RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

i own a 2015 ecodiesel, with 88K on it. i have noticed a vibration in the entire truck while driving. so i knew i was due for new tires anyways. i had 4 new tires installed (20inch factory rims), they are the good year that come with the truck, with mount, balance, and alignment. about 2 weeks into it we noticed vibs (50-70) in the front end / in the cab, slight pulling to the left. called the shop, they said bring it in for a check. they fixed it. new people in the shop...need i say more. my wife drives me truck more then me to save mileage and fuel. she said the vibs have been coming back. so i drove it on the highway at 70 and your teeth rattle in your head, the passenger side chair shakes something terrible. i took the truck to work, went to the auto shop on base and i had the tires re-balanced. they all were out 3-5 oz as soon as they put them on the machine. so they scrapped everything clean and re balanced all 4.

this being said. i drove the truck home, noticed slight vibs in the cabin as i was driving on the highway around 70-75. nothing close to what we were getting. thinking, whatever ill deal with it until i get my lift with new rims and tires. wife drove the truck the next day and she called me freaking out because at 45 the truck wanted to shake itself apart. she got the truck home and when i got home from work i jacked up each side. shook the tires, everything was tight, no loose lugs. i broke all the lugs loose and re torqued down the tires. i just drove it. only feeling a slight vibs in the cabin (i feel it in the steering but it is the same as i feel in the cabin) at 70-75 in the beginning, as you are driving it gets worse. drove about 20 miles and when i got home all lugs were still torqued down. i am scratching my head now wondering....

things i checked already

- tie rods have no play
- hubs are not loose
- u joints on driveshaft are tight
- half shafts upfront are tight.
- lugs are torqued to 140lbs

maybe a bad tire? i see not bulges or unevenness in rolling.

please help!

sorry this thread is all over the place

jim

·
Registered
698 Posts
I am thinking it is probably the tires. The Goodyear's over the years seem to have been hit or miss. Mine were great and I got 55k miles with some decent tread left, but other people struggled to get 20k out of them.

Some things to check, front end alignment, a good font end shop could check for anything that may be bent, shocks, if you have the chrome clad wheels they may have dirt build up somewhere, check them, tires may be out of round. Years ago I had a side belt that was bad (new) and the tire wobbled.

I am sure other suggestions will follow. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Tire shops are hit and miss it all depends on how they balance the tires and wheels. The two main types are static and dynamic and since you complain about vibration at speed it sounds like they are doing a static balance. It also matters if the wheel is designed as hub centric or lug centric they need to use the correct adaptor. It is likely the tire shop that is the issue. If they cant fix the issue then find a different goodyear shop.

·
Registered
12,464 Posts
Go back again to where you bought those tires. Have them both checked throughly and also rotated so the front ones are in the back. If that changes the issue, it's a sign it just may be one or more tires.

My early experience is those factory passenger-rated tires are not as well made as a light truck (LT) or a full "E" rated tire. Just something to remember for the future.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I am sitting at the shop where I got it. They test drove it and when he came back it went right on the lift.

The first 2 times they did it, they did dynamic and the shop on base did road force. They are the good year SRA on the Factory 20inch rims (2015 Laramie). I didnt go to bed till 530 this morning and been here at the shop since 930. I am glad I have the rotation and balance for life with these tires. The guys said they are gonna look and see what it is. I hope its just a tire or alignment. She doesn't seem to pull. Nothing that seemed different then for what the road conditions are.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since no vibrations in the front end and only a cabin vibration they did the backs. Found them to be out of balance again. So far the truck drives okay. I will really know when I leave for work and I get on 95 and get up to speed (70mph). They did say come back tomorrow if the problem comes back and they will re do the fronts and rotate tires around to see if the problem follows. They squeezed me in today so the machine was taken up when I got back from the test drive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Go back again to where you bought those tires. Have them both checked throughly and also rotated so the front ones are in the back. If that changes the issue, it's a sign it just may be one or more tires.

My early experience is those factory passenger-rated tires are not as well made as a light truck (LT) or a full "E" rated tire. Just something to remember for the future.
i should of thought of that before hand, was just under the impression that what came from the factory was best for now until i got my lift and tires put on in the future, if i decide to keep this truck. been problems since i bought it.
i am about to bring it back to the dealership, she has been eating coolant since the emission recall now. noticed carbon slug in my intake from the EGR tube, used to be just a dense powder now its has a gummy texture and my coolant now at the bottom of the fill range compared to the full mark it was just at about 1 month ago. wife noticed the avg fuel mileage has dropped about 3-4 MPG since the update. Her average now 20 for her commute instead of 23-24 MPG. i was thinking GDE hot tune but not sure is towing is recommended on that tune setting. oh well.

jim

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Definitely have a road force balance done anytime they're balanced. Also consider more front/rear swaps to isolate the issue to just the tires.

Worst case, you might have to try a different shop irregardless of the lifetime balance/rotation deal you bought at the current shop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definitely have a road force balance done anytime they're balanced. Also consider more front/rear swaps to isolate the issue to just the tires.

Worst case, you might have to try a different shop irregardless of the lifetime balance/rotation deal you bought at the current shop.

today they are going to index and road force balance them all with a rotation. if the problem comes back i will be looking into other options. thinking they owe me 4 new tires of a different make..

OH my first post should of read NEVER noticed vibrations in the entire cab before i got new tires...i do not know how to edit these things so i can not fix it....this problem only started after the new tires.

·
Registered
615 Posts
If the vibration started after the new tires, I'd demand replacements from the company that sold them. You have to address the coolant loss ASAP. Either warrantee or maybe a stage 2 EGR block off and GDE tune? I agree, Goodyear SRA's are hit or miss. Mine will make it to 55,000 miles, my company truck, a hemi has 72,000 miles on them! When they are good, they are great, but when they are bad.....

·
Registered
12,464 Posts
You mentioned GDE and towing. Why?

GDE is better for towing than stock. Actually the issues with your EGR would probably not exist if there was GDE turning that gooey mess off. Now, if there is a leakage problem, that would probably have to be fixed. Then do GDE and clean up the mess in the air sensor and that intake tube.

Hope it's not too late to fix what running without a clean tune has caused.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well, if you have a problem with the EGR, that AEM warranty should take care of it. Get free parts while you can. I'm paying a stelership $140 to change the fuel filter, just so I don't have any issues if my HPFP goes out.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Tire shops are hit and miss it all depends on how they balance the tires and wheels. The two main types are static and dynamic and since you complain about vibration at speed it sounds like they are doing a static balance. It also matters if the wheel is designed as hub centric or lug centric they need to use the correct adaptor. It is likely the tire shop that is the issue. If they cant fix the issue then find a different goodyear shop.
Brokenbutgood is absolutely correct.....

I went thought the same thing a few years ago.. If they don't balance the wheels properly with a special jig (adaptor) that ensures the wheels are always held the right way in the same spot they will be out of balance every time they hang them on the machine, because they don't ever hang the same way on the machine without that jig... took me switching shops twice and two sets of tires at Sam's club expense because they don't have the right machine....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You mentioned GDE and towing. Why?

GDE is better for towing than stock. Actually the issues with your EGR would probably not exist if there was GDE turning that gooey mess off. Now, if there is a leakage problem, that would probably have to be fixed. Then do GDE and clean up the mess in the air sensor and that intake tube.

Hope it's not too late to fix what running without a clean tune has caused.
i was reading that with a hot tune, towing was not a good thing. if it does not hurt it i will just do that and no worry.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE!

so i had to get a road force balance done at a ford dealership because they are the only ones in the area that had a road force balance machine, 74 dollars this is what i learned, max limit is 26lbs. FRNT LH 11, FRNT RH 27 REAR LH 26 REAR RH 37. went back to the tire shop with this information. they replaced 3 of the 4 tires.

guess what! same issue still. vibes in the rear. they took the tire with 11 rating and placed that in the rear. still shakes. i no longer think it is a tire issue. so i started researching on here and other ram forum sites.

a common issue i been seeing is rear struts and leafs are "under rated" or worn out. with 89K on the truck i am thinking no but what the heck, what do you all think? i do carry some weight in the bed , no where near max, i do tow a 21 ft bay boat around at times(father in laws) that is about 4500lbs

this morning we towed the boat and i felt the vibes more in the cabin, nothing alarming just around 60 i felt it instead of the 65. i later went under the truck looked at the drive train. where the driveshaft aft u joint goes into the rear diff that seal is starting to leak, very little, just enough to notice. i checked the fluid and it is right at the hole on a level ground, the fluid color is an amber color so the leak just started and my fluid is good.

so now that i am thinking the tires are not the issue would the leaf and struts be a reasonable place to look next? i did a "bounce" test like we all do and nothing seems out of the norm.

or maybe the bearing in the rear would be the next place to look?

i have never had this issue and i am lost. chasing the phantom vibes is starting to drive me nuts.

oh i almost forgot, tonight driving around 45 i felt the vibes bad then went away, last night while my wife and i were driving to figure this out the vibes (65-75) were coming and going in waves, never going away just got stronger and weaker at those speeds and i didn't matter if i was constant, speeding up or slowly down.

jim

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
UPDATE!

so i had to get a road force balance done at a ford dealership because they are the only ones in the area that had a road force balance machine, 74 dollars this is what i learned, max limit is 26lbs. FRNT LH 11, FRNT RH 27 REAR LH 26 REAR RH 37. went back to the tire shop with this information. they replaced 3 of the 4 tires.

guess what! same issue still. vibes in the rear. they took the tire with 11 rating and placed that in the rear. still shakes. i no longer think it is a tire issue. so i started researching on here and other ram forum sites.

a common issue i been seeing is rear struts and leafs are "under rated" or worn out. with 89K on the truck i am thinking no but what the heck, what do you all think? i do carry some weight in the bed , no where near max, i do tow a 21 ft bay boat around at times(father in laws) that is about 4500lbs

this morning we towed the boat and i felt the vibes more in the cabin, nothing alarming just around 60 i felt it instead of the 65. i later went under the truck looked at the drive train. where the driveshaft aft u joint goes into the rear diff that seal is starting to leak, very little, just enough to notice. i checked the fluid and it is right at the hole on a level ground, the fluid color is an amber color so the leak just started and my fluid is good.

so now that i am thinking the tires are not the issue would the leaf and struts be a reasonable place to look next? i did a "bounce" test like we all do and nothing seems out of the norm.

or maybe the bearing in the rear would be the next place to look?

i have never had this issue and i am lost. chasing the phantom vibes is starting to drive me nuts.

oh i almost forgot, tonight driving around 45 i felt the vibes bad then went away, last night while my wife and i were driving to figure this out the vibes (65-75) were coming and going in waves, never going away just got stronger and weaker at those speeds and i didn't matter if i was constant, speeding up or slowly down.

jim
well it isn't winter anywhere in North America so it cannot be ice or snow building up on the inside of the wide wheels. Are you driving in enough mud where it could cake up on the backside of the wheels and throw them out of balance and then the shaking throws off a chunk of mud and it goes away? The ice and snow issue is a real problem up here when driving in slushy conditions with the temperature falling.

I don't see the details of your truck in your signature. If it is a crew cab and the 6'4" box it has a center bearing and ujoint for the driveshaft. That bearing could be a problem and there have been a few on this forum where the mounting bracket has loosened and that caused a vibration. If I remember correctly someone actually had the center bearing bracket dall off.

These are remote possibilities but could affect you if your circumstances are right.

It is very suspicious that it occurred simultaneously with the tire change. I guess another possibility is they damaged the a wheel or two when changing the tires. If you have steel wheels it is possible for them to bend/distort the center of the wheel if they are careless how they mount them on the tire machine. . This can cause nasty vibrations also. Unlikely problem with the aluminum wheels.

OK, enough rambling. Seems like you need to find a competent shop to diagnose the problem and if you have a competent dealer that might be a good bet since they likely see a bigger number of similar trucks than other places.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well it isn't winter anywhere in North America so it cannot be ice or snow building up on the inside of the wide wheels. Are you driving in enough mud where it could cake up on the backside of the wheels and throw them out of balance and then the shaking throws off a chunk of mud and it goes away? The ice and snow issue is a real problem up here when driving in slushy conditions with the temperature falling.

I don't see the details of your truck in your signature. If it is a crew cab and the 6'4" box it has a center bearing and ujoint for the driveshaft. That bearing could be a problem and there have been a few on this forum where the mounting bracket has loosened and that caused a vibration. If I remember correctly someone actually had the center bearing bracket dall off.

These are remote possibilities but could affect you if your circumstances are right.

It is very suspicious that it occurred simultaneously with the tire change. I guess another possibility is they damaged the a wheel or two when changing the tires. If you have steel wheels it is possible for them to bend/distort the center of the wheel if they are careless how they mount them on the tire machine. . This can cause nasty vibrations also. Unlikely problem with the aluminum wheels.

OK, enough rambling. Seems like you need to find a competent shop to diagnose the problem and if you have a competent dealer that might be a good bet since they likely see a bigger number of similar trucks than other places.
my wife drives my truck, i barely drive it. daily commute is to much for that truck is to much. it has only seen mud and that was 1 time a couple years ago. i have the 20" "chrome" rims i guess they are called chad? on it and they are mostly kept clean. just brake dust and what not from the road. i have a crew cab 6'4" on it i believe. it's a 4x4 as well. As far as the center bearing goes i will look into that. i have to get it to a lift and check, my buddy told me the same thing to check that and i was just told to check the driveshaft trans yoke bolts

i had the rims checked for run out and all rims were checked good. no bent rims were found.
i live in florida so no snow here lol
today i will check the bolts and bearing for play

1 - 20 of 25 Posts