RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Update:

So I got a hold of chrysler. They refuse to do anything. So, if you need the recall done and need a new manifold but your truck throws up codes p200a and p200b you're screwed. They will refuse to fix the manifold. FCA and my case manager flat out refused it even though they rightly admitted the damage to the intake is from the egr. Extremely disappointed with FCA at this point.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I don't agree with them, the EGR system sucks as does the plastic manifold but trying to look at it objectively....though I am not a mechanic and because of the pandemic I've not even been sleeping in Holiday Inns lately..

Looking at the codes I think it is a swirl valve issue which is not covered by either the EGR Recall or the AEM warranty. It would be covered by an extended warranty or the 5/100000 power train warranty.

They did not inspect the manifold because your truck didn't present the right codes to require that inspection so from their perspective it is an unrelated failure. And yes, the EGR is spewing crap into the manifold and that is likely what caused the problem, but the recall was for burning holes in the manifold.

·
Registered
923 Posts
This is where a technically savy service adviser goes to bat for the customer because deep down they know the root cause......leaking EGR cooler.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd get in touch with the attorneys that handled the emissions lawsuit. I had an issue with the flange bolts after the DPF and before the SCR, RAM Care didn't help besides a "cost share" offer. The person I worked with was very helpful and just today I got emailed from FCA that a check is in the mail.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So my truck has not had recall VA7 completed, would that help in my case if that recall provides me with an extended warranty?

I think I'm SOL at this point.

·
Registered
197 Posts
VA7 only extends the original AEM warranty by 12 months, covering the same parts. This does not include the intake manifold, so the AEM warranty, nor VA7 extension, will cover a new intake.

However! It does cover the "Intake Swirl Actuator Sensor" which would be responsible for determining swirl valve position and ultimately setting both codes p200a and p200b. So you could go back to them with that, and ask them to replace the sensor under warranty. There's no guarantee that it would work, but they would have to at least remove and "inspect" the manifold to replace the sensor, and then may replace everything under warranty. You may get lucky and find the intake is perfectly fine and the sensor really is the problem. There's a lot of ifs and maybes in there so I can't guarantee it will work.

Also, you could go to them and say essentially that you're trying to meet them halfway, you get what you want, they get paid, everybody goes home happy. You will have to be the bigger man, and not accuse them of their initial screw-up; but you catch more flies with honey...

If that doesn't work, maybe take ruraldodge's advice and get the attorneys involved. They may not help because technically the EGR recall is a completely separate issue from the AEM and they are primarily concerned with AEM issues, but it's worth a shot.

Also, a counter point to bill-e's post above:

They did not inspect the manifold because your truck didn't present the right codes to require that inspection so from their perspective it is an unrelated failure.
I agree that the codes point to the swirl valves, and they aren't specifically covered by the recall. But they are integral to the manifold, cannot be replaced separately from the manifold, and as such would be considered a part of the intake manifold assembly.

And the official recall notice does not say "technician will inspect the intake if he sees the right codes" it says "Dealers will also inspect and, as necessary, replace the intake manifold". The decision to do the inspection is not left up to the dealer or the tech based on his interpretation of existing codes; if the recall says it will be done, it had better be done.

This may be ammo for the lawyers too

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
VA7 only extends the original AEM warranty by 12 months, covering the same parts. This does not include the intake manifold, so the AEM warranty, nor VA7 extension, will cover a new intake.

However! It does cover the "Intake Swirl Actuator Sensor" which would be responsible for determining swirl valve position and ultimately setting both codes p200a and p200b. So you could go back to them with that, and ask them to replace the sensor under warranty. There's no guarantee that it would work, but they would have to at least remove and "inspect" the manifold to replace the sensor, and then may replace everything under warranty. You may get lucky and find the intake is perfectly fine and the sensor really is the problem. There's a lot of ifs and maybes in there so I can't guarantee it will work.

Also, you could go to them and say essentially that you're trying to meet them halfway, you get what you want, they get paid, everybody goes home happy. You will have to be the bigger man, and not accuse them of their initial screw-up; but you catch more flies with honey...

If that doesn't work, maybe take ruraldodge's advice and get the attorneys involved. They may not help because technically the EGR recall is a completely separate issue from the AEM and they are primarily concerned with AEM issues, but it's worth a shot.

Also, a counter point to bill-e's post above:

I agree that the codes point to the swirl valves, and they aren't specifically covered by the recall. But they are integral to the manifold, cannot be replaced separately from the manifold, and as such would be considered a part of the intake manifold assembly.

And the official recall notice does not say "technician will inspect the intake if he sees the right codes" it says "Dealers will also inspect and, as necessary, replace the intake manifold". The decision to do the inspection is not left up to the dealer or the tech based on his interpretation of existing codes; if the recall says it will be done, it had better be done.

View attachment 86785

I'm speaking with one of the supervisors at FCA today about it. I filed a formal complaint with the NHTSA, and a supervisor called me soon after. We're going to talk more today about it, so we'll see.

·
Registered
197 Posts
good to hear, good luck!

·
Registered
861 Posts

View attachment 86785

If you read the actual instructions to the tech, the codes listed in this thread would not trigger the inspection.

Here's an excerpt from the TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCRIT-19V757-8953.pdf

9. Does the vehicle have one or both of the following DTC’s below?
 P0299 – Turbocharger Underboost Condition
 P2D2F – Cold Start Turbocharger Underboost
Condition YES - Proceed to section B. Intake Manifold Inspection and Pressure Test
NO - Advise customer of any DTC(s) and proceed with section E. Replace EGR Cooler

What you quoted was a top level summary that was presented in the Recall notice. The actual instructions for implementing that recall is what I have posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What a nightmare experience I've had with this recall... I took my truck in to the dealership as my light was on with codes p200a & p200b. They originally said everything was covered under recall vb1. FCA gave me a loaner and I got it back after 3 weeks. Thought the problem was fixed. As I was driving it home from the dealership the CEL came back on, same codes. Called them and scheduled another appointment to have it looked at again. They told me it needs a new intake manifold which I thought was done under the recall. Now they're arguing with me and want close to 1000 dollars to put a new intake manifold on it because theyre claiming its not covered under recall. Has anyone else experienced this kind of headache with this recall?
Have a 17 eco,egr recall,two months to get it back. They were running test,found out my intake manifold was sucking it air,replaced it. Couple days later,code came on for DPF,took it back,they said a software glitch,bout five days later,same DPF code,took it back,got it back bout eight days later,bad sensor they told me. Bout four or five days later,same DPF code,took it back,bout two weeks later got it back,they replaced the whole DPF unit,had a hole in it they told me. Went to Montana and back,no lights( thank goodness) but I’m really leery now of the whole DPF crap.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Recall service instructions only trigger manifold work if the proper codes are up. It is not mandatory nor covered under the recall to inspect the manifold otherwise. Went thru this with the dealer, and he showed me their recall instructions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What a nightmare experience I've had with this recall... I took my truck in to the dealership as my light was on with codes p200a & p200b. They originally said everything was covered under recall vb1. FCA gave me a loaner and I got it back after 3 weeks. Thought the problem was fixed. As I was driving it home from the dealership the CEL came back on, same codes. Called them and scheduled another appointment to have it looked at again. They told me it needs a new intake manifold which I thought was done under the recall. Now they're arguing with me and want close to 1000 dollars to put a new intake manifold on it because theyre claiming its not covered under recall. Has anyone else experienced this kind of headache with this recall?
They put on a new intake manifold, EGR cooler and 3 hoses and gave me a loaner for 3.5 weeks as part of the recall.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts