RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

VB1 EGR cooler on backorder again?

18K views 89 replies 48 participants last post by  bill-e 
#1 ·
Called the dealer yesterday to make the appointment for VB1, but asked them to check how long it would take to get the new cooler in stock. He checked with the parts counter and said don't bother making the appointment the cooler is on backorder until April 2021!

I thought it might be a coincidence as the original date was April 2020, maybe he made a mistake on the year? he double checked and guaranteed it said 2021.

Called another dealer to confirm and was told the same thing. At least the second dealer took down my name and number and said they would call when the cooler is available again. I'm 3rd in line.

Is anybody else hearing similar?

#3 ·
had mine done this past Wednesday, B-I-L had it ordered and on a tentative list, they called Monday and done wed. what year is your truck??? mine is a 16 and to tell you the truth thought it would be longer, unsure of what their criteria is and who and what get done the quickest, have a neighbor/friend and his has been BO'd for quite some time, his truck is a 17:rolleyes:

#7 ·
Check with a smaller low volume dealer. I was told by one dealer list is 15 to 20 weeks. Second dealer inspected on Tuesday, installed following Monday morning. Three hours in and out. 3/13/20 manufacture date

Reactions: sourdo
#8 ·
I contacted my dealer as soon as the new cooler came out and they said there were 70 trucks in front of mine on their waiting list and they were only getting 2 coolers in a week so they probably would not get to me for 9 months. They said in the mean time I should not take any long trips and monitor my coolant level. I bought this truck to take trips with our camper. It is very frustrating. I contacted RAM directly and they said to schedule an inspection by the dealer. I told them I had just done that and I sent them the dealer paperwork saying it was using coolant. RAM said I needed to take it in again for another inspection. So frustrating.

#9 ·
mine is a 2015. I read on here how the new cooler was available after April 9 as promised and some had it replaced shortly after. But I was anticipating needing my truck during that timeframe and held off until I knew I had available downtime. I was expecting there would be enough coolers available for the same reason Capt stated, and also expected they would say something similar to Jaybird "x number of coolers available to each dealer each week" so I wasn't worried about being late to the party. Apparently I was mistaken.

I pushed for more info and speculated about the possibility that Covid was causing the delay, but neither dealer had any more info (I didn't expect them to either). Also considered calling FCA customer care but figured I'd get the same runaround from them so I won't bother.

I've never had EGR/Cooler issues or coolant loss issues and also have GDE so I'm not concerned. I was also planning to have them do VA7 and U07, just wanted to get it all wrapped up at once. But VA7 and U07 aren't critical and I also have an EGR delete kit on the shelf if the need should ever arise.

For now I'll put GDE back in and wait for the dealer to call when more coolers are available. I was just curious if others had heard the same about another backorder.

#10 ·
I got mine done about 3 weeks ago, first one for this dealership. I treat the service mgr and my rep right, and they remember me. I brought in donuts for the shop and a flower for my service rep on my first oil change 2 years ago, now it's "Mr Rushing, what can we do for you?" any time I walk in to the counter.

#12 ·
While in buying a new coolant cap yesterday, I was told at the dealer to get in a long line for the EGR recall.

They have not released the new EGR cooler parts for the 2017 yet. Don't even have a date.

Back to my above statement about a block off kit, what a cluster puck.

#19 ·
While in buying a new coolant cap yesterday, I was told at the dealer to get in a long line for the EGR recall.

They have not released the new EGR cooler parts for the 2017 yet. Don't even have a date.

Back to my above statement about a block off kit, what a cluster puck.
Owner letters are planned to go out for 2017-2019 on June 18. Parts are limited but available.

Called my dealer to schedule the recalls. Cooler has to be ordered. ETA is September.
What model year? We can look into it for you.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

#13 ·
I have been on a list at my dealer in San Diego for 2 months. Every time I call to check they say just a few trucks ahead of me. I had been losing an inch of coolant a month for a few months. Parked the truck in March and have not driven it at all. Now after starting the truck I get a check engine light. P20E9 Reductant Pressure to High?? Is this part of recall or something else?

#14 ·
P20E9 Reductant Pressure to High?? Is this part of recall or something else?
P20E9 is related to DEF and would not be part of the recall. it could be any number of things related to the DEF pump, sensors, or injector. My guess based on your truck sitting since march, is that the DEF crystallized on the injector and is causing the high pressure alarm. Search for threads on cleaning the DEF injector, once it's clean the code may go away.

going back to the original topic, I found a separate thread on here that listed the part numbers for the egr recall:

Just picked up truck with VB1 and VA7 Done

and called both dealers again and asked about the specific parts. the first parts guy just said "sorry, the chrysler computer is down so I can't check". the parts guy at the second dealer recognized the numbers immediately as the EGR recall parts but then followed up with "sorry the chrysler computer is down so I can't check on availability"

While it doesn't really show above, dealer 2 has been much more cooperative, helpful and customer friendly, and while I haven't taken my truck there before they will be getting my business in the future.

