RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of an aftermaket remote video cam that can be mounted on the rear of a travel trailer and possibly connected to the uconnect 8.4a screen?
Something like that would be very useful.
I've had my Eco-D Big Horn Quad cab for 3 weeks now and I love it. Mixed mileage in the 25 to 26 mpg range for the first 1800 miles. No problems so far- knock on simulated wood. I'm still learning things about the truck. I recently found out that when I thought I was turning on the fog lights, I was actually turning on the cargo light. Ha

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
i don't know if you can connect to the 8.4 because you likely have the rear backup camera now right? if so, then its connected to the 8.4 and you'd have to some how splice that... however, there are many camera's that do what you are asking for and have their own seperate monitor/display that you can mount on dash. may not be exactly what you are looking for, but there are some solutions available to give you that type of capability. for example: Amazon.com : Pyle PLCM36 3.5-Inch Slim TFT LCD Universal Mount Monitor with License Plate Mount Rear-view Night Vision Backup Camera : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Automotive

i realize the above is a license plate cam, but there are mounted camera's available, just wanted to show an example...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Try a Tractor Supply Store. A local fire department found them for less than $150.00 for their apparatus.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I had a camera that I mounted on the back of a 43' 5th wheel, hardwired to it's own monitor that I mounted on the dash. The system was from a company called "Rear View Safety" that specializes in commercial applications. I'm sure they could tell you if/how to interface with the 8.4.

Reactions: MsgtRegester

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Trailer has a license plate. So the license plate mounted cam would probably be the easiest. The hardest part would be finding the cable that's long enough.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Performance of the cheap wireless cameras (as discussed on RV forums) is not good when moving at highway speeds. Many work fine at parking lot/campground speeds and if you only need it for backing up the wireless may be adequate. I used mine mostly traveling down the road so I went for hard wired and found it invaluable when passing cars/trucks etc. The Rear View Safety kit I bought came with all the wires, connectors, cable ties etc that were needed. Again, I have no affiliation with this company, I'm just a satisfied customer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts