RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just got through talking to two dealers and FCA twice. They all tell me that the EGR coolers are allocated at 1 per week to each dealer. I am on a waiting list and they can't tell me how long it will be except that there are many ahead of me. When informed that my truck is losing coolant, they suggest that I have it diagnosed by the dealer. If the diagnosed cause is the EGR cooler, they will replace it with the old version until the new ones are available. If the EGR cooler isn't the cause of the coolant loss, then I would have to pay for it.
I don't see that I have any other choice than to drive until they get to me. I'm finally beginning to see why so many forum members are fed up with FCA. It's too bad, as I love this truck, but I think it's time to move on.
I don't see that I have any other choice than to drive until they get to me ? You just said they would replace it to hold you over till the new one came out ? ..And...If the EGR cooler isn't the cause of the coolant loss, then I would have to pay for it.... So if they had the new part and you had another problem you wouldn't have to pay for it ? Are you still under any warranty ?

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
I don't see that I have any other choice than to drive until they get to me ? You just said they would replace it to hold you over till the new one came out ? ..And...If the EGR cooler isn't the cause of the coolant loss, then I would have to pay for it.... So if they had the new part and you had another problem you wouldn't have to pay for it ? Are you still under any warranty ?
Yes, yes and yes... However, I received a notice from FCA saying that the EGR cooler has to be replaced and it is a safety issue. The also advised me that the parts are available. Two dealerships would not give me an appointment date. I got the same runaround from FCA. I am under two warranties (Extended and AEM) to my knowledge and the truck only has 32K miles on it. Then they tell me that I may have to pay? Complete BS IMO and I'm not playing their game. Furthermore, I don't have time to take my truck in and wait for who knows how long to get it diagnosed and the old part put in, if they agree that the EGR cooler is the problem. Then I still have to go back again for the final fix? The less they touch my truck, the better I like it. As I said, I love the truck, but I don't need the irritation and possible unreliability.
I believe that FCA lied when they sold me a truck that did not meet emission standards and I believe that they lie now when they say EGR cooler is available.

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
If you haven't yet, PM RamCares with your VIN and dealer name. It seems to have worked for a few people here so far. I haven't done so myself yet because I'll be using my truck regularly through July and don't want to have it tied up at the dealer. I'll ask the dealer again around August and if I get the same answer, I'll ask RamCares for help.
If RAM Cares, then I would think that it would filter from the top down to the dealers. FCA didn't seem to Care when I talked to them directly, nor did the dealers. If they don't have parts, they shouldn't inform me that they do. Those letters are just to get the NTSB off of their back...IMO.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just got through talking to two dealers and FCA twice. They all tell me that the EGR coolers are allocated at 1 per week to each dealer. I am on a waiting list and they can't tell me how long it will be except that there are many ahead of me. When informed that my truck is losing coolant, they suggest that I have it diagnosed by the dealer. If the diagnosed cause is the EGR cooler, they will replace it with the old version until the new ones are available. If the EGR cooler isn't the cause of the coolant loss, then I would have to pay for it.
I don't see that I have any other choice than to drive until they get to me. I'm finally beginning to see why so many forum members are fed up with FCA. It's too bad, as I love this truck, but I think it's time to move on.
I am in the same boat Gene, it is very frustrating. IMO it's bs if you have to pay if it's not egr cooler. I took mine in initially for coolant loss when I was still under 3/36 warranty. The problem has not been fixed yet and the dealer knows it. I will be very unhappy if I have to pay anything even if not egr cooler.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If RAM Cares, then I would think that it would filter from the top down to the dealers. FCA didn't seem to Care when I talked to them directly, nor did the dealers. If they don't have parts, they shouldn't inform me that they do. Those letters are just to get the NTSB off of their back...IMO.
We do have parts. I saw on another thread you posted the dealer could only one per week - that is incorrect.
If you send your VIN in a private message, we can get your appointment set up.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

·
Registered
10 Posts
We do have parts. I saw on another thread you posted the dealer could only one per week - that is incorrect.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
If you have parts why was I told late fall for completing my EGR recall by my dealer/service department?

·
Registered
346 Posts

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
Um, I sent you that info and the eventual reply was that the dealer would contact me when they had parts. I already knew that and the dealer at least took a stab at an ETA: September. Just a suggestion... don't promise what you can't deliver.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you have parts why was I told late fall for completing my EGR recall by my dealer/service department?
Not sure. Which dealer do you work with? Feel free to send a PM.

Um, I sent you that info and the eventual reply was that the dealer would contact me when they had parts. I already knew that and the dealer at least took a stab at an ETA: September. Just a suggestion... don't promise what you can't deliver.
That isn't what is supposed to happen. I'm sorry that it went that way. I will go back and look for your PM.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

·
Registered
147 Posts
Not sure. Which dealer do you work with? Feel free to send a PM.