#15 ·
Called to schedule mine today. Was told it was on back order. They took my name and said they would contact me when it becomes available. I was concerned with mine this weekend. I pulled my camper about 400 miles and the temps were hotter than I'm used to when towing. There was also a sound from the truck like a jet engine running. When I stopped to check it out, it quit. Started again when I was towing, but stopped each time I stopped to check.

#22 ·
Took my 2016 in today for the last pre-paid oil change and recalls. Called yesterday ref VB1 and parts dept. said none available, wasn't surprised. Service manager came out today and said that they had parts on hand (manufacture date of January 2020). Completed VB1 and VA7 recalls. Did anyone get any additional paperwork for the added 12 months of AEM warranty with VA7 or is the info just added in FCA's database? Tried to get info from the mechanic on how much soot they saw (GDE for most of life), but they wouldn't provide any info.

Attachments

#23 ·
Figured it was about time to call in for the EGR and AEM updates for my 2016 and was told EGR cooler was not yet available for my truck. I then proceeded to ask for some kind of expected date and was told the "system" did not show any date. I figured by now a schedule of some sort should be in place as production output would be known, not just an answer of no information available. The problem without some kind of time frame we are all left to resort to having to call back every so often for who knows how long, not good service IMO.

#25 ·
What a difference a day makes. While waiting for my AEM update I hit the parts counter to ask about availability and was told they have six in stock, odd thing he added not all get replaced as they are first inspected and it goes by VIN. I then asked if he meant the intake manifold and he went on to say there is a long procedure for this recall, so left it at that. So off to the service writer to inquire and was told sure we can set you up as we just found in the last day or two 2016s where approved for the recall. So back in next week but glad to have it scheduled.

#26 ·
Just had my 2015 EGR replaced, supposedly out of the box the actuator was broken (where the vac tube connects) and somehow a day later they got a replacement. Was told that other replacements were out to October, per the service manager.

#27 ·
Just yesterday the local dealer Lithia Ram Jeep of Wasilla said no parts are available for 2018 trucks. They said only '14-'16 have parts? I don't have a clue if Lithia sold enough ED to be familiar with them. I know they sell/service lots Ram/Cummins.
My email from Ram said parts will be available end of May, still no official letter about the recall. Here it is 5 of June and nada. Has anyone with a '18-'19 been repaired? Is it possible that '18 EGR are different than the older trucks?
I've been putting off a drive to visit my folks in California 7K + mile round trip, fear melting down middle of nowhere in Yukon territory- Canada. Dealer said I'm good to go, guess I'm going to go for it......

#29 ·
Just yesterday the local dealer Lithia Ram Jeep of Wasilla said no parts are available for 2018 trucks. They said only '14-'16 have parts? I don't have a clue if Lithia sold enough ED to be familiar with them. I know they sell/service lots Ram/Cummins.
My email from Ram said parts will be available end of May, still no official letter about the recall. Here it is 5 of June and nada. Has anyone with a '18-'19 been repaired? Is it possible that '18 EGR are different than the older trucks?
I've been putting off a drive to visit my folks in California 7K + mile round trip, fear melting down middle of nowhere in Yukon territory- Canada. Dealer said I'm good to go, guess I'm going to go for it......
Hi there, there are parts available for 2014-2015 model years currently. 2016 - 2019 will come out later this month. You will get a letter in the mail once they are available for your model year.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

Took my 2015 in yesterday and was told by SM parts won't be avail. till June 18th but the serv. writer sez back ordered 'till April 2021 which I heard mentioned here on the board before! SM sez leave truck for 'repair' as it is losing coolant, and that will get FCA to prioritize it vs. coming in for the just the recall and ordering the part via the VIN. Then service rep sez most likely they will send an old part for temp replacement as the new part already 'was found to be failing (bad/defective) and they are working on a revised-revised EGR (!) hence the back order 'till next year.
I don't know if these guys simply don't know what they are talking about or what. I figure the good diesel tech I like at that dealership and the wholesale parts guy are the only ones that know what the deal really is and am waiting to hear back once they get on it.
2014-2015 model years are able to be fixed now. 2016-2019 will come later this month. There also is not a back order until next year and we aren't changing the part again. Parts are limited but available. If you'd like help from us with setting up an appointment, just send us a PM with your VIN and dealer name.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

#28 ·
Took my 2015 in yesterday and was told by SM parts won't be avail. till June 18th but the serv. writer sez back ordered 'till April 2021 which I heard mentioned here on the board before! SM sez leave truck for 'repair' as it is losing coolant, and that will get FCA to prioritize it vs. coming in for the just the recall and ordering the part via the VIN. Then service rep sez most likely they will send an old part for temp replacement as the new part already 'was found to be failing (bad/defective) and they are working on a revised-revised EGR (!) hence the back order 'till next year.
I don't know if these guys simply don't know what they are talking about or what. I figure the good diesel tech I like at that dealership and the wholesale parts guy are the only ones that know what the deal really is and am waiting to hear back once they get on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.