RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit the bullet & scheduled VB1 & VA7 recall last week. 5/14 appointment & dropped off at 11:30 am. Now I'm glad I opted for the rental. Loaner is a 2019 BH hemi. It gets up & goes, but is horrible on any sort of hill. Drinks gas like no other!!

Got a call Friday, SA said the mechanic broke a bolt & wouldn't be able to finish by end of day. Shop is only open till 4:30 with the pandemic. So, its approaching 2:30 local time here on Monday & no word on truck. Great... I call, SA is on phone will call me back. I missed his call but he left VM stating 2 studs on back of turbo broke won't get those in until tomorrow AM. Another day with a gasser....

I hope everyone else is having better luck than me.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Make sure the broken bolts are documented in the service write up as evidence down the road. You know how it works on Judge Judy...the one with documentation wins!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can’t complain really... it’s kinda like when your child or loved one is in surgery. You know they’ll be ok, but the wait is too much. And you know the bill (gas bill) will be here before you know it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, my luck continues... Called yesterday (monday). Broke 2 bolts off on turbo. Bolts were scheduled to be in first thing this morning (tuesday). Just called to check on it. Now I'm getting new turbo. Mechanical said it would cause more damage to try to remove. I'm supposed to check in tomorrow to see if it's done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, my luck continues... Called yesterday (monday). Broke 2 bolts off on turbo. Bolts were scheduled to be in first thing this morning (tuesday). Just called to check on it. Now I'm getting new turbo. Mechanical said it would cause more damage to try to remove. I'm supposed to check in tomorrow to see if it's done.
I cannot complain, got a call from the dealership I bought the vehicle from to come in for the VB1 recall (2018 Laramie with 20K miles). Set up an appointment for 7:30am yesterday. When I got there I said I would be waiting for my truck, they told me because its a diesel it takes longer to cool down to replace the EGR cooler and it would take between 4 & 5hrs to complete and they offered to take me home (25mls) and pick me up when the vehicle is ready. I told the service advisor that I have heard horror stories after having this recall done. They assured me it will be ok when I got it back.
It actually took the 5hrs by the time they picked me up. The service advisor said they drove it for 4mls and everything is good.
Happy with the service I received from this dealer and my GDE tune still works, so I know they did not perform any software updates on the ECU.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I cannot complain, got a call from the dealership I bought the vehicle from to come in for the VB1 recall (2018 Laramie with 20K miles). Set up an appointment for 7:30am yesterday. When I got there I said I would be waiting for my truck, they told me because its a diesel it takes longer to cool down to replace the EGR cooler and it would take between 4 & 5hrs to complete and they offered to take me home (25mls) and pick me up when the vehicle is ready. I told the service advisor that I have heard horror stories after having this recall done. They assured me it will be ok when I got it back.
It actually took the 5hrs by the time they picked me up. The service advisor said they drove it for 4mls and everything is good.
Happy with the service I received from this dealer and my GDE tune still works, so I know they did not perform any software updates on the ECU.
Assuming you don't have a spare ECU, you are risking a lot by trusting a dealer not to overwrite your ECM. If they do, you are out-of-luck to get the same firmware from GDE.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ran out of patience... “more parts, Should be ready on Friday”. Um, no. I’ll be there Friday at noon to get it whether it’s done or not. Requested service manager & naturally they’re on another call. Probably getting chewed bu another upset customer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Assuming you don't have a spare ECU, you are risking a lot by trusting a dealer not to overwrite your ECM. If they do, you are out-of-luck to get the same firmware from GDE.
Thanks, I have a spare and I can write my GDE tune back to it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it back!!

I’ll post pic with the EGR number. Coolant is definitely different color.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts