RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage, MRTuning Stage 2, Timbren bump stops, Straight Pipe
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just wanting to confirm this is the correct terminology. After driving for a bit and I stop and put the truck in park I hear a lot of whoosh, then normal idle, then whoosh, the idle. Can go on for a few minutes sometimes. Since I'm fully deleted (EGR stage 2/DPF) and straight piped it's quite loud when this VGT calibration is going on.

Is there a better way of describing what this noise is? From what I remember it's the vanes on the turbo doing a recalibration or test of some sort.

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage, MRTuning Stage 2, Timbren bump stops, Straight Pipe
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be a garbage tune you are running. It is still changing operating modes, it is not the VGT calibration.
I've ran two different tunes now and they both did it. Does the stock tune also do this sort of calibration on the vanes of the turbo?

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you can monitor the VGT position you will probably see it going from like 0% to 90%. Back and forth. I had a tune that would do as your describing years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have to check the TorquePro app and see if VGT position is an option in there. Thanks for tip!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Is your air conditioning running when this happens?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Hello,

Just wanting to confirm this is the correct terminology. After driving for a bit and I stop and put the truck in park I hear a lot of whoosh, then normal idle, then whoosh, the idle. Can go on for a few minutes sometimes. Since I'm fully deleted (EGR stage 2/DPF) and straight piped it's quite loud when this VGT calibration is going on.

Is there a better way of describing what this noise is? From what I remember it's the vanes on the turbo doing a recalibration or test of some sort.
Whose tune are you running?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't see anything for VGT position in the torque pro app. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,795 Posts
I don't see anything for VGT position in the torque pro app. Any ideas?
Add this:
PID: 0171
Long Name: Variable Geometry Turbo Position EcoD
Short Name: VGT Pos
Minimum value: 0
Maximum value: 100
Scale Factor: 1x
Unit Type: %
Equation: (C*100)/255

More PIDs can be found here:
There's more scattered throughout the thread.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just wanted to provide an update. My tuner here in Alberta, Canada was starting to see some bizarre issues with my ECM. Most likely from trying to tune over an existing tune. Luckily he had a contact at a local Chrysler dealer who was able to get the EMC and TCM back to factory. After a short 10min drive back to the tuner with every check engine light available going on (fully deleted, EGR Stage 2 and DPF) we were able to easily load the new HP Tuners tune back into the truck and so far my VGT calibrations are now only 4-5 cycles when turning the truck on/off which seems more normal than it cycling for minutes at a time.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since I started monitoring the VGT position I've found a new issue. When cruising down the highway, going uphill with load on the engine everything is fine. Seeing 0-10psi of boost, 800-900 EGT, VGT position 80-85%. As soon as I crest the hill and start going downhill the boost skyrockets to 20+psi, VGT position drops to 40% and I'm hearing the turbo surge noise. Is this just bad tuning on the turbo brake feature or an issue with the VGT part of the turbo? I have a log file from TorquePro I could share if someone with more experience can pinpoint the issue.

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
590 Posts
So I have this same noise on my deleted truck with an unknown tune... Its always for it since ive owned it and the "surging" noise only lasts 5 seconds or so in my case but its very noticaeable I believe due to the straight piped exhaust with no mufflers or filter in place..

Ive searched multiple times and this is the first time Ive actually found anything in relation to it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I have this same noise on my deleted truck with an unknown tune... Its always for it since ive owned it and the "surging" noise only lasts 5 seconds or so in my case but its very noticaeable I believe due to the straight piped exhaust with no mufflers or filter in place..

Ive searched multiple times and this is the first time Ive actually found anything in relation to it.
I also thought maybe something unique to my setup as I'm also completely deleted (EGR, DPF, SCR, Muffler, Resonators) but after a dealer visit to get factory reset and loaded my MrTuning tune it's gone completely.

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
590 Posts
I also thought maybe something unique to my setup as I'm also completely deleted (EGR, DPF, SCR, Muffler, Resonators) but after a dealer visit to get factory reset and loaded my MrTuning tune it's gone completely.
interesting

1 - 20 of 20 Posts