That isn't what is supposed to happen. I'm sorry that it went that way. I will go back and look for your PM.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
I just sent my info in. Mine is a 2014 which I thought was supposed to be a priority.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I gave up waiting and purchased a Bulletproof EGR and had it installed by an independent diesel shop back in mid March. I was fed up with adding coolant. From October to December I was adding 250ml a week, January into February was 500ml and first two weeks in March I was adding a litre per week ( I drive 200km round trip to and from work).
New EGR cooler installed days before Covid lockdown and I am not loosing any coolant now.
Disgusting how FCA has been treating their customers. I will everyone I can who is considering a ecodiesel to stay away or if they already have one to be aware and prepared for a fire.

jerry

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
Thanks for your reply Kaitlin. Here is the quote from the chat that I had with Sarah at FCA.
Me (6/22/2020, 11:35:31 AM): Dealers are telling me that they only get 1 set of parts a week and the waiting list is so long that they can't give me a date.
Sarah (6/22/2020, 11:49:30 AM): I was able to confirm that of the current permanent repair the Dealer is limited to 1 every 7 days.
I will PM you tomorrow with the information on my truck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am dealing with the same issue. I have a 2016 Ram Eco. I brought it in with CEL codes and they assessed and said I needed new intake manifold, MAF sensor and fuel lines, but they said the EGR was on national back order. All parts are there but EGR. Sent me home and said keep an eye on my coolant. I have done that and now I have another message that won’t clear saying service electronic control. It won’t go away and my turbo won’t boost at all. I parked it and called today to let them know I need all this fixed and I also have the new issue arising with the turbo. They said we don’t have a loaner and said they would call me back. PLEASE HELP!!! I messaged Ram Cares three days ago and i haven’t gotten a reply...... I just bought the truck two months ago and now I am really regretting it!! I hope they make this right!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
That's rough. did they tell you, or do you know, what the codes were? If the problem was directly related to the EGR recall and you have a coolant leak, they should not have let you leave with your truck. And if they don't have a loaner available they are supposed to get you a rental from Enterprise and bill FCA, $35 a day if I remember right. And like pizza442 said, RamCares will answer but it may take a little time. if you messaged them 3 days ago (like saturday?) they may have been off work. They are allegedly FCA employees and therefore would be paid to be on the forum during business hours, but likely wouldn't be around on the weekend.

I know "wait and see" isn't what you want to hear when you are without a vehicle, but your only other option is to drive/tow it to the dealer and leave it right on their doorstep where it is most inconvenient for them and they have to help you.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
It would seem to me that since FCA can't supply parts for the recall, one could go to diesel shop, have it fixed and recover the costs. I'm thinking Bullet Proof Diesel..$868.75

·
Registered
204 Posts
It would seem to me that since FCA can't supply parts for the recall, one could go to diesel shop, have it fixed and recover the costs. I'm thinking Bullet Proof Diesel..$868.75
That seems logical to me Gene and maybe everyone except FCA. I would like to go this route as I am tired of adding coolant and wondering how much internal damage I am doing to the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2018 EcoDiesel Laramie with less than 6k miles and we really like the truck. Also have a GDE tune since it had 1k miles on it. Two months ago I scheduled an appointment for the VB1 recall and two other recalls to be done at the same time. The appointment was not until mid July but I thought it would be a good idea to check on the status of parts, so I called the dealer today. They just informed me (only because I called them) that the factory does not have a fix yet for the 2018, is this true? And I also cancelled the appointment for the two others recalls since I want to do them all at the same time especially since I have to swap the GDE with the stock one that I still have.
A couple of times I have smelled hot coolant and my coolant reservoir is down about 3/8-1/2 inch. Should I worry about taking a 2k mile round trip this summer. After all I got this truck for road trips!
Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
after months of waiting the dealer just installed the new cooler. The lady at the desk told me they also replaced the tube. I asked her if it was the diffuser tube and didnt know. Anyone who has had it done know if they also replace the diffuser tube?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2018 EcoDiesel Laramie with less than 6k miles and we really like the truck. Also have a GDE tune since it had 1k miles on it. Two months ago I scheduled an appointment for the VB1 recall and two other recalls to be done at the same time. The appointment was not until mid July but I thought it would be a good idea to check on the status of parts, so I called the dealer today. They just informed me (only because I called them) that the factory does not have a fix yet for the 2018, is this true? And I also cancelled the appointment for the two others recalls since I want to do them all at the same time especially since I have to swap the GDE with the stock one that I still have.
A couple of times I have smelled hot coolant and my coolant reservoir is down about 3/8-1/2 inch. Should I worry about taking a 2k mile round trip this summer. After all I got this truck for road trips!
Thanks
Not true, the fix is the same for all model years. We just phased the launches by model year due to the part constraints. We are continually getting parts in the network every week.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

41 - 60 of 70 Posts