RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had this message on the display? Managed to keep away from the dealer for most of her 90,000 miles, guess I'll have to take her in?

·
Registered
238 Posts
thats a new one, sorry i have no input. keep us posted on what the solution is

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! No navigation. Checked Uconnect, no updates. Guess I'll find out Monday. BTW, the 911 button on the mirror lights up brightly when the message pops up.

·
Administrator
8,859 Posts
Let us know what you find out. It's often the sierra wireless card that fails on earlier models. Not sure about the 17's. When the card fails, the NAV quits working and that's why I asked. I had the service phone message on my 2014 and the fix was to replace the unit.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
97, hoping I don't have to replace the whole unit, sounds expensive. Already hate paying big bucks for dealer to diagnose. Last time they diagnosed a faulty shifter, but it was only water in an electrical connection.

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,588 Posts
If you have to replace the 8.4(or any of the radios), you can pick up one from a salvage yard fairly inexpensively. Any one from a 14-17 model year will work, even a navigation one in a truck that didn't originally. +18 model year radios are more expensive and you need to change the hub for Android Auto/Car Play support. Be sure to get the original truck VIN as you may need to get the security code to unlock it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, took to dealer this morning, radio was working fine, just got the message once in a while.After 2 hours, service manager said " We tried to download the update, but now your radio is bricked" . Said they would try to get Ram to get me a new one. Can't make this up, haha. My friend told me to leave it alone, should have listened. We'll see.... At least they didn't mess with my tune.

·
Administrator
8,859 Posts
OK, took to dealer this morning, radio was working fine, just got the message once in a while.After 2 hours, service manager said " We tried to download the update, but now your radio is bricked" . Said they would try to get Ram to get me a new one. Can't make this up, haha. My friend told me to leave it alone, should have listened. We'll see.... At least they didn't mess with my tune.
When the wireless card fails, the unit can not receive software updates. It's probably not totally bricked. If the unit is reset after a failed update it will usually work again (not the wireless though). This is exactly what I went through when mine failed. I say blame the dealer for bricking the unit and let them replace it at their expense.

·
Registered
13 Posts
when my 2014 EcoDiesel was about 2 years old the dealer wanted to perform a update on the radio and I said okay. the update failed and not only did it break the radio nothing on the dash worked anymore or so they said. I didn't see my truck again until they replaced the radio about a week later. the service notes said that this was a possibility and the only remedy was to replace the radio. so they replaced the radio at no cost to me. it seems to me if they apply an update and it breaks your radio they should replace it at no charge even if it's out of warranty.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will call the service manager today. I'm less hot under the collar. He was saying they had to go thru Chrysler, was thinking it was their fault, not so much Chrysler's. Reminds me of going to the VA, go in for a hangnail, come out missing a leg, haha.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the 2018 big horn got similar message dealer diagnosed bad cable between the head unit and sat ant went to pick it up did same thing they had to order a new system it was on back order for 6 weeks they have been having issue with them not just in the ecodiesel but the Jeep Grand Cherokee also .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anyone had this message on the display? Managed to keep away from the dealer for most of her 90,000 miles, guess I'll have to take her in?
If you've "managed to stay away from the dealer for most of 90,000 miles", you've probably missed out on several important factory recalls. You might want to check those out.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Service manager said the Ram has approved a new unit, no idea when it happens though. I did bring it in twice, once for the tailgate recall and once for a CEL. They misdiagnosed the CEL as a faulty shifter, but I removed a wiring connector under the truck and water came out. Dielectric greased all connectors, no more CEL. Actually like my dealer. They know that my truck is tuned and know not to overwrite it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dealer called. my new radio is in and have appointment for install on Friday. The will charge me $125 for 1 hour diagnosis only. Still didn't want to pay anything, as radio was fine, then they bricked it. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New radio is in, all good. Dealer only charged 1 hour diagnosis. Gave ma a "veteran's discount". So $100 vs $125 . Almost 92,000 miles. Dealer is Quirk Ram/ Jeep in Bangor, Maine. So far, I'm much happier with them than former Toyota and Mazda dealers that I had. Also, I have driven Dodges for at least 635,000 miles total and they have been more reliable than all of the Toyotas and Mazdas, Chevys and Fords that I've owned.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts