 Posts
It drives very close to before initial AEM. A little hesitation when cold.
Picked mine up yesterday, that is my first impression though i did not get to drive it much as i had to get back to work. Cold is better than before so that's an improvement, full temp felt pretty good too. I'll get it out on the freeway later this week and give it a real test. Following the AEM the truck couldn't go down the freeway with cruise on without downshifting due to hills or wind or draft from a passing Prius. Hoping for goodness!

As far as the updated EGR cooler i had mine replaced in March, a second time, and was told at that time that the new parts were not available and that i would have to come back to get the official VB1 done. Then i received a letter from FCA saying that my VB1 update had been completed. So basically they said "oh he already got a new one this year, that's good enough." Unless FCA was shipping a revised EGR ahead of alerting their service centers they just decided to call it good. I think i am not the only member here who has seen this. Some are even reporting that their EGR had been updated without ever going to the dealer. [rolls eyes at RAM Customer (don't) Care] My recent service confirmed that the VA7 was open but there was no open VB1 showing for my truck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got about 50 miles on my 250 mile round trip and got a service throttle body on screen. went away and hasn't returned. I have to do left foot break and I hope its a case of throttle and break at same time. I go by the dealer and see what the heck is up as I have two round trips to do this coming week. mileage dropped 1.5, but still a decent 22 plus. Some diesel 2.50 a gallon and where I fill up 1.99. DEF gauge still acting up. Dropped a guarter of a tank in a heart beat. Its about where it should be now. I miss the chance/opertunity to open the door, back up and take the chance of falling out.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Picked mine up yesterday, that is my first impression though i did not get to drive it much as i had to get back to work. Cold is better than before so that's an improvement, full temp felt pretty good too. I'll get it out on the freeway later this week and give it a real test. Following the AEM the truck couldn't go down the freeway with cruise on without downshifting due to hills or wind or draft from a passing Prius. Hoping for goodness!

As far as the updated EGR cooler i had mine replaced in March, a second time, and was told at that time that the new parts were not available and that i would have to come back to get the official VB1 done. Then i received a letter from FCA saying that my VB1 update had been completed. So basically they said "oh he already got a new one this year, that's good enough." Unless FCA was shipping a revised EGR ahead of alerting their service centers they just decided to call it good. I think i am not the only member here who has seen this. Some are even reporting that their EGR had been updated without ever going to the dealer. [rolls eyes at RAM Customer (don't) Care] My recent service confirmed that the VA7 was open but there was no open VB1 showing for my truck.
There a various threads that have a picture of the part label on the new style EGR. Check and compare and if it is not dated properly go back to the dealer with a copy of the new label and say why isn't mine the same as this new one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"The coolant tank looks darker and there is a new little sticker". The new sticker is on the coolant tank and its/coolant is five shades darker. I'll post a Pic.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definitely have the new EGR. New sticker on coolant tank says OAT something and is many shades of red darker. 18mpg was the about the best after AEM, now is 22 mpg and I normally get 24.5 and can back up with the door ajar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had the VB1 and VA7 service work completed. OMG the VA7 has provided the performance that I'd forgotten that the truck had before the AEM. Faster response, noticably more power and pep! Had a good experience at the dealership (Coopersville, MI) and FCA customer care actually was a great help in securing the EGR parts for me! And while I.m on a roll I going to buy some lottery tickets ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts