RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. If this is been asked before I apologize. I’ve owned nothing but gas engines. Been turning wrenches since I was a very young kid. Been some motors for racing and a couple of automatic transmissions. Now. My question is this. I own a 2011 ram 1500 4x4 Hemi. I use her for work. Been a great truck, but I drive all over the USA and when I work out of my truck (cause it’s my office most of the time) I sit in my truck at idle anywhere from 8-10 hours a day. Now I know the ecodiesel is a diesel. Like the other diesels. Can I sit there with this motor and be safer than with my gas engine. Might be a dumb question. Idk. Like I said. I’ve never owned a diesel ever. I don’t need a Cummins. I don’t tow so no need for a 3/4 ton. 4x4 is a must. I go off road cause of my job at times. Any info to help me pull the trigger on trading my Hemi in for an ecodiesel will be greatly appreciated. Oh also, I’m not scared to upgrade to a bigger turbo and delete whatever to make the engine more efficient for itself. I don’t have emissions where I live. Thank you in advance. Please be easy on me.

·
Super Moderator
4,067 Posts
It's the emissions system that doesn't like the constant idling. Another facet about a diesel is the the engine actually loses heat when idling, so without extra means to retain heat the engine can actually cool off the the point where "wet stacking" (unburnt fuel runs down the cylinder walls into the crankcase) occurs. Part of the reason semi engine hold so many gallons of oil was fuel and soot dilution, nowadays they don't idle the engine but use a aux power pack to keep engine warm.
It's not really safer to idle a diesel nowadays. You probably would need to do a full delete and if your in cold weather use a winter front to help keep the engine warm.

·
Registered
651 Posts
You shouldn't idle any truck for that long imho. Police vehicles with hemis have had quite a few cam/lifter failures from extended idling, probably the pentastars too. Diesels are great for going long distances, towing and using less fuel than gas vehicles. If you do get an Ecodiesel, read the owner's manual and read the forum to learn the proper procedures for changing oil, fuel filter, etc. If you like to turn wrenches, these trucks are quite easy to maintain. Tuning is available, at least in Canada, you don't need a bigger turbo, etc. Still nice to delete the EGR system to keep all the soot out of the motor. Honestly, I'd try to figure a way to cut down on your idle hours, regardless of vehicle. Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Highly recommend an ECM tune in order to delete the exhaust emissions and EGR. Then idle all you want.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the response brothers. I like the fact that it’s diesel. Should last forever. I’ll definitely be deleting the exhaust emissions and egr then. I idle a lot. Also drive cross country a lot with work. I don’t want a Cummins. I don’t need that nor a big 3/4 ton. 4x4 is a must. Who does good tunes? I’ve also seen the turbo kit from H&S motor sports. They claim lower egt temps..?.. that’s the exhaust gas temps right? I know nothing about diesels but I’m eager to learn. I’m not into rolling coal but if it happens that’s cool. I just want some pep when I’m passing cars on the two lane hwy or when I need it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the response brothers. I like the fact that it’s diesel. Should last forever. I’ll definitely be deleting the exhaust emissions and egr then. I idle a lot. Also drive cross country a lot with work. I don’t want a Cummins. I don’t need that nor a big 3/4 ton. 4x4 is a must. Who does good tunes? I’ve also seen the turbo kit

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got my settlement check after 2 visits to the dealer for software upgrades and the truck isn't running like it used to. I am heading back this week for another software upgrade. I'd like to get a tune but options now appear to be limited. Just wondering what folks take is on the SFT. I saw they have a hand held tuner which you can pop the old code back on if you need to bring it into the dealer. Any advice?

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Know you have now had four days to read around. "Should last forever" may not apply to all diesel engines. Figurative speech like that is applicable to some diesels, like the Ford 1966 engine in my tractor. Some models in the past might also fit that description. Same with some today if you do a delete. So far the three main 3.0 L diesels offered in pickups here in the U.S. have not shown they would add to that figurative language. At least, not yet. For all too many, "forever" has been a short time.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
If you live in Canada the best tune to get is GDE ,
GDE no longer doing business with USA customers , but business as usual with Canadian customers .
--------------------------
when GDE got shut-down , they recommended HD diesel supply in Canada .
post # 9 from GDE about HD Diesel Supply

Out With One - In With SFT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I’m in the USA. There’s no company that sells a tuner that y’all could recommend?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol. I definitely want the egr delete right away. I’m liking that bigger turbo kit from H&S motor sports. Not bad on the price either. Figure buy everything then throw it all at it at once. Why I was looking into a hand held tuner that monitors would be nice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts