RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a nightmare experience I've had with this recall... I took my truck in to the dealership as my light was on with codes p200a & p200b. They originally said everything was covered under recall vb1. FCA gave me a loaner and I got it back after 3 weeks. Thought the problem was fixed. As I was driving it home from the dealership the CEL came back on, same codes. Called them and scheduled another appointment to have it looked at again. They told me it needs a new intake manifold which I thought was done under the recall. Now they're arguing with me and want close to 1000 dollars to put a new intake manifold on it because theyre claiming its not covered under recall. Has anyone else experienced this kind of headache with this recall?

·
Registered
267 Posts
It's clearly stated in the recall that the intake manifold is covered. Read the recall with them or have them call FCA.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, did this. My dealer is making the claim that because my truck isn't showing the correct code in relation to the manifold they won't replace it under recall. He states that in order for the manifold to be covered under recall vb1 it has to have 2 specific codes. So, his exact words were i need a new intake manifold because of the EGR, but because my truck is showing 2 different codes they won't fix it. It is an absolute nightmare to get ahold of your case manager at FCA... which is what I'm waiting on now.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
As I said in another thread, time to move on. Life is too short to deal with this crap. I tried to make an appointment to get VB1 done and they won't/can't give me an appointment date because they don't have EGR coolers. The recall letter that they sent says "parts are available", but when I called them they tell me that they are allocating 1 part per week to each dealer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think so, it might be time to move on. The truck only has 70000 miles on it and this is just dumb. How do you list in your official recall letter that if the manifold is damaged it will be replaced. Then, when someone's manifold is damaged, tell them they have to pay because it doesn't match the codes on their sheet. My recall letter doesn't mention anything about codes, just that if the manifold is damaged it will be replaced.

·
Registered
102 Posts
FWIW those codes are not associated with a malfunctioning egr, but rather, a properly functioning one.

I'm pretty sure FCA is referring to physical damage of the intake due to a fire or overheated egr gases damaging the intake.

What those codes usually represent are your swirl valves inside the manifold not being able to reset or function properly due the excess amount of soot the properly functioning egr has deposited there.
That is why so many here have advocated getting a tune or deleting it.

Fight them if you have the strength and perhaps you may succeed in getting it covered. I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
396 Posts
You could hire an attorney if it means that much to get a proper resolution. Unfortunately the all too often outcome in a lawsuit is that the attorneys do well and one party gets the shaft...you. Or you could deposit a smoldering/flaming bag of dog crap on their front doorstep. Of course, for maximum gratification you must watch (or video) the stomping of the bag from a distance.

·
Registered
931 Posts
FWIW those codes are not associated with a malfunctioning egr, but rather, a properly functioning one.

I'm pretty sure FCA is referring to physical damage of the intake due to a fire or overheated egr gases damaging the intake.

What those codes usually represent are your swirl valves inside the manifold not being able to reset or function properly due the excess amount of soot the properly functioning egr has deposited there.

Fight them if you have the strength and perhaps you may succeed in getting it covered. I hope it works out for you.
Plus I would argue that since your EGR cooler was leaking because it was faulty, those swirl valves are coated in a sludgie soot accumulation that would not have been an issue if it weren't for the coolant being drawn into the intake.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The problem with this theory is the dealer rightly admitted my truck had a broken egr, cracked and leaking. They then fixed the EGR and said that it needed a new intake manifold. Im just annoyed that in the vb1 recall notice it says the manifold is to be replaced if damaged, yet they won't replace it even though it is damaged. According to the dealer that is. I will probably find someone to fix it locally for cheap, but im extremely disappointed with chrysler and my dealer.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I thought part of the recall was to inspect the intake for pits & cracks?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Go to another dealer. Call FCA and start a STAR case. If the intake manifold is damaged from hot gasses then they have to replace it. If there is another issue unrelated to the manifold burning up then the dealer may have a case.

Reactions: NPRBoy

·
Registered
199 Posts
based on what you're saying, it sounds like they took a shortcut, didn't do the inspection/test for the manifold and just replaced the EGR. Then they processed the paperwork for the recall to get paid by FCA saying the recall is done. They can't go back to FCA after the fact and say "we need to charge this to the recall also", so they are trying to charge you instead. It's BS, it's their screw up and they should pay for it, but you'll have a hard time proving that or getting them to own up to it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
based on what you're saying, it sounds like they took a shortcut, didn't do the inspection/test for the manifold and just replaced the EGR. Then they processed the paperwork for the recall to get paid by FCA saying the recall is done. They can't go back to FCA after the fact and say "we need to charge this to the recall also", so they are trying to charge you instead. It's BS, it's their screw up and they should pay for it, but you'll have a hard time proving that or getting them to own up to it.
This is what i thought. Ya, I'm waiting for FCA to contact me. They take forever to get in touch. I figure there is no way the dealer will own up to their mistake so I need FCA to step in. FCA is just horrible to deal with as my case manager is impossible to get a hold of and she never responds to my voicemails...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Intake manifold is covered under the powertrain warranty for 100k miles for you guys in the states regardless of AEM bullshit. Look in your warranty manual and show it to your dealer.
I purchased this truck used and its a 2015 so its 5 years old. Would that warranty still apply?

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
it is part of the recall for all 2014 to 2019 , nothing to do with 5 year warranty ,

time to send a private message to member "RamCares ", member on the forum here ,
they should straighten out the dealer ( thief ) .
---
post # 29 in here has member RamCares :

·
Registered
131 Posts
Where is this ass clown of a service manager located if you don't mind me asking? I'd like to make sure to steer well clear of this buffoon.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